FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   "Oz Fest #4" - Melbourne Australia - Memorial Day weekend May 25-27, 2007 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/567379-oz-fest-4-melbourne-australia-memorial-day-weekend-may-25-27-2007-a.html)

dcgators Aug 7, 2006 5:23 am

Oh goodie! I'll finally partake in the 16-oz Weighlifting World Championships ... :D :D :D

Maybe catch a game of footie while savoring some awesome meat pies and downing delightful aussie reds. ;)

Btw, that bottle you kindly brought us was ssssswwwwweeeeeeeettttt!!! ^ ^

So where are we staying for Hotel Central? I read the whole thread and I am still confused. For now, I have reservations at the Hilton on the Park at $180 a night.

chrisw Aug 9, 2006 9:56 pm

Finding a sudden deluge of C award availability on UA, my girlfriend (FTer waterstrider - aka Abby) and I are confirmed for MEL on Memorial day! ^^

I've never been to a DO before, so I figured I'd start with the most distant one possible! (And then not earn miles for it... :eek: )

We're arriving in SYD a week before (Fri 18th), so we're all ears for ideas on where to go and what to see in SYD or beyond for the week.

The DC-area contingent for ozfest is growing!

ozstamps Aug 9, 2006 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by chrisw

I've never been to a DO before

Well 24 folks is surely not a bad start Chris? And free etched beer glasses to boot. ;)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=380

Good to see the DC crowd descending on us again - we had a few here this year as well.

Glen

lili Aug 9, 2006 10:56 pm

deleted

ANstar Aug 10, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm moving back to Syd in Jan so please put me down as a definite maybe :)

nor4 Aug 11, 2006 10:33 am

Please put me down as a maybe. I'm going to try to snag a UA XC award. Are there other Oz destinations I can stop at while on a *A award down under? Tried the *A site but their map function is down.

restlessinRNO Aug 11, 2006 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by nor4
Please put me down as a maybe. I'm going to try to snag a UA XC award. Are there other Oz destinations I can stop at while on a *A award down under? Tried the *A site but there map function is down.

Clearly you can stop over in SYD on your way to MEL. I think you only get 1 stop over - it could be NZ if you wish though.

nor4 Aug 12, 2006 6:34 am

I knew about the options on UA and NZ (SYD and NZ and have done them in the past), but are there other options that will get me to some of the far-flung protions of Oz? I've been thinking about the north coast and west coast.

Kiwi Flyer Aug 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by nor4
I knew about the options on UA and NZ (SYD and NZ and have done them in the past), but are there other options that will get me to some of the far-flung protions of Oz? I've been thinking about the north coast and west coast.

On *A? Both SQ, TG and NZ fly to PER. NZ is only one to fly to CNS. SQ and NZ fly to ADL. SQ, TG and NZ fly to BNE. None of these are intra australia flights.

For domestic flights you have Qantas, Jetstar (LCC subsidiary of QF but no points or OW status benefits except for QFF), Virgin Blue. Some regional routes also have local carriers.

TEX277 Aug 18, 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
A round of drinks are on me dcgators . :D

Many thanks once again for your most generous access to the dcgators Limo Service from Dulles airport, to downtown Washington recently. :-:

We'll hopefully allow you to see a real sport being played when you are down here. :)

Glen

I shall be seeking to maintain my biennial attendance at Oz Fest #4 with Mrs TEX277 in tow this time. For the moment though, please do mark us down as 'Golds'.

Should that turn into 'Platinum', I doubt dcgators will need to buy a drink at all!

dcgators Aug 19, 2006 7:36 am

Originally Posted by TEX277
Should that turn into 'Platinum', I doubt dcgators will need to buy a drink at all!

Uuummm. That sounds really promising! :)

And since we are no longer allowed to bring liquids onboard, I'll just have to make sure to consume all the contraband before taking my seat in C ... ;) :D :D :D

Seriously, I sure hope you and the Mrs. will make if down under so we can get a chance to meet up ... ^

So ... Plats ... Plats ... Plats ... Plats ... Plats ...

dcgators Aug 19, 2006 7:37 am

Any update on hotel central? I am such a type-A that I want to make sure that I am staying at or near all the festivities. :D

ozstamps Aug 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by dcgators

Any update on hotel central? I am such a type-A that I want to make sure that I am staying at or near all the festivities. :D

This has been widely discussed in the thread - and the Hilton, despite not being right downtown seems to have support. I have certainly booked a few nights there at a good rate. Fully cancellable of course. ;)

Aus_Mal Aug 22, 2006 2:39 am

I notice the Hilton has increased their rates for the weekend by $20/ night (Cheapest rate was $180, now it's $200 / night).

Doesn't seem to be related to our trip planning as other weekends are the same, but still serves as a reminder to book a flexible stay early, then monitor for changes where you can rebook to save $.

(That is assuming the Hilton is party central - There are other hotels that could be candidates).

jswong Aug 22, 2006 5:07 am

Good thinking Aus_Mal, now booked the Hilton for the Friday night (even stretched myself to a junior suite) and will book either the Westin or Langham for the Saturday (will decide later depending where I need the points/stays most). I'm sure FT is bad for me :D

Jeff