FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   2007-2008 Travel Journal for School Project - Can you help? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/738925-2007-2008-travel-journal-school-project-can-you-help.html)

flygirl555 Sep 22, 2007 4:50 pm

2007-2008 Travel Journal for School Project - Can you help?

My niece, who is in the 4th grade, has an interesting school assignment. To learn about world geography, each student created a "travel journal" to send to friends and family.

Upon receiving the journal, the recipient is requested to send a postcard or small souvenir to the child (c/o the classroom) and write a short paragraph about their hometown. In late April (or when the travel journal is full - whichever comes first), the travel journal should be returned to the class so all the students can read all the stories and track where the journal has been. As each postcard arrives, they will put push-pins in a map.

Since we love to travel, she is starting the journal with us...

I know it would be exciting for her if her journal traveled to the most exotic places. It would also be fun for our community too - if we could use this thread to track the journal as it makes it's way around the world once or twice or more...

To receive the journal, please post a message below (so we can track where the journal is going next) and pm the person above with your contact information so they will know where to send the journal upon receipt.

Thanks, in advance, for your help with this project!

Happy travels travel journal!

Here is where the travel journal will tentatively go:

9/22 - Flygirl555 - DEN Signed 9/23
9/26 - Ozstamps - SYD (sent postcard and is coming to visit DEN) Signed 9/29

10/5 - Gargoyle - Italy (sign here, send Postcard from there)
Oct - BDesmond - Rochester, NY & Chicago, IL)
Israel and Lebanon - Dov and BEY (Signed at FLL DO)
Boxo - California and brought to FLL DO
10/29 - alex0683de - FRA (taking to Europe from FLL DO)

Nov - Flygirl555 - Ecuador and San Juan (postcards only)
Madhouse24 - Washington DC
Kipper - Pittsburgh, PA
jackthebox - South of France
braefoot - Scotland
JAP - Cork Ireland
BMAAT - Canada
Opushomes - Postcars from all over Asia
BSchaff1 - Chicago (Postcards from various travels)
monitor and Franny - Postcards from around Europe and NYC
bpoleary - Houston, Boston? London?
KPChicago - Mexico/Belize/Guatemala

chuckd Sep 22, 2007 9:11 pm

That's an interesting project, but since you're giving it to random people, rather than friends and family, isn't that cheating?
I'd like to help, but I'm stuck here for a while, and a postcard from 3 hours away probably wouldn't be too exciting.

flygirl555 Sep 23, 2007 4:06 pm

I have met many friends on this board - both vitually and in-person through the years. Therefore, I don't see tapping into this wonderful community as "cheating".

The farthest my nieces have ever travelled is to Disneyworld. To my knowledge, her parents have only been on an airplane three times in their lives - once to honeymoon in Hawaii and twice to take the girls down to Disney. It is likely that these girl's view of the world will be based on Epcot and Disney's Animal Kingdom until they are old enough and financially in a position to travel on their own or until they are old enough that their parents can trust us to take them away.

As someone who has always loved to travel, I would love to spark her interest and show her that there is a world beyond the borders of the US.

bdesmond Sep 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I can take care of Chicago and Rochester, NY for you. I don't have much travel planned right now or I'd get you postcards other places.

FourWheels Sep 23, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm in. ^

I'll send you a PM w/ my info, flygirl.

Gargoyle Sep 23, 2007 8:08 pm

Despite the weak dollar/strong euro, I need to get in at least one, maybe two more trips to Italy this year. I'll PM you.

FourWheels Sep 23, 2007 9:01 pm

flygirl, from reading your OP, my take was we are to send a postcard from our hometowns, not from our travels. Please clarify that for me. Thanks.

flygirl555 Sep 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Yes, the way the instructions are written, it does seem to be asking about your own hometown...

ozstamps Sep 26, 2007 3:29 am

Just sent Kayla an ozzie postcard from Sydney .. one with a stamp celebrating 100 years of votes for women - that will please the teacher I am sure!

kipper Sep 26, 2007 7:57 pm

I can take care of Pittsburgh, PA if you want. Also, if you really want, I can see if friends in Stafford, England will help. :)

BoyAreMyArmsTired Sep 26, 2007 8:26 pm

I'd be happy to do an entry from Canuckistan. :)

Dovster Sep 26, 2007 11:37 pm

Israel is in.

There will be no mail here until Sunday but I will send a nice souvenir out to her then.

BEYFlyer Sep 27, 2007 2:58 am

Beirut, Lebanon is in too. I'll get some banknotes together and a nice postcard out ASAP.

JAP Sep 27, 2007 3:44 pm

I'm in !!!

Kinnitty (or Cork), Ireland will be my contribution :)

flygirl555 Sep 27, 2007 5:50 pm

Once agan, the kindness and generosity of this community never ceases to amaze me!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :cool: