FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   ATL HOT-LANTA DO I - July 21 -23, 2006 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/536599-atl-hot-lanta-do-i-july-21-23-2006-a.html)

flygirl555 Mar 14, 2006 1:35 am

ATL HOT-LANTA DO I - July 21 -23, 2006

7/21/06 - Please see the last message for an IMPORTANT UPDATE about the events!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=66

Update - 7/8/2006:

Good news! The Delta Museum found someone to staff the gift shop - so they will be open for us on Friday!

If you are planning to join us for the Delta Museum, please PM me your full name and cell phone number no later than 7/19. I need to provide a list of attendees to the museum and it would be helpful to have everyone's cell phone numbers in case we misconnect.

Cheers!
Flygirl555

Update - 7/5/2006:

1. I visited the aquarium on Friday and the fish are looking forward to meeting everyone! If you are on the fence about this one, just do it! You will not regret it!

If you are going to join us for the aquarium, please logon today to www.gaaquarium.org and purchase tickets for July 22nd for the 3-4 pm time slot. They sell out most weekends and will not let you purchase a ticket at the last minute...

2. Delta Museum Tour - Meet by the Avis car rental counter between 2:15 and 2:30 pm on Friday. I will carry a blue and white umbrella so you can recognize me. If you are driving, park in short-term parking and meet us at the car rental counter too. I will bring directions with me and we can figure out carpools when we arrive.

3. Friday Night - CANCELLED as of 7/21/2006
Meet in the Lobby Bar at the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel (210 Peachtree Street) between 6 and 7 pm. You can easily get to this hotel via the Peachtree Center Marta Station. Hopefully we will have enough drivers for Stone Mountain and the skies will be clear...if not, we can make alternate plans when we meet on Friday. If you can drive, can you please PM me and plan to bring extra blankets or towels for our out-of-town guests? CANCELLED as of 7/21/2006

4. Saturday Daytime - Most of the meeting times and places are listed below. FOX TOUR CANCELLED as of 7/21/2006

5. If you are planning to attend the Delta Tour or dinner Saturday and your name is not listed below (or vice-versa), please PM me.

6. Dinner Saturday Night - I talked to the restaurant today and plan to meet the manager earlier on Saturday to pre-order a price-fixed dinner that will cost $40 per person. This will include a variety of tapas (so everyone should find some food they like), shared pitchers of sangria / margaritas (please share equally with your fellow FT'ers - once we are finished with our shared order you are welcome to order and pay for additional drinks you desire at the bar), tax, and gratuity. If you are only joining us for dinner and won't see me on Friday or Saturday, please PM me and I will give you an address where you can send a check. Otherwise, I will collect cash on Friday or Saturday afternoon. To ensure the bill is covered and we order enough food for everyone, if I do not have payment by 3 pm Saturday, you will not be included in our dinner reservation - no exceptions please.

Cheers!
Flygirl555

Update - 6/4/2006:

Great News!

1. The aquarium just added two more whale sharks this week (so there's now 4 total - Ralph and Norton [the two original males] and Alice and Trixie [two females]).

If you are going to join us for the aquarium, please logon to www.gaaquarium.org and purchase tickets for July 22nd for the 3-4 pm time slot. They sell out 2-3 weeks beforehand, so please do this soon...

2. The Delta Museum has graciously agreed to do a private tour for us on Friday (meet at 2:30 pm sharp for a 3 pm tour). We can accommodate a maximum of 20 people, so if you are interested, please let me know and I will start a second list below.

3.We will pick a place for brunch on Sunday...

ATL..."HOT"-LANTA DO I - July 21 to 23
Sure, you've seen the airport millions of time (because we all know the whole world connects in ATL!), but have you seen the REAL Atlanta? Now's your chance!!! Attend the HOT-LANTA DO!!!

Note: Since so many people expressed interest, we are having a second ATL DO September 22 - 24 2006 - see the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536602

Dates

July 21 - 23

Friday

2:30 pm - Delta Museum Tour

Saturday

11 am - Walking tour of Fox Theatre - http://www.preserveatlanta.com/walkingtours.htm

I selected this tour because it is air conditioned. Meet 10:45 am in the atrium at the Fox Theatre ( Exit at North Avenue station, follow signs to Fox Theatre). The cost is approx. $10 cash. CANCELLED as of 7/21/2006 - but you are still welcome to do on your own!

Other options you can do on your own include:

Visit the pandas and new baby gorillas at the Zoo (www.zooatlanta.org) / Cyclorama ( http://www.bcaatlanta.com/index.php?pid=81)

Shopping (plenty of places to shop - MARTA accessible...)

High Museum (www.high.org) - (Arts Center MARTA Station)

Another Tour (e.g. - CNN, Jimmy Carter Library, Margaret Mitchell House, Turner Field / Braves Museum Tour, MLK Center - Most tours are MARTA accessible).

12:30 pm - Lunch at The Varsity - www.thevarsity.com
(North Avenue MARTA station - meet by the souvenir counter at 12:15 pm).

2:30 pm - Olympic Park / Georgia Aquarium - www.gaaquarium.org
(CNN or Peachtree Center MARTA Station - meet by the Olympic Park Fountains at 2:15 pm)

Since this attraction gets crowded, please pre-order your tickets today at www.gaaquarium.org for a 3 pm reservation.

Saturday 8 pm - Catered Dinner / Drinks / Dancing at Loca Luna (www.loca-luna.com) (Midtown Marta Station - 5 block walk) - See 7/5/2006 update above for details and payment instructions.

Sunday - Lunch - we will pick a place during the weekend to meet.

Since many places are along MARTA lines, people could stay Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, or Perimeter areas (but Perimeter would be a 45 to 1 hour train ride).

flygirl555 Mar 14, 2006 1:36 am

Confirmed
Sweetpea2005
JMW1515
USCGamecock +1
BamaVol (Dinner Only Sat.)
drbond (Dinner Sat.)
TriFlyer
Canarsie
Ecaarch
Monitor
Franny
Dan1431

Delta Tour - Friday 2:30 pm (20 people maximum)

1. Flygirl555 (Driving)
2. Ecaarch
3. USC Gamecock
4. Ms. Gamecock
5. Allen074 (Driving)
6. Monitor
7. Franny
8. Dan1431
9. Deltadiva
10 - 14. Dr. Bond + 4

Dinner Saturday Night
Flygirl555 - Confirmed
Mr. Flygirl555 - Confirmed
Ecaarch
USC Gamecock - Confirmed
Mrs. USC Gamecock - Confirmet
Ablescc - Confirmed
Monitor - Confirmed
Franny - Confirmed
Dan1431 - Confirmed
DrBond - Confirmed
Canarsie
Sweetpea2005
JMW1515
BamaVol + 1 (Tentative as of 7/5/06)

belle3388 Mar 14, 2006 2:24 am

Noooooo...........

flygirl555, did you intentionally pick the dates that I won't be in town? Wait, when am I ever in town? :o

Sorry, this is family cruise week, so I won't be here either. :(

socrates Mar 14, 2006 4:29 am

Put me on the def list...underpressure owes me a beer and this might be the only way I'll be able to collect :D

GoingAway Mar 14, 2006 4:45 am

Please put me down as tentative, I want to make one of these and just don't know my schedule yet.

Sweetpea 2005 Mar 14, 2006 11:36 am

Count me in

I live here - it will be fun to meet y'all! So sign me up!

jmw1515 Mar 16, 2006 6:36 am

I am an ATL resident, so I can help provide transportation! I can seat me +4 (luggage might be another story though).

What a great idea!

~jmw

underpressure Mar 16, 2006 6:48 am

Originally Posted by socrates
Put me on the def list...underpressure owes me a beer and this might be the only way I'll be able to collect :D

Don't feel too special, hell, I owe everyone a beer. ;)

I am on the definite list as well.

Menu will be Brats, Beer, and Burgers.

Boating(Pontoon Boat, sorry no skiing)
Swimming
Sunning

underpressure Mar 16, 2006 7:03 am

2:30 pm - Olympic Park / Georgia Aquarium - www.gaaquarium.org
(CNN or Peachtree Center MARTA Station - meet by the Olympic Park Fountains at 2:15 pm)
There needs to be a cut off date on these reservations, you may end up waiting too long and miss the availability for those who want to go.

socrates Mar 16, 2006 7:33 am

Originally Posted by underpressure
Don't feel too special

Oh I'm special all right...or at least that's what my wife says :D

GoingAway Mar 16, 2006 7:43 am

Directions for Sunday Cookout

Nice of you to invite folks over for a cookout, but are you sure you want to leave this information on the Internet? and for a few months? :o You might be better off holding onto the link and then sending it to people who will be coming or post it for a short time just prior to the weekend. Or maybe its just my paranoia kicking in. :p

Still hoping to make this.

underpressure Mar 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Nice of you to invite folks over for a cookout, but are you sure you want to leave this information on the Internet? and for a few months? :o You might be better off holding onto the link and then sending it to people who will be coming or post it for a short time just prior to the weekend. Or maybe its just my paranoia kicking in. :p

Still hoping to make this.

OK, maybe you are right... deleted the info...

flygirl555 Mar 16, 2006 6:48 pm

There needs to be a cut off date on these reservations, you may end up waiting too long and miss the availability for those who want to go.

Good point! Reservations for weekends are running about 2 weeks out right now, but the kids will be out-of-school. I figured about a moth prior I would have a better idea of headcount and post Paypal options for Saturday dinner and aquarium tickets.

BamaVol Mar 16, 2006 8:37 pm

There is a 90% probability that I will be there for dinner Saturday night. At this point, I am less sure about any of the other events. The closer we get to the date, the more definite I can be, but 90% is as sure as I am about anything.

underpressure Mar 17, 2006 4:07 am

Had a thought last night...

As we get closer, we can sort it out; what about Dragon Boat Lessons?

We are right across from the Olympic Rowing and Kayak Venue. I think I can arrange a quick lesson and a ride around the lake.

http://www.naaapatlanta.org/Images_Event/_MG_7009.JPG