Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

If Every FT Member Phoned 10 Pharmacies....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If Every FT Member Phoned 10 Pharmacies....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KDAN
A couple of people have told me it wouldn't be difficult to make (including a fellow FT member). But it's a controlled substance, and I'd prefer not to go (or cause someone else to go) to jail.
If it is not a difficult synthesis for organic chemistry, you might consider taking a class or two, and investing a grand in lab equipment.

There is a solution to every problem. If the precursors are not on a watch list, I wouldn't hesitate to roll my own if the need was dire. The Feds are not our friends, after all. @:-)
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i've tried a number of pharmacies in north houston/tomball and in town--think i'm up to 25--and still no luck. i'll keep trying, made myself a list of 40 or so. elll, are you just hitting independent pharmacies in houston? i'd hate for us to be doing double the work...
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karenkay
i've tried a number of pharmacies in north houston/tomball and in town--think i'm up to 25--and still no luck.
My success rate has been approximately 1 out of 100, so don't feel as though you're failing.

By the way: It just occurred to me that most of the pharmacies operated by hospitals probably aren't listed in the Yellow Pages (including online versions). That might offer much better odds: Calling hospitals in your area and asking for the pharmacy.

Just an idea (and one that I'll be following up on myself).

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Went in to two pharmacies on the island and also two hospitals in Seattle - to date - none are to be found yet. I'm sorry. I've called 5 of the larger pharmacies as well and they don't seem to have it, but I also have recruited a friend on the eastside of the state to call over there as well (Spokane area).

A coworker suggested that you contact some of the online pharmacies e.g., drugstore.com as well to see if they have contacts somewhere.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:33 am
Community Director Emerita

We have been in touch with a doctor in Turkey (the father of a student we host who is studying at UCSD). The medicine is still made in Turkey, but it is very tightly controlled.

In Turkey they have this med with a different name, which has the same effects. However, this kind of med is used only in hospitals for the patients that are in that hospital. Med is sold only in hospital pharmacies and ONLY with a special prescription called red prescription. AND, it is illegal to to import, export or carry this medicine outside of a hospital.
While this sounds very forbidding, I think it is worth exploration beyond the single email exchange we have had via the son.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Just so you know it's not *quite* impossible:

I just heard from a FT member who located a bottle in the pharmacy of a small private hospital. They've already received the prescription and I'm told the medication is on its way.

"Small private hospitals with their own pharmacies" sounds like a good lead.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:59 am

So far no luck, I'm afraid. I've focused on the smaller, non-"brand" pharmacies, and none has had it so far. One guy even said that he hadn't had it "for years". I'll keep looking.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ldsant
A coworker suggested that you contact some of the online pharmacies e.g., drugstore.com as well to see if they have contacts somewhere.
A good suggestion, but none of the online pharmacies has it. (I realize you suggested they might have contacts, not necessarily supplies.)

That includes the Canadian online pharmacies.

When I first began looking, drugstore.com had it listed as readily available -- which got me all excited, until they said, "Uh, no. We can't get any. We should have removed it from our site."
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have been in touch with a doctor in Turkey (the father of a student we host who is studying at UCSD). The medicine is still made in Turkey, but it is very tightly controlled.
I think there must be some confusion along the way. Although this medication is a "controlled substance," it's not a narcotic or an abusable drug. In the U.S., for example, it's not a "triplicate" -- which would mean it can't be released without signatures from the doctor, the pharmacist, and the patient -- who must pick up the prescription personally.

It can be filled via mail, and it can be picked up at the pharmacy by any third party.

My point is there's just no reason why it would be so tightly controlled.

Also, I can't imagine why a hospital would maintain a supply that could be administered only to patients inside the hospital and could not be taken outside the hospital. This medication is for treatment of chronic conditions, not in-patient treatment.

Still, I'll follow any lead. If you have any more information (local name of the drug, manufacturer, contact info of the person who gave you the information), would you please PM it to me?

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chtiet
One guy even said that he hadn't had it "for years". I'll keep looking.
The responses you'll receive include:

"Haven't had it for years." Certainly could be true ("years" meaning 2 or so).

"Never heard of it." (Either is new to the business or...Well, just not as knowledgeable as other pharmacists.)

"They recalled that medication." (Wrong)

"In what dose?"
(They've ever heard of it. If they had, they'd know they're unlikely to have it in ANY dosage.)

"No, but we can order it for you." (They don't have a clue.)

And, of course:

"Please hold....................................."
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Dan, familymeds.com has it listed in all 3 strengths along with prices. Probably a dead end but you might check it out. Best of luck.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by lolosmama
Dan, familymeds.com has it listed in all 3 strengths along with prices. Probably a dead end but you might check it out. Best of luck.
i just called, no dice, not in stock. good idea, though. still working through some houston pharmacies, will try adding the hospitals.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolosmama
I called immediately, but I knew it had to be a false alarm.

"We have the drug in our system."

"Does that mean you actually have supplies?"

"It's in our system."

"Okay. When you say it's in your system, what does that mean?"

"It means it's on our computer."

"Okay. Is there a way to find out if you actually do have a supply of it?"

"Well, I could look."

"Gee, that would be great. Would you please look while I hold on?"

(One minute later) "No, we don't have that one."

And so it goes....
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by karenkay
i've tried a number of pharmacies in north houston/tomball and in town--think i'm up to 25--and still no luck. i'll keep trying, made myself a list of 40 or so. elll, are you just hitting independent pharmacies in houston? i'd hate for us to be doing double the work...
I've been calling in west/southwest HOuston mostly independents, tried HEB and Randalls, and have started outlying: Wharton, bay city, angleton, clute/lake jackson, etc. So far still nothing....
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Yhpm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.