Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

In retrospect, is your FT name a mistake?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In retrospect, is your FT name a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Man.. what a huge mistake... gave mine no thought whatsoever.. Flyer 70... yawn!!!!!! Not even sure what the 70 refers to anymore... certainly not my age!!!!
Old May 11, 2008, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Mine is only a mistake because it doesn't really saying anything about me (besides the obvious).

If I were to start over today, I'd include some reference to my twin passions - skiing, and increasingly, sailing - in the handle.

Instead, I will always be know around here as a bumbling idiot. Which is just fine with me...
Old May 11, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by stimpy
I didn't know the Long Beach Gay Pride party lasted 3 days? But it is good to know Jailer made it. :-:

As for Stimpy, ya know how something seems cute and funny at the time, but the next day it's well, sooooo yesterday? That's Stimpy 9 years later.
Funny Stimpy.

Speaking of FT handles. I have known Stimpy for many years now and we use to hang out weekly at Staples Center and I always call him Stimpy and sometimes I forget what his real name is..yea yea it's Matt but Stimpy is who he is.
Old May 13, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
With family, friends and work in Wisconsin, I will always be MKEbound
Old May 20, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Alaska, Delta, United
My name is in honor of a dream my husband had before the birth of our first child sixteen years ago. He dreamt we named our child "Hoss"! He started calling me "hossmama" and I called him "hosspapa". In real life, "Hoss" turned out to be a beautiful girl we actually named Caroline. She now sometimes goes by the handle "hossbaby" and her sister Julia is "hosssister"! I happy with my name!
Old May 20, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
When I first found FT in 1998, I had just made OP Silver. There was the year that I came ohsoclose to OP Gold. I only knew one person who had ever made top-tier - he flew to Asia 5 or 6 times/yr in business class in the early-mid 90s, and regaled us with the tales of luxury on UA. So, I thought of myself as a Continental "frequent" flyer, and called myself CO FF.

2 years later, I switched jobs -- to a company based in Chicago, with offices in NY & DC, and a corporate deal with AA. 3 years after that, I moved to LA, and quickly hit PLT based on monthly trips to NYC. 2 years later, I switched my cc spend to SPG Amex and Citi AA MC, burned my nearly 400k OP miles on BF tix to TLV, and discovered that if I switched my handle, I'd lose my post count.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
I guess it's a little comforting that I was not the only one to pick a bad/thoughtless handle. I had lived in Seattle for so many years, and thought it would be clever & helpful to put the SEA in the name. But now I'm in LAX! I have been wondering if it's possible to change it, so thanks for the info about the one-time request.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Nope, it's the name I've used on the internet on boards since they started and allowed people to select a name versus a number (on prodigy).

As a matter of fact, a few people from other boards have found me here on FT because I've kept the same name.
This was true in the early days (of Flyertalk).

These days, my handle keeps me away from posting to some of the 'hot' threads on the United board. I hate keeping a low profile. It's not my style.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
I do most of my flying for research trips, and I don't get to pick where I'm going. So the name is pretty much perfect, until I inevitably screw things up and get canned. (Story of my life.) I'll just change my handle to "Unemployed" then, I guess.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
When I joined FT, I never thought I'd be using the handle to introduce myself to people in "real life". Strange to do at first, but it works.
Really? I'm picturing it like this:

"Hi. I'm GoingAway."

"No, you're not."

"Not what?"

"You're not GoingAway!"

"Yes, I am!"

"But you're right here!"

"What?"
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Science Drone
Originally Posted by GoingAway
When I joined FT, I never thought I'd be using the handle to introduce myself to people in "real life". Strange to do at first, but it works.

"Hi. I'm GoingAway."

"No, you're not."

"Not what?"

"You're not GoingAway!"

"Yes, I am!"

"But you're right here!"

"What?"
and here we have flyertalk's version of "who's on first"
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by goalie
flyertalk's version of "who's on first"
No, No, No, goalie, you've got it all wrong!!
Who's in First, What's in Business, and Why's in Economy!!!

That's FT's version!!

Dave
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by Science Drone
I do most of my flying for research trips, and I don't get to pick where I'm going. So the name is pretty much perfect, until I inevitably screw things up and get canned. (Story of my life.) I'll just change my handle to "Unemployed" then, I guess.

"Hi. I'm GoingAway."

"No, you're not."

"Not what?"

"You're not GoingAway!"

"Yes, I am!"

"But you're right here!"

"What?"
Thought the very similar idea when first met GoingAway. I didnt have a list of members who would be there and it was my first DO.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by bseller
No, No, No, goalie, you've got it all wrong!!
Who's in First, What's in Business, and Why's in Economy!!!

That's FT's version!!

Dave
touché tho wouldn't it be better with "i don't know" is in economy
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by goalie
Wouldn't it be better with "i don't know" is in economy
Touche again!
Dave
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:45 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I love my FT handle. When I joined, I'd say just about any name I would have wanted was available (member #215)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.