Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I don't know if Dov or anyone else knows exactly where it hit (other than the name of the neighborhood), or whether the press is reporting it (perhaps it's being kept secret to avoid helping the shooters with targeting), but if anyone does I'd be grateful to know.
I can't describe the exact location, but it's in Stella Maris, less than a block away from the home one of the people my mother (who lives on the other side of Haifa) plays Mah Jongg with. According to my mother, it missed the road and took out a fence.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Dov, the news websites are naturally focusing a lot of attention on the Beirut airport and the naval blockade. I'm just wondering whether things have quieted down in your area over the past couple hours, as I haven't seen anything new in a while, and you still seem to be up...?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
Talk about surrealism!

A few seconds ago I was watching CNN as its reporter in Lebanon was talking about Israeli attacks in South Lebanon as a barrage of rockets started incoming here.

(And, as I typed that sentence, CNN announced that a Hizbollah rocket just hit the city of Safed -- a bit south of where I live and where I had intended to go in an hour. I think I may pass up on that drive today.)
Dovster, I copied you's and BEYFlyer's commentaries and sent them to a few interested people.

This is the response that I received brom someone:

"I may not have told you, but our daughter-in-law is from Safed, and her parents live in Tel Aviv. She taught school in Safed, and has many friends and family in that city.

For your information, She has been in touch with a friend, who she talked to while the friend was in the bomb shelter. and under attack. CNN, in it's interview this morning, did not tell the truth. There were seven rockets that hit the town overnight, not just one!! Over thirty were wounded, and one died from his/her wounds this morning.

Our son, and *****were married in Safed. and there attorney, a woman, told her this morning, that her office and building were completely destroyed by one of the Hezbollah rockets overnight.

I can't think of the CNN woman's name who did the interview this morning with the spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry, but she came over last year from NBC. She was very negative, and seemed to accuse Israel for all the problems in the interview. She is the one that said that only one rocket had hit Safed, and thought Israel's response was overkill.

They don't have to agree with us, but at the very least, they should tell the full story, rather than hide some of the facts that could indicate why Israel is responding in such a fashion.

We also a friend who's son lives in Safed, and she talked to her this morning. She talked to her son, and they are in shelters with their children. It's okay if the Hezbollah and Hamas bomb women & children, but not if Israel does it accidentally.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:23 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Those who know GK and Sean will be happy to learn I have just received a text message saying that Sean has cleared the Syrian border.
Thank You Carol, for the first bit of good news from that area.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Dovster, I copied you's and BEYFlyer's commentaries and sent them to a few interested people.

This is the response that I received brom someone:

"I may not have told you, but our daughter-in-law is from Safed, and her parents live in Tel Aviv. She taught school in Safed, and has many friends and family in that city.

For your information, She has been in touch with a friend, who she talked to while the friend was in the bomb shelter. and under attack. CNN, in it's interview this morning, did not tell the truth. There were seven rockets that hit the town overnight, not just one!! Over thirty were wounded, and one died from his/her wounds this morning.

Our son, and *****were married in Safed. and there attorney, a woman, told her this morning, that her office and building were completely destroyed by one of the Hezbollah rockets overnight.

I can't think of the CNN woman's name who did the interview this morning with the spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry, but she came over last year from NBC. She was very negative, and seemed to accuse Israel for all the problems in the interview. She is the one that said that only one rocket had hit Safed, and thought Israel's response was overkill.

They don't have to agree with us, but at the very least, they should tell the full story, rather than hide some of the facts that could indicate why Israel is responding in such a fashion.

We also a friend who's son lives in Safed, and she talked to her this morning. She talked to her son, and they are in shelters with their children. It's okay if the Hezbollah and Hamas bomb women & children, but not if Israel does it accidentally.
It's (at least) two dead from there now.

Rockets hit Israel's Safed, two seriously wounded
Thu 13 Jul 2006 8:10 AM ET

JERUSALEM, July 13 (Reuters) - Seven rockets fired from Lebanon hit the northern Israeli town of Safed on Thursday, wounding 11 people, two seriously, medics said.

Safed is some 15 km (10 miles) inside the Israeli border with Lebanon. It is among the deepest towns struck by rockets since tensions escalated between Israel and Lebanon after Hizbollah guerrillas seized two Israeli soldiers on Wednesday.

The guerrillas have fired at least 70 rockets across northern Israel from Lebanon, Israeli media have reported. One Israeli civilian has been killed.
http://today.reuters.com/News/Crises...ryId=L13835495

http://www.mediafax.ro/english/artic...-515949-9.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2006 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Dovster
Firstly, let me be presumptious enough to speak in BEYFlyer's name, as well as my own, when I thank all of you for your concern for our safety.

Gregg, about the only thing which is more unlikely than our being allowed to drink together is getting either BEYFlyer or myself to agree to drink coffee.

We have discussed this in the past and it turns out that both of us hate the stuff!

We both, however, like colas and I don't know about BEYFlyer but I would have absolutely no objection if mine were to be mixed with some Bacardi.
Indeed, many thanks to those of you who have wished us well; can't thank you enough. Can really use one of those drinks right about now Dovster.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Indeed, many thanks to those of you who have wished us well; can't thank you enough. Can really use one of those drinks right about now Dovster.
I'm very glad to see you still at the keyboard BEYFlyer. I think we're all very anxious to keep hearing that you're ok.

And for what it's worth, I really appreciate on a personal level, your willingness to share and tell us about what's going on around you on this forum, communicating with Dovster.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of tempers, indignation, politics, anger, and even raw hatred at work today, but the pain and loss of life on either side is a tragedy. And unlike the roads, buildings and runways, they can't be put back together again when it's over. I truly hope it can stop soon.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Jakebeth, right now things are very quiet where I am. In fact, I am about to go to sleep.

The only shooting I have heard in the last hour or so is some outgoing Israeli artillery. Even that is nothing compared to the heavy barrages they were sending off earlier in the evening.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam

Fox news is reporting that Israel stating it was an Iranian Missile that hit Haifa.

This is getting exponentially worse by the minute.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
And now the only road linking us to the outside, the "international" highway between Lebanon and Syria has been bombed and bridges destroyed...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by underpressure
Fox news is reporting that Israel stating it was an Iranian Missile that hit Haifa.

Lets hope that this isn't true. Or at least the missle itself was not fired from Iran. If that is true then I think this conflict will expand beyond the current realm.

I am glad to hear that Sean made it safely to Syria. (never thought I would say that). I wonder what the boarder crossing was like. If GK gets a chance, and wants to, I would love to hear Sean's story.

To BEYFlyer and Dovster, try to get some sleep tonight and stay safe. I know if will be hard to sleep well tonight, but do try.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The missile referred to was not fired from Iran. That much is certain in that case. Of Iranian origin? Well, a lot of the material Lebanese Hezbollah and a few other outfits in Lebanon use in attacks are of Iranian origin, at least in part -- material or financially.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If it was fired from Iran.... well this may turn into something with catastrophic proportions.

BEYFlyer and dovster I hope both of you stay safe!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:52 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The missle referred to was not fired from Iran. That much is certain in that case. Of Iranian origin? Well, a lot of the material Lebanese Hezbollah and a few other outfits in Lebanon use in attacks are of Iranian origin, at least in part -- material or financially.
Nope, they said something about the Iranian Guard that was on the Lebanese border...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Take care dovster, BEYFlyer and anyone else caught up in the area. Do be sensible and do all you can to get somewhere safe.

Our thoughts are with you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.