Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

2006 Gilroy Garlic Festival, July 28-30 - DO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006 Gilroy Garlic Festival, July 28-30 - DO?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: USAir Preferred, Marriott Platinum
How is the Magic Garlic anyway? Been wanting to try it, but the one near me in Walnut Creek has closed up and something else is in their spot. Dont know if its the same place or not though, just curious.

I love garlic and might just make it to the festival this year. I think I'm about an hour or so away after moving.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
More details on the Gilroy Garlic Festival

For more details on the Gilroy Garlic Festival:

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/

The Gilroy Garlic Festival Association is a non-profit corporation. Its goal is to support the community projects, charitable groups and service organizations of Gilroy.

In 2005 over 4,000 volunteers from 166 non-profit groups worked 40,521 hours to host the 27th Annual Garlic Festival. $300,000 was distributed to non-profit organizations.

From 1979 through 2005 the success of the annual Festival has enabled the Association to award over $7.2 million to these groups, not to mention the other charities which generated funds through booths operated at the three-day event.

Come out and enjoy the pleasures of garlic with family and friends!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I love Stinking Rose (in fact it was just on the Food Network). Best appetizer, that something calda stuff. Bagna calda? The simmered garlic... mmmm.
Mmmmm Garlic!

I love the Stinking Rose and that caldron of garlic.

I have always wanted to go to the Gilroy Garlic Festival but I don't know if I can do it at this time.

Spiff They have garlic beer and garlic ice cream at the festival
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:28 pm

Well, I for one might be heading up to San Jose to visit cousins around that time and would be happy to join other FTers if I end up there anyway (or if there is a cheap fare to SJC) for the Garlic festival. IMHO though, most will be disappointed in the festival itself. Garlic ice cream and garlic chocolate wear thin after a short time.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hey, Nanook! This coming from the Yellow Rose of Texas! I think you have a corner on hot!! Can't tell about Gilroy at the end of July. It was in the 70's a few years ago so I called my friends to come quick. Usually in the high 80's but dry, as they say. Take the scenic back roads (Watsonville Road - look it up on your AAA map) instead of 101 if you want to beat the traffic. Other goodies in Gilroy are the wineries. Mostly Italian. Watsonville Road from Morgan Hill will leave you near them when you enter Gilroy. Also Bonfante Gardens if you like the green stuff. Garlic ice cream is just plain weird. But you must try it once. Actually, you can do it at home. Mix garlic powder into vanilla ice cream. Don't make a lot!

Last edited by Karen2; Jun 7, 2006 at 6:29 pm
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nanook
The traffic to and from Gilroy is horrendous during the Garlic Festival. You'll be spending more time than you think on the road. Plus it's bloody hot down there most summers.
It is horrendous. 101 is jammed, and they put up electronic signs by the roadside to tell everyone where to exit. Of course the locals know better

I still think it's worth it. I've been there the past 3 of 4 years (missed last year, was busy moving), and I'm definitely headed back there this year.

Edit: Oh yeah. $10 entrance fee IIRC, but you can get a $2 coupon from Nob Hills Supermarket.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that I am trying to dissuade anyone from this, but there is already a scheduled SF bay area DO for July 28-30:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

plus another brunch DO near SFO on July 31:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornellalum
It is horrendous. 101 is jammed, and they put up electronic signs by the roadside to tell everyone where to exit. Of course the locals know better
Yep, take the back road and get there -early-. Entirely do-able without dealing with traffic or excessive afternoon heat. Seems like most DOs are afternoon, evening affairs, so an afternoon retreat to SJC, Monterey, or Santa Cruz might be in order.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Is anyone actually going?

I was curious if anyone is going, I am starting a project up there in either late July or early august, too early to tell if I'll make the cut off but if so, I was interested in attending. Anyone else going?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Everyone's waiting for the weather forecast!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Well, I'm out... kinda hard to get to Gilroy when one schedules oneself to be in YOW/YYZ
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I am 50/50 on this one, but will know soon. Airfare is not too horendously priced.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Garlic ice cream is always available in Vancouver ...

...at La Casa Gelato with its 218 flavours. It's about 5 minutes out of downtown by cab and truly a remarkable, not to be missed place for any foodies that visit here. 1033 Venables. www.lacasagelato.com

I always take out-of-town guests there. They tell me that they ship all over the world.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:50 am

Out

My trip to SJC is ending up to be on Aug 4-7, so I will miss the fest by one week.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:51 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
In for Sat/Sun and bringing my pops along. We fly into SFO morning on the 29th and out evening of the 30th. Is anyone up for meeting up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.