Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk Luggage Tags WORK! - Encountering Flyertalk Members Unexpectedly

Flyertalk Luggage Tags WORK! - Encountering Flyertalk Members Unexpectedly

Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:03 am

Portland OR. -- not in the airport but at the Rose City Chamber Orchestra Conducting Workshop. I have my music in my briefcase with the Flyertalk tag attached. A pleasant young man sits down next to me --- "you're at Flyertaker too". Not only is uaflyer15 a member, but is also a conductor and trumpet player and 1K member in the UA program. Unusual meeting place -- but the tags work!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Encounter #3 for me! * I was flying IAD-ORD on Monday and noticed the yellow FT tag of travelingman79 while we sat in luxurious comfort on the Dulles Mobile Lounge. I introduced myself, found out we were on the same flight and seated across the aisle from each other as well!

* I have also met jetsetter and exerda in airports
Encounter #4 this afternoon! I boarded my FLL-IAD flight and watched a man with his wife and young daughter take seats across the aisle from me. He looked very familiar but I couldn't quite place him. I then noticed his yellow FT luggage tags and assumed I had met him at a FT Do or other event. Nope! It turns out this person was someone I knew many years before FT and had met through a computer users group out in Seattle. After 12 years, I crossed paths once again with SeattleFred! I've seen his posts on FT but never realized it was someone I already knew... small world, eh? ^ BTW, he gave me a demo of his flight/mileage tracking software and I thought it was excellent. Check it out at http://www.ftcomets.com

Last edited by MileageAddict; Sep 16, 2007 at 4:29 pm
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
To be honest, I've never seen one & I work at the airport. Guess I need to buy one.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
To be honest, I've never seen one & I work at the airport. Guess I need to buy one.
The only one I ever see in CLT is my own. I think there are only a handful of us in CLT.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
In one of the more unexpected places to be spotted with my Flyertalk tag, fromYYZ_flyer manages to find me while I'm waiting for a Greyhound commuter bus back to YYZ, from 80km away!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Last Sunday afternoon, trying to come home from the SFO Do, After 1,2, then 3 mechanicals in a row, AA puts me up at the Crowne Plaza SFO whilst waiting for a redeye to finally get me back home. As I'm getting on the elevator, someone in the exiting crowd says, "Hey, a Flyertalker! We're all heading for drinks at the Embassy Suites. My handle is Sith Lord (or something like that!) by the way...come on over & join us!"

After dumping my crap off at the room, I did wander over, but alas, they were gone.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by skye1
As I'm getting on the elevator, someone in the exiting crowd says, "Hey, a Flyertalker! We're all heading for drinks at the Embassy Suites. My handle is Sith Lord (or something like that!) by the way...come on over & join us!"
Sith Lord is very entertaining! He came to the Redwood Deck sub-Do.

I'm still looking, but the only time I've ever seen FT tags (a whole flock of them!) was at the food court before the UA maintenance tour.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by lavalyn
In one of the more unexpected places to be spotted with my Flyertalk tag, fromYYZ_flyer manages to find me while I'm waiting for a Greyhound commuter bus back to YYZ, from 80km away!
Yes, its true and I heard your screen-name as "dehavilland" :P I was coming home for the weekend from school (mainly for the RUSH concert) and I spotted a guy with a FlyerTalk tag. In all places, a bus terminal in northern Ontario. I might just put one of my tags on my backpack.

Last edited by fromYYZ_flyer; Sep 22, 2007 at 1:43 pm
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
damn I forgot to switch the tag from a carryon to a duffle bag I used the other day... gotta remember to do it on my next FLL trip.

--Russ
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Spotted my first FT tag at SLC Thursday night- we had a brief friendly chat, but he had to catch up with his collegue who had disappeared into the crowd. If I caught the handle right it was Tim in MN.

The first one is the hardest, now that the ice is broken can I assume that I'll bump into FT'ers every time I enter an airport?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Three encounters for me that I can remember:

#1 at the B18 ORD RCC last December. Can't remember the username, it was 'u6.....'-er-other.

#2 on an HNL-SFO flight on AA in March '07. I was in 2E/F and I saw an FT tagged bag with the person in 2D. I was taking a picture to show the legroom, then the FT tag appeared...honest!

#3 Today on United 5323 IAD-RIC. I boarded right at the beginning of group 1 and noticed an FT tagged bag waiting to be gate checked. Whoever you are I think you were in 1A...I was schlepping it down the back!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by gj83
The only one I ever see in CLT is my own. I think there are only a handful of us in CLT.
Finally able to meet gj83. Another great FT person.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
still waiting to meet someone, i've had had my tags on since mid june
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Recently met TucsonSam at CLT. Looked up from my laptop and
saw the familiar yellow tag (now somewhat faded - but still more
distinctive and noticeable than the original white ones). Had a
good though somewhat abbreviated conversation, as they were
at zones 1, 2, and 3 when I spotted him.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There sure were a lot of FT tags sighted in Concourse C/D yesterday morning! Gotta love those mistake fares!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.