Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:44 pm

Dovster kids across the world are all the same. We all have brain leakage.

Mark Twain

" When I was a boy of 16 I was ashamed of my fathers stupitity"

" When I was a man at 21 I could not believe how much my father had learned"

By safe in the war zone to both of you.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Conti One Pass Plat, Marriott Plat Elite, Returns Elite, Priority Club Elite, GP Plus
Bey/Dov...

I, like most of the rest of us it seems, have been following this thread for the better part of a week. I can't tell you how much I hang on these posts.
I laugh as I read other members talking about how they check here before they check their Email. Who has time for Email? Dov and Bey are online.

I want to send my well wishes and concern along the digital pipeline to both of you. May God be with you both.

I also want to applaud both the humor and spirit that permeates(sp?) this thread.

In addition, since I fly more than I drive, (83,000 miles this year) thanks to FT for a incredibly useful website. I will be a regular.

Last, BEY, get north of the river! CNN is now calling for an "Imminent Invasion."
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer 801
Last, BEY, get north of the river! CNN is now calling for an "Immenent Invasion."
The one thing that lets me relax a bit is the knowledge that BEYFlyer is safely north of the Litani River.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Dovster
I thought twice before posting this as it has not yet been announced on the news, but I figured that if I can sit in my house and know it, Hizbollah knows it as well.

There has been a tremendous amount of fire in the past hour. This is not, however, the kind of shooting that we have been hearing for the past few days.

For one thing, there has been no incoming fire. For another, the pattern of the firing is more disciplined and more constant.

This is not the shooting of a battle. This is the clearing of a battlefield for a ground invasion.

BEYFlyer, I think the past week will feel like a picnic compared to what is about to happen.
Associated Press has been reporting (for something like 8 or more hours now) the following types of things:
BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) -- Israel massed tanks and troops on the border Friday and warned civilians to flee Hezbollah-controlled southern Lebanon as it prepared for a likely ground invasion to set up a deep buffer zone.
and

Israel massing military on Lebanon border

By BENJAMIN HARVEY
Associated Press Writer

ON THE ISRAEL-LEBANON BORDER (AP) -- Israel massed tanks and troops on the border Friday hours after calling up reserves, as the army announced plans for a ground operation to destroy Hezbollah's tunnels, hideouts and weapons stashes.
Dov and BEYFlyer, I really wish you guys weren't where you are.... or better yet, that none of this nightmare were happening at all....
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:10 pm

BEY and Dov,

Speaking of daughters, mine are thoroughly interested in keeping current on this thread. Seems that Mom's "obsession" with her "little online friends" has finally gotten the respect it deserves. My youngest (16) has just finished 2 weeks at Brown U. studying Leadership and Conflict Resolution, and is trying her best to put this all in her "new" perspective. My oldest, a peaceful tree-hugging old-soul, is feeling the pain of her new adulthood through your tired eyes. I hope you have some idea just how important you have become to so many of us... We pray for you! Stay safe!

Flyertalk was a great solace to me in the in the months following 9/11, with so many in pain around me, I turned to you. I hope we can do the same for you....

God bless...

Robin
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

It is 4:15 am here, I haven't yet gone to bed because of all the shooting, but have decided that my sleepiness will overcome the booms and I will be able to nod off.

MapleLeaf, although we are friends, PLEASE -- no matter what CNN may be babbling, don't call to check on me!

Hello Kitty, although we have never met, please do call me!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:26 pm

The one thing that lets me relax a bit is the knowledge that BEYFlyer is safely north of the Litani River.
As a former military person you must know that once the area south of the river is taken the attack will proceed to the north. It most likely will be air and rocket cover to drive the "enemy" further north to create a more secure front. So I hope Beyflyer is WELL out of harms way.

As always stay safe to both of you and now to both of your countries.

Last edited by ridrifter; Jul 21, 2006 at 7:39 pm
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by ridrifter
As a former military person you must know that once the area south of the river is taken the attack will proceed to the north. It most likely be air and rocket cover to drive the "enemy" further north to create a more secure front. So I hope Beyflyer is WELL out of harms way.

As always stay safe to both of you and now to both of your countries.
That could turn out to be the case, but as Dovster or another Israeli can almost certainly articulate, invading Lebanon for Israelis would be kind of like American re-invading Vietnam. In particular, a push North would be extremely reminiscent of what is generally considered by Israelis to be a failed policy.

I won't say that's enough to keep it from happening, but such things are almost certainly in the minds of Israel's leadership.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:55 pm

Hello Kitty, although we have never met, please do call me!
Dov, I just tried calling but your phone was busy - too many lady-friends trying to call perhaps...

Stay sheltered , big daddy, and have a good night.

Can't sign off for the night w/o a good night to dear Bey as well.

XOXO,
Good-bye Kitty

Last edited by Hello Kitty; Jul 21, 2006 at 8:07 pm
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wow, I just found this thread. Stay low Dovster and be safe. You too Bey although I havent had the pleasure of meeting you online (and argued on and on with you like I have Dovster).
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Bey and Dov- hope you're safe and get the chance to sleep just a little bit, though it is morning by now.

I'm releived/fortunate to be able to say that my mother and sister were able to get away from the danger this morning. Last week they were in Haifa when the first rockets that hit there landed about 500 meters away from the building our house is in. They moved to Nazareth thinking it would be safer but again were lucky to avoid being hit by 500m. Finally they were able to leave this morning and are now in Paris. Unfortunately the rest of my family is still there so my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the region.

Please take care.

Pete
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I was just sent an invitation to appear again on that same radio talk show.

I sent the following reply:

Jay,

To tell the truth, I would not be interested in doing it again.

There are several reasons.

Firstly, I can't understand why you had a Palestinian on the show last time when it was about the situation between Israel and Lebanon.

Secondly, I feel that I was blindsided when, instead of putting me up against an ordinary Palestinian you brought in a pro. I found myself debating their chief negotiator!

Thirdly, after a Jewish extremist called in and, by his fanaticism made Israel look ridiculous, you only gave the Palestinian a chance to respond. I was never allowed to show that his extremism was not at all typical of the Israeli side.

Best,
Dov

Dov,

Good for you. You were blindsided, but you handled it very well. You can negotiate for me any time.

BEY and Dov, keep your heads down. I'm afraid that you two are going to have to buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jakebeth writes:

In particular, a push North would be extremely reminiscent of what is generally considered by Israelis to be a failed policy.

I won't say that's enough to keep it from happening, but such things are almost certainly in the minds of Israel's leadership.
I think what ridrifter was eluding to was not so much a push further into the North...but that areas North of the river could be targeted with boom-booms to provide some buffer/cover for any action that might be happening on the ground in the South.

I agree that's a very real possibility even if the IDF has no intention of physically interjecting ground troops North of the river.

Stay sharp and safe everyone.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:43 pm

A tremendous number of you have posted here, or sent me PMs, and not gotten any reply from me.

For that, I apologize. It is not my habit to ignore people.

Please understand that even if I were to sit at the computer 24 hours a day, and ignore my work completely, I would not be able to answer everyone.

I do, however, read everything that is posted or sent to me and I appreciate them all.

I know from my discussions with BEYFlyer that he also finds it impossible to reply as often as he would like and that he, too, feels badly about that.
Hi Dovster, hi BEYFlyer -
don't worry about not answering each an every single post - and don't feel bad about it!
We're all, I'm sure, just so glad to see your green lights, that we're just gush forth our best wishes to you both.
And anyway, I' sure nobody on this thread would be offended about not getting a personal, handsigned, singing&dancing reply from you both.
Keep safe - pur thoughts and prayers are with you and your families and friends.
Best wishes,
V.G.E.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

There is a very good chance that FlyerTalk just saved my life.

I woke up in my bomb shelter, turned on the tv, and listened to some news. The shooting is still fairly constant, albeit less than when I went to sleep, and without feeling an obligation to let everyone know that I am okay, I probably would have gone into my living room, sat on my couch, and continued watching the news update of the bigger set that I have there.

Instead, I sat down at the computer.

I read a PM that I had gotten from the House of Miles, sent a short reply, and then turned to the thread.

At exactly that moment a rocket landed. Close. Very close. I am not certainly exactly where but it was close enough to shatter one of the shatter-proof windows I have in my house. It is on the wall behind the couch I would have been sitting on and sent shards of glass all over it.

I slipped on some pants, put on my houseshoes, and went outside to see if the bomb had hit one of my neighbors' homes. If it had, I prayed that it had been that of one of those who had gone to the Negev but I had to find out in case they needed help.

Fortunately, no house in my immediate neighborhood had been touched. By "immediate" I mean close enough for me to be able to find it without walking more than 2 minutes from my house.

Right now, I can only pray that it landed in a road or garden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.