"Pop the Cork Do": Cork, Ireland 6th - 8th June 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Pop the Cork Do": Cork, Ireland 6th - 8th June 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
But for a really old authentic Irish boozer you need to keep on walking up the hill to the Roaring Donkey.
Opens late afternoon and the owner can be a bit cranky but a fine bar with the best pint in Cobh.
Paging GoldCircle, I think we could all benefit from a "pub report", from the Roaring Donkey, from a true Irishman. @:-)
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by tcswede
Pls put me and the better half down as a maybe - have booked a room at the Sheraton for the time. Would like to play a round or two - also if anyone else is up for a round ?
maybe - subject to change as it still is far out.
Thanks for your interest Thomas. I have added you down as a possibility as well as the last few folks kind enough to state an interest.

With regards to the golf, the hotel is more than happy to arrange access to the golf club for a round or two. They can also arrange a mini-FT tournament / fourballs / whatever is appropriate, if there is enough interest. It might be the time for the inaugral FlyerTalk European Golf Championship
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Unfortunately, I shall have to withdraw from this event - I'll be travelling back to Germany after two months in Croatia on that weekend, and I just can't make it work timewise.

I wish you all a super DO, and please let me know if there's a repeat!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Well, I have to say, and it sounds a bit strong, but this just might be the best hotel in Ireland. Those that know Ireland understand readily, that as an Irishman I have come to expect $h1te service as my right - this hotel has just serves to remind
what it can be like with great training, managers who motivate and working in an environment that is just a bit special. Almost every member of staff I came in to contact managed to exceed my (Flyertalk induced) expectations.

Now, not everything was perfect, but all matters were resolved sooo very well - the bottle of champers for Mrs GC's birthday was not in the room on arrival, nor the chocs. The porter had this sorted in minutes for me. Both restaurants were booked out at check-in and they stopped serving bar food at 6 - I hadn't even begun to whine before they offered to open service again. Also, the porters managed to lose something for me - but again, the team worked hard to track it down and returned it to me a few days later.

The lobby is exceptionally nice (I hate faux-grand lobbies), the bar a little smaller that I would hope for but will be wonderful for the Doo, the pool is great, warm and uniformly deep and the acqua spa kinda fun, food was lovely and everything was spotless. The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way - so some might like to have a car at their disposal, given the restaurant, bar, pool, spa and golf course are all that at hand.

The one really negative comment I have is that the beautiful bedrooms were lit not just badly, but terribly. An opportunity missed. Also, the corridoors are ugly and look cheap - again lighting is one of the main culprits there, but the "woodland" panels just don't do it for me either... That's the harshest thing I can find to say, so not much to complain about really.

But really, the staff were exceptionally good (think asian service standards and you are close). Sorry I don't have any photos for you all.

Tip for the Doo: get a bedroom at the very end of the long corridors, as they have looong balconies with garden furniture. I can see late night parties taking place on the balconies at the Doo, so make sure Doo people hoover them up.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Feb 1, 2008 at 9:00 am
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Paging GoldCircle, I think we could all benefit from a "pub report", from the Roaring Donkey, from a true Irishman. @:-)
Sorry, never made it - too much champage on board
Old Feb 9, 2008, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Well, I have to say, and it sounds a bit strong, but this just might be the best hotel in Ireland. Those that know Ireland understand readily, that as an Irishman I have come to expect $h1te service as my right - this hotel has just serves to remind
what it can be like with great training, managers who motivate and working in an environment that is just a bit special. Almost every member of staff I came in to contact managed to exceed my (Flyertalk induced) expectations.

Now, not everything was perfect, but all matters were resolved sooo very well - the bottle of champers for Mrs GC's birthday was not in the room on arrival, nor the chocs. The porter had this sorted in minutes for me. Both restaurants were booked out at check-in and they stopped serving bar food at 6 - I hadn't even begun to whine before they offered to open service again. Also, the porters managed to lose something for me - but again, the team worked hard to track it down and returned it to me a few days later.

The lobby is exceptionally nice (I hate faux-grand lobbies), the bar a little smaller that I would hope for but will be wonderful for the Doo, the pool is great, warm and uniformly deep and the acqua spa kinda fun, food was lovely and everything was spotless. The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way - so some might like to have a car at their disposal, given the restaurant, bar, pool, spa and golf course are all that at hand.

The one really negative comment I have is that the beautiful bedrooms were lit not just badly, but terribly. An opportunity missed. Also, the corridoors are ugly and look cheap - again lighting is one of the main culprits there, but the "woodland" panels just don't do it for me either... That's the harshest thing I can find to say, so not much to complain about really.

But really, the staff were exceptionally good (think asian service standards and you are close). Sorry I don't have any photos for you all.

Tip for the Doo: get a bedroom at the very end of the long corridors, as they have looong balconies with garden furniture. I can see late night parties taking place on the balconies at the Doo, so make sure Doo people hoover them up.
High praise indeed......thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your time in the hotel - always much appreciated! Apologies, however, for the imperfections you mentioned - these are things that, when they all come together, can leave a negative impression on an otherthiwise enjoyable stay.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Cool

I am booked at a rate of €134.10 per night with the AAA rate. Does your rate include breakfast? I am based in Cork myself so if I can help in anyway please let me know. I have never attended one of these events but it sounds like it might be interesting. I have stayed at the Sheraton Fota before and the new GM that started a few weeks back is on the ball. A well needed replacement frankly after several visits I had before not being up to par.

All the best, S.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:21 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Regrettably, I am going to have to bow out of this year's event. There is just no way imagineable that would allow me to make the trip in June...or any other date in 2007, for that matter.

Regardless, I hope everyone has a good crack, as they say on the island.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:27 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
There is just no way imagineable that would allow me to make the trip in June...or any other date in 2007, for that matter.
I can understand your difficulty.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Any suggestions on best way to get to Cork from the States? I recall Cork is an international airport but that was when I lived in Germany. Can't find anything into Cork. So do I transit Dublin to like Ryan or something like that?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by spartacus
Any suggestions on best way to get to Cork from the States? I recall Cork is an international airport but that was when I lived in Germany. Can't find anything into Cork. So do I transit Dublin to like Ryan or something like that?
Hello there,

I live in Cork myself and honestly the best way I find to get in and out especially when heading up to the US is using BA connecting via LHR and then on to Cork. All bags transfer straight through and worse case you have a change of terminal however usually BA fly into Terminal 1 anyway. BA codeshare flights to Cork so the price should not be that bad however if you have any problems drop me a PM.

Cheers

Stephen
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:20 am

Also worth mentioning are connections from DUB - Aer Arann which can be interlined and Ryanair which cannot.

The Ryanair (FR) service -low cost, no changes, everything for purchase at high prices- is operated on 737-800s, though I prefer the Aer Arann (RE) -low cost also, due to Ryanair's presence- sevice on the ATR-72 whic includes a newspaper, drink and the tickets (point to point only, not interlined) can be changed free of charge on the day of travel.

If going point to point - you can come on one and return on the other if you are curious. No miles available on either carrier, though RE has anew invitation only FFP.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:25 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I might be able to make it to this one. please color me interested.

thanks
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by cpx
I might be able to make it to this one. please color me interested.

thanks
Thanks cpx - I have added you to the list.

For everyone still, I'll be posting further details this week to get get everything moving along ready for June ^
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to attend.

I have back-to-back arguments in court in San Francisco scheduled on Monday the 9th and Tuesday the 10th, both of which are going to require substantial preparation (sadly, of the isolated, intense focus sort that can't be done effectively while sitting in a pub or touring SW Ireland with other FTers). I thought about trying to do an open jaw, departing IAD and returning to SFO, but because I can't risk any flight problems (and those NEVER happen ) that would interfere with my appearance before the judges (I could certainly do without a contempt citation), that's just not practical. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next Ireland Do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.