Wiki Posts
Search

Happy Diwali!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Happy Diwali!

To all who celebrate the holiday--wishing you and your family a wonderful Diwali this year!
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Babu
To all who celebrate the holiday--wishing you and your family a wonderful Diwali this year!
Thanks, happy Diwali to you too!
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Thanks! Same to everyone else as well!
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:05 am

Thanks and a Happy Diwali and a prosperous new year to all who are celebrating today.

MSP2000
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Wishing everyone a very Happy Diwali 2007--glowing with peace, health and prosperity!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Shub Diwali to you all, as well.

I want to shout out a big "Shubh Diwali!" (Happy Diwali!) to my FT colleagues.

Well, I am non-Hindu in culture or religion, but have learned from my friends and visits to India, Bali etc. what is being said and meant here, so I will take the liberty to expand a bit. (My personal belief is we are often taught to fear diversity, but when we seek to understand we can learn and enrich ourselves as we truly celebrate diversity - and FT is a place where we welcome and respect diversity; it's even in the TOS.)

So as I have been taught:

Prefatorily, the Hindu "namaste" greeting, made with the hands pressed together over one's heart, symbolizes an acknowledgment of the light / godloness within you, and a greeting from the heart; the slight simultaneous inclination of the head is indicative of humility. Namaste, all.

Diwali is the Hindu Festival of Lights, which also celebrates the arrival of the Hindu New Year. Today is the third day of Diwali's five days (though it isn't unusual in Hinduism to have some varied dates and ways of celebrating as well, often with significant regional variations,) is the last day of the year in the lunar calendar, and lamps are lit in every home celebrating Diwali. The lamp symbolizes knowledge, and encourages reflection of the purposes of each day in Diwali.

Day one celebrates Laksmi, the goddess representing wealth. During Diwali, houses are cleaned and windows opened so the good influences may come into the home, candles or lamps are lit for Laksmi, and gifts are given. (Wealth is not thought to be corruptive of itself in Hindu culture, but rather a reward for what one has done in previous lives, and of course, has obligations as well.)

Day two is dedicated to Kali, goddess of strength, and is a day for banishing laziness, sloth and evil from our lives.

Day three - see above. It's today.

Day four is the first day of the lunar New Year. Old accounts are settled, new books opened, and participants are encouraged to banish anger, hate, jealousy and negative feelings from their life.

Day five is a day to focus on seeing the good in others - even in one's enemies, and commemorates Bali, a king who was destructive, but also a generous person.

As I say, I am not Hindu (so if I got any of this wrong, feel free to add / correct,) - but I believe all cultures and religions offer lessons to us, and my HIndu friends have been most willing to share. On FlyerTalk, with so many giving members, we get to see so many facets of diversity we have to work hard not to learn from each other. Shubh Diwali and Happy New Year!

(Maybe next year I'll post about Día de los Muertos... a day we celebrate in my natal country.)

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2007 at 12:44 pm Reason: add little bit
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks & a Happy Diwali to everyone too!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Shubh Diwali!

(We were planning to go to an Indian restaurant tonight, I wonder if that's a bad idea since I assume this is a big family night and Indian restaurants will close for the holiday?)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, you know the FlyerTalk mantra - "call!"

Originally Posted by nroscoe
Shubh Diwali!

(We were planning to go to an Indian restaurant tonight, I wonder if that's a bad idea since I assume this is a big family night and Indian restaurants will close for the holiday?)
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:05 am

Wishing everyone a SHUBH DEEPAWALI. Have a happy & prosperous new year
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I read somewhere that there is a "lucky" day to buy gold. Is that one of the Diwali days?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I read somewhere that there is a "lucky" day to buy gold. Is that one of the Diwali days?
Mselsewhere:
Rather than "lucky", I would call it "auspicious". You are referring to "DHAN TERAS", which is usually 2 days before Diwali. This year, it was on Wednesday November 7th.

Hope that answers your question.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:15 am

Mseveryewhere:
My aplogies for making a mistake with your "handle".i am blaming it on the small screen on my blackberry!

MSP2000
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Merry Diwali

"Diwali is one the most well-known Indian festivals and is often referred to as the Festival of Lights. The word itself means "rows of lighted clay lamps." It is a five day celebration marked with bright colors, oil lamps, feasts, and sparklers. Diwali occurs on the 15th day of the Hindu month of Kartika (during October/November in the Gregorian calendar). Homes, courtyards, and rooftops are commonly decorated with small oil lamps (called diyas). Rangoli, a form of colorful sand painting, adorns doorsteps."

---from Yahoo
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Wishing all my fellow Flyertalkers and their families a fantastic Diwali, and a year ahead flooded with peace, health and prosperity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.