Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FT's 10th Anniversary party 2008 - date tba

View Poll Results: Would June 27-29, 2008 DO interfere with 4th of July the following weekend?
No, I'll still come
53.09%
Yes, so can't come
17.28%
Too early to tell
22.22%
Get back to me, I'm thinking ...
7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

FT's 10th Anniversary party 2008 - date tba

Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If it's the last weekend of June, count us out. We'll be on an Alaskan cruise. September, however, is a definite possibility.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by BOB W
Bump

As a side question......is the first post ever on Flyertalk still posted? If so, where? Or is there a historical timeline of Flyertalk? I started well after the beginning & would like to learn more about the history.
You way want to look around in ORP (not sure of the right search words), Randy has had the opportunity on occasion to post info on the history of FT there, not sure if those responses have ever included that first post or not though.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:43 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by BOB W
Bump

As a side question......is the first post ever on Flyertalk still posted? If so, where? Or is there a historical timeline of Flyertalk? I started well after the beginning & would like to learn more about the history.
Yep! It's still around:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1

and the first thread, too:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1
Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:57 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Count me in to help. It's just down the road...kind of.

Not counting Freddies, what's the DO record for numbers of people?
Cholula's correct, it was the 2007 London Mega Do. We topped out at around 190 attendees

Having been one of the three organisers for that one, I don't envy any organiser of a do approaching anything like that in numbers. We put hours and hours and hours of work into that do.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Thanks for the walk down memory lane! It was great to see one of my early posts in that thread! (Even though the thread was bumped 7 years later.)
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Did I miss it? Has an official date been set yet? Thanks, Sandy
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Cholula
The latest and greatest estimate is that, if this DO becomes a reality, it may now be in the September, 2008 time period.

But don't take this as gospel or carve it into stone. We need to hear from the HOM's as to when and if this will be a go.

And, if it is, a new, "official" thread will be created.
Edit: While having it in September seems to negate much of the point of having it be a 10th anniversary celebration, I do have to say that it will work better for my work schedule. Besides, any large celebration of FTers, regardless of the occasion, is worth attending!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We all will be starting to plan trips and no one wants to miss this DO. Can the Powers That Be choose a date, please? We are good for May or Sept. Summer begins to be a lot more costly. I like May since it is near the real anniversary. And off season. I love Randy's ideas for the party. Sounds like a hoot.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
I second this request!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:39 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
third the request

Date ASAP please
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I agree! Date sooner than later!

I'm good for either May or September, too...but I've already mentioned that...
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
September.
September?
September!

When did we start talking about September? Isn't the point of an "anniversary" to celebrate a significant event nominally near the time it occured?

Delaying by a quarter plus seems just silly to me, why not just launch a COS DO thread for September having nothing to do with FT Anniversary . . . same thing IMHO.

Lihue1k
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by lihue1k
Isn't the point of an "anniversary" to celebrate a significant event nominally near the time it occured?

Delaying by a quarter plus seems just silly to me
Yes it is!

But then again why do the US Presidental candidates start their campaigns for the 2008 elections in 2006? (We still have a year to go! )

Why does the "fall" semester for schools or colleges begin in August or September? (It's still summer!) And why does the "summer" vacation season start in May? (It's still spring!)
why not just launch a COS DO thread for September having nothing to do with FT Anniversary . . . same thing IMHO.
Maybe we should! But why not just call it "the 15th anniversary party - 4 years early"?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
We're going to rest the thread

Until Randy comes back with a date, we're going to let the thread take a break. It's really up to him and the HOM of staff to arrange and decide on a date - we all have reasons as to why it would be more convenient to us to chose this date or that one... there is not going to be a date which suits everyone. And ultimately, it's up to the organiser to decide on the date, and also to decide when to finalise it too - much as we may appreciate as much warning as possible!

So until we get some more firm information about this event, there isn't really a lot more which can be added to this thread, so the mods have decided to let it take a nap.

If you have anything substantial you wish to post to the thread, then please contact the mods - and of course, Randy, being the boss-man, gets to do that anytime he likes

Jenbel, Cholula and chrissxb
Communitybuzz Co-moderators.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.