Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Coast-to-Island Do May 16-17 (Inflight Do and fun in HNL)!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coast-to-Island Do May 16-17 (Inflight Do and fun in HNL)!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
edit: just rebooked at the rate ben posted

Last edited by UCBeau; Mar 8, 2008 at 9:40 am
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UCBeau
edit: just rebooked at the rate ben posted
At which hotel?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:02 am

the doubletree waikiki of course :P
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Oh boy what a fare sale will do! or is that DO!?

Ben asked me to post here today with some thoughts as he is on his way to Orlando. Is that a segment run Ben?

First of all... ALOHA! everyone.

This DO will be a whirlwind of activity. Sleep? Nah, no one is going to get any so you might as well start stocking up now on some extra hours.

First lesson to learn. Hawaii does not participate in Daylight Savings Time, so there will be a 3 hour time difference for those on Pacific Daylight Time and a 6 hour time difference for those on Eastern Daylight Time. To those arriving on UA77 at 7:15 p.m. your body clock will be telling you it's 10:15 p.m. at the earliest and 1:15 a.m. at the latest....yuck. Then with traffic to Waikiki on a Friday night, you'll probably be at your hotel between 8:00-8:30.

At this point we will leave the arrival evening activities optional to those who are still awake. We'll probably just grab something to light to eat or maybe stop at Costco and get some roasted chickens, park at the beach and eat.

Saturday 5/17 is the Hawaii Hotel Association Charity Walk. I have worked this event as a volunteer for more than 15 years and it takes place mostly in Waikiki. It's a fun walk with 12 or so stops along the way each sponsored by a different hotel which provides yummy snacks and refreshments and entertainment to the walkers. The locals refer to it as the buffet walk because once you have sampled the treats along this 5 mile walk, walkers are treated to a plate lunch and entertainment at Ala Moana Park. This will tie up the streets between Ala Moana Park and Lewers in Waikiki from about 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

There have been many questions asked about what to do in such a short period of time. Should we leave the day open so people can pick and choose for themselves their top 1-2 things to accomplish or should we plan both a lunch and a dinner since the time is very limited? Of course, as FTers loyal to our points, people will be staying at different properties in Waikiki and logistics and transportation will be an issue.

Lewers Street has been renovated over a period of about 2 years there are many new restaurants in the area. Here is their web site: Waikiki Beach Walk It is also halfway between the Hyatt/Marriott crowd and the DoubleTree crowd. The restaurants in it cater toward island visitors in general. But the food is decent throughout.

Earlier this month the FTers who got the airfare deal to HNL went to Duke's. It's across the street from the Hyatt/Marriott people.

Ben mentioned his interest in seeing the Arizona Memorial. Tickets are first come first served, so you might have to wait before you get on a boat. Since 9/11 no one is allowed to bring a backpack, bag, or even purse. You can just bring a camera and whatever you fit in your pockets. There is a locker area and you can rent small lockers, but my friends tell me that they don't recommend that. It isn't really safe.

There are many things to choose from on Island during the day. It mostly depends on your interests. Surf, sand, sea, spectacular views, people watching. Some involve driving someplace or jumping on a tour. There are tours for everything, including one for LOST enthusiasts. I could sit here forever throwing out suggestions, but I think it would be a better idea if you think for yourself what you want to do Saturday. I don't want to overplan the day.

If you could shoot me a PM and let me know what you think of doing when you are in Hawaii, maybe we can come up with a schedule. Do you want to do a day hike? Do you want to sit on the beach and work on your tan? Do you want to take a guided tour or just meander through the city streets?

We will schedule a dinner Saturday night for 5:00 ish. I would prefer a beach restaurant location so we can enjoy the Hawaiian sunset. Prices in Hawaii are higher than the Mainland as most of you have noticed by the hotel prices. Let me know your preferred range for dinner prices and so we can come up with something within everyone's budget. Also, let me know whether or not you would be interested in a lunch on Saturday. We could even do a picnic!

Late addition
I forgot to suggest the Shore Bird Restaurant and Beach Bar where diners are invited to cook their own steak, chicken, or fish entrees on a large community grill. After ordering, your meat or seafood entree is brought to you raw. You walk over to a giant grill where you will find cooking sauces, spices, and barbecue utensils. If barbecuing is not your thing you can have your entree prepared for you.

Pat

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 9, 2008 at 1:32 pm Reason: added another restaurant option
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:27 pm

Pat do you know anything about the helicopter tours offered around the island? Thats one thing I've always wanted to do (I know it can be expensive and most if not all the rest of the FTers wouldn't do it)
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks so much to Pat for being awesme!^ I'm thinking Waikiki Beach Walk looks good for Friday night since it seems like there's plenty of places that we could walk up to without a reservation, based on how we feel. Duke's looks great for Saturday night, IMO, but I'd love to hear thoughts from others!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: 1K
I'm in!! Finally got all the flight booking issues worked out and I'm confirmed (sadly in E+, but I'll be there!)
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Just booked at the Moana Surfrider (Westin property) for points + $90.00. Not trying to be unsociable or anything as I know it's a fair way from the Hyatt, Marriott, etc., but it was too good a deal to pass up for such a lovely old property. Besides, it will be a nice walk down Kalakaua Ave to catch up with y'all.
Oops! Just realized that the Hyatt and Marriott properties are close to the Moana after all - my bad!

Last edited by chchkiwi; Mar 8, 2008 at 6:48 pm Reason: Added last sentence.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Wirelessly posted (blackberry pearl: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

May I yet suggest dinner @ big city diner @ the ward center? Or a picnic at ala moana park sounds good to. What sounds even better is getting some big city food and then doing a picnic.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just when I lost all hope where2next? and PlusOne have confirmed!^ ^ ^
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
We're in too! Can't wait to see the familiar faces and meet the new ones!

Lucky, sunset dinner/drinks at Dukes on the beach is a personal favorite, although the cafe Hsxagent suggests sounds good too.

Pat, thanks for starting us off with some suggestions. After spotting you on "voices" over the FRA MRs, I look forward to meeting you too.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'll throw out a couple of ideas too...

One of my favorite restaurants is Keo's in Waikiki (Thai). It's located about 2 blocks north of the Lewers / Beach Walk area.

It's possible to do a complete island day tour. One of the tours is RobertsHawaii. The full day tour goes to Diamond Head, Pali Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Halona Point (Blow Hole), the North Shore surfing beaches, and more.

Last edited by JeepGuyDE; Mar 8, 2008 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just added the hotels people have confirmed they're staying at the OP. If you want me to add your hotel please post here or PM me. Gracias!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Pat89339
This DO will be a whirlwind of activity. Sleep? Nah, no one is going to get any so you might as well start stocking up now on some extra hours.

There are many things to choose from on Island during the day. It mostly depends on your interests. Surf, sand, sea, spectacular views, people watching. Some involve driving someplace or jumping on a tour. There are tours for everything, including one for LOST enthusiasts. I could sit here forever throwing out suggestions, but I think it would be a better idea if you think for yourself what you want to do Saturday. I don't want to overplan the day.
Since I seem to be in the minority here as I have never been to Hawaii, I'm looking forward to seeing which activities you all deem worthy before making my decision.

I like the idea of picnicing for lunch (activities permitting) and eating dinner with a sunset view.

Since there will be so many of us going to nearby hotels, can we arrange for a group transfer from/to the airport? Assuming, of course, that a group transfer would be economically viable.

DD
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE
One of my favorite restaurants is Keo's in Waikiki (Thai). It's located about 2 blocks north of the Lewers / Beach Walk area.
I walked past there about 30 mins ago (after 7pm) and it looked full (one block from my hotel on Kuhio). If you're going to do it on Saturday night with a group, I wonder if it's best to make a reservation.

Tom in Honolulu (AA $219 weekend fare from SFO)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.