Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:07 pm

Extra Airport?

Hey I dunno bout you bey but to me the news made it sound like Lebanon had 1 single airport. But as i sit here on the computer looking at lebanon with google earth, iv found another that isnt in the capitol. Its in a city called Riyaq. Thats by Zahlah (incase you dont know of Riyaq) Why havnt we heard more about this airport and is it being used?

Its 33 51N and 35 59 E for those who want to look at it via satalite.

Last edited by Hippie47119; Jul 23, 2006 at 1:13 pm
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Hippie47119
Hey bey, this is a shot in the dark becasue i know people said the Bakka valley had diffrent names, but is it Ba'labakk? Maybe its close to there? Well iv marked dovs house and i just wanted to mark yours. its nice to be able to point at a computer screen and say, "See? I have family everywhere!!!" lol. well thanks again.
Ba'alback is an area in the Beka'a valley. I am nowhere close to that part of Lebanon. I am either in Aley or in Beirut. Here is the best picture I could find so far...

http://dogo.pelaaja.info/syria-part2/11.html

Follow the road almost half-way down the picture, along the sea front, and that is where I live, up on the 11th floor. I know... Sorry, it's the best I can do. The airport runway goes into the sea and you can almost see it (only because I know where to look)... Will keep trying...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Sadly I don't. In fact, I don't even think Google has a zoom in function for Beirut. I tried doing something like that last night by taking the coordinates of Beirut from Wiki and putting that into Google maps; didn't work... Sorry... I'll see if I can find something else to give you an idea of where I'm at.
BEYflyer - I don't know how new/fast a computer you have, but if it's recent, try http://earth.google.com/

It has much better detail and functionality than Google Maps.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well for a few minutes this morning I felt like I was w/ BEY & Dov!!

Just back from a walk on the (sweltering/hot) beach & it gets a bit cloudy. No biggie.

Then all of a sudden - massive lightning right above my house & within a block over & over & over & over. For blocks around everyone's car alarms keep going off w/ each lightning crack. My house shook & the windows rattled (didn't break). Humongo sounds cuz it was right overhead; I mean LOUD. I was considering getting under the bed (not having a bomb shelter handy!).

It was a bit scary. I mean, putting it into perspective not bombs falling scary, but for a split second when the noise/house shaking was occuring, I thought wow - this is a .000001% of what BEY & DOV are going through, and it's not fun.

Then we had torrential rain (in SoCal!!) which caused a bit of flooding, then normal rain, and now as I type this it's back to normal. Last night we had a dry lightning storm (also rare at the beach) that was a bit weird. Wind kicked up, lightning somewhere in the distance w/ thunder, and a Wizard of Oz/Dorothy tornado feeling.

Glad to see both of your green lights on this morning! And Dov, had to LOL at your response to Dementia.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hippie47119
Hey I dunno bout you bey but to me the news made it sound like Lebanon had 1 single airport. But as i sit here on the computer looking at lebanon with google earth, iv found another that isnt in the capitol. Its in a city called Riyaq. Thats by Zahlah (incase you dont know of Riyaq) Why havnt we heard more about this airport and is it being used?

Its 33 51N and 35 59 E for those who want to look at it via satalite.
Actually Riyaq and another airport by Tripoli up North have already been hit by the IAF; very little use for them now. Riyaq was a military base but it hasn't been used as one since WWII. Nevertheless, it was hit and destroyed. The one up in Tripoli was not used that often (except by private planes, flying schools, etc), and that was destroyed too in case Hizbollah wanted to start flying weapons in all of sudden...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:22 pm

Indeed that is Beirut and you can see where the airport is....
You can also zoom right in on that one, BEYFlyer....

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.8...23081&t=k&hl=en
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:27 pm

I'm on dial-up folks and it would be a nightmare to work on Google Earth...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:30 pm

Ooops, forgetting that! I don't know if you can see this close-up or zoom, but this is where I am guessing you are at??? Where the highway forks and one section goes right along the ocean (and the sandy beaches) as you head south toward the airport and the runway that heads into the ocean is just down a little ways...????

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=e...,0.004989&om=1
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
DOH! I completely forgot. I'm so sorry.

Well, if you or anyone else figures out the coordinates, I'll be happy to locate the picture and post it to a site somewhere with small enough file to download.

I keep wanting to say something meaningful to express how much I truly hope that you and your family remain safe. I don't expect that's much comfort, but please know we are all truly hopeful for your safety.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:33 pm

Ba'alback is an area in the Beka'a valley. I am nowhere close to that part of Lebanon. I am either in Aley or in Beirut. Here is the best picture I could find so far...

http://dogo.pelaaja.info/syria-part2/11.html

Follow the road almost half-way down the picture, along the sea front, and that is where I live, up on the 11th floor. I know... Sorry, it's the best I can do. The airport runway goes into the sea and you can almost see it (only because I know where to look)... Will keep trying...
2 things bey. First, dont be sorry man. Thats a great picture! Iv never had a real picture (meaning not a satalite pic) of where you live. and second of all, you cant say you dont have a great view!

Hey im sorry about always askin ya where you live. You know, we just all want to know what its like i guess to see what you see. (pardon me for not wanting to be where you are though at the moment) Anyways, thanks for always helpin out.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Abby
..but the one at Port Beirut seems to have stopped working on July 13. BEYFlyer, are the lights in the last couple of shots from the Port part of the Port's bombardment? I don't think they are permanent lights, but they look so similar in both the shots?
You will notice that both pictures were taken an hour apart and they are very similar indeed. So I would guess those are flood lights and nothing else. The first to be hit was Beirut's airport; that was on the 13th. I think the ports came in a few days later (after the airport took a few more hits).
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:43 pm

Abby that's the one ^ ^ ... That first building on the right where the road forks; that's me... Up there on the 11th floor. Indeed Hippie 47119, it's a great view. I get to see a lot of planes coming in to land at the airport and it's just amazing. A lot of great sunsets...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Always happy to log-in and see new posts from both Dov and BEY it means you guys are still there (and hopefully safe)

I just got back from a wedding where guests were from Israel, Spain, the US, Germany, and many other countries. We all had a great time partying together and our different nationalities and outlooks just made it more fun. Makes me long for that DO in Monte Carlo when all of us can celebrate the ultimate end of this mess.

Prayers are with you both and any and all other FT'rs affected by this.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:50 pm

Abby that's the one ... That first building on the right where the road forks; that's me... Up there on the 11th floor. Indeed Hippie 47119, it's a great view. I get to see a lot of planes coming in to land at the airport and it's just amazing. A lot of great sunsets...

Its simply amazing what technology can be used for. Would have never expected to see your house, but now i feel like i could almost shake your hand! and the same with dov too. If its really as nice there as you say it is i say we spend some time toghether next summer! lol stay safe.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:55 pm

Thank you all once again for checking in on both of us and for keeping us in your thoughts. Time for me to get some sleep as I have an early start tomorrow morning. Beirut is quiet right now but I cannot begin to imagine what is happening down South. My heart and mind are with the innocent civilians stuck down there with nowhere to go. What is happening in Beirut is a walk in the park compared to what is happening down South. God help us all...

Good night everyone from the mountains of Lebanon... Salam...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.