Wiki Posts
Search

Fourth Annual PBI-FLL Meet: Oct 26-28, 2007

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I would like your opinions on something.

One of our South Florida members is friendly with local ABC and FOX news anchors and thinks they might be interested in covering the dinner Meet. If they did, it would probably result in a 30 second spot which would be broadcast the following day.

How do you feel about this?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
I would like your opinions on something.

One of our South Florida members is friendly with local ABC and FOX news anchors and thinks they might be interested in covering the dinner Meet. If they did, it would probably result in a 30 second spot which would be broadcast the following day.

How do you feel about this?

I was actually thinking we should give the media a heads-up on this DO.

So I'm definitely in favor.

But warn 'em that they're going to have to color calibrate their cameras if I decide to wear one of my louder shirts.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Tv Ok By Me

Dov,

If I recall correctly, you're someone who once worked as an ink-stained wretch. (But you're no longer ink-stained, right?) As a current ink-stained wretch I see this get-together as something that might make a nice feature story. Don't you agree?

My one caution would be something you mentioned back in the thread that led to all this togetherness. There are people who would not appreciate BEYFlyer having any kind of friendly contact with you or a lot of us -- and they may still live in his neighborhood. And these badguys have Internet access and know how to search for news stories.

I think BEYFlyer should be asked if he has any qualms and he should have the chance to approve/veto any publicity. If it's OK with him, I say bring on the cameras, videographers and notepads.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
There are people who would not appreciate BEYFlyer having any kind of friendly contact with you or a lot of us -- and they may still live in his neighborhood. And these badguys have Internet access and know how to search for news stories.

I think BEYFlyer should be asked if he has any qualms and he should have the chance to approve/veto any publicity.
BEYFlyer was the first person I contacted about this and has no problem with it. I had exactly the same concerns as you.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:24 pm

I have no opinion regarding media at the meet, but if you're going to publicize it, then you might also want to contact the guy from MSNBC.com http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13865779/
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by caleo
I have no opinion regarding media at the meet, but if you're going to publicize it, then you might also want to contact the guy from MSNBC.com http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13865779/
Good idea and glad you were able to track down the reporters name.

He was the one that gave the story it's original legs and is owed, IMO, at least a heads-up that the DO is taking place.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I feel that way also and sent him an e-mail a few days ago. I didn't see any problem there as BEYFlyer would not have been identified by him by anything other than his user name and msnbc would not have been sending cameras to the Meet.

Now that BEYFlyer has agreed, I no longer fear for his safety but I am still wondering if having local TV stations at the dinner will cause a problem for us.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I am still wondering if having local TV stations at the dinner will cause a problem for us.
Maybe we can get them to spring for a couple rounds of drinks.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The idea of having TV cameras at the dinner just creeps me out.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel about it, personally. FT events are supposed to be fun and relaxed. Having TV camerapersons roaming about during dinner would make things less so. Also, I don't trust the media to "get things right."

So, not only could it spoil the fun, but the result could also be something inaccurate broadcast on TV. Those are the potential downsides, at least.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by caleo
Let's not contact any of them. I'd rather eat in peace.

This was portrayed as an FT DO, not a media event, and needs to be kept in that context. Otherwise there may be some alternate activities organized.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
So, not only could it spoil the fun, but the result could also be something inaccurate broadcast on TV. Those are the potential downsides, at least.
Well, there's going to be something inaccurate on tv anyway, so why not be a part of the story?

Doesn't bother me one bit, but since I'm still just a possible guest, I don't think my vote counts.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Well, there's going to be something inaccurate on tv anyway, so why not be a part of the story?
The issue is the privacy, comfort and convenience of those who have already purchased tickets and incurred other expenses in expectation of an FT DO, not a media event. If Dov and Beyflyer want to hold a media reception at some other time/place over the weekend, I don't care.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

I think we should keep things in perspective. I am not Paris Hilton. In fact, I am barely Poughkeepsie Ramada. There will not be hundreds of paparazzi following either BEYFlyer or myself.

Moreover, as many of you will remember from last year, the physical layout of Lucille's would make it impossible for TV cameras to come in and wander among the tables. At most, they could stand on the sidewalk and shoot from there.

I don't know if they will be interested at all, but if they are they would be looking for a 30 second "feel good" piece -- about an Israeli and a Lebanese who became friends during the war and are meeting, joined by their (mostly American) on-line friends.

They wouldn't be coming to the hotel bar for drinks nor joining us when we go to the malls. While a print media journalist might want to speak to us in more depth, the broadcast media would be in and out in less than 10 minutes and then be on its way.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:07 pm

Just a few things regarding media...

First of all, let me state that I truly could care less whether media attend - but as someone whose job involves media relations, i think that I might be able to put some things into perspective.
  • This is a "good news story" and, as such, the risk of something or someone being portrayed in a significantly inaccurate way is minimal... journalists won't be looking for a "gotcha" moment
  • Meet organizers can set parameters that media will respect. For example, filming on a certain date/time
  • Just because you invite reporters, doesn't mean that reporters will attend
  • I know that Dov and BEY feel strongly that this meet is not just about the two of them, but quite frankly, their meeting is the news hook that most reporters would likely focus on.

MikeMpls was onto something - there are ways to invite media to cover the PBI/FLL meet, without filming any FTer who doesn't want to be filmed.

You could offer interviews with Dov, Bey and Randy Petersen (if he attends) outside the restaurant and then 15 min filming b-roll on the patio during a pre-dinner happy hour. However, this would mean that anyone who had privacy concerns would have to go inside for the 15 min the camera crews were filming.

And you'd also have to get prior approval from the owners/management of Lucille's before inviting media onto their property - which would also help to ensure that FT retains some control of the shoot (because it is private property, they can't film without permission).

FWIW, i feel that the people who are definite attendees should be the ones to make the call (please note that I'm only a possible) - but this doesn't have to be decided now. To be honest, if I were sending out a press release, I wouldn't do it until mid-Oct at the earliest.

Last edited by caleo; Jul 16, 2007 at 11:25 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Just curious (and please don't take this the wrong way) as to how many FT events BamaVol and caleo have attended thus far?

I've attended well over a hundred FT events over the last six years on FT, and have a pretty good idea of what they are like and what they are about. Although they are open to any FlyerTalker, they are nonetheless "private" events in the sense that you don't expect TV cameras to be there. (True, there have been some small exceptions, but thus far, I've never had to contend with TV cameras while mingling or attempting to enjoy dinner. And in case anyone mentions the Freddie awards, those are NOT FlyerTalk events. Those are travel industry meetings to which FTers have always been very graciously invited by Randy Petersen.)

I feel strongly enough about this sort of intrusion that I would cross myself off the dinner list and join with other like-minded people for a dinner at an alternate location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.