Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game LIVE and In Person:ELP DO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game LIVE and In Person:ELP DO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:58 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by redbeard911
As strange as it sounds...I would fly west from Denver to reach ELP.
Hopefully you can make it

How will that work? Must he one heckuva of a MR
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jfe
Hopefully you can make it

How will that work? Must he one heckuva of a MR
ELP is technically a little west of DEN.
Another weird ELP factoid: it's closer to the state capitals of five other states than it is to it's own state capital of Austin...
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:56 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I always considered Denver just north, I guess it's a little to the east of ELP

And it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Austin doesn't think El Paso is part of Texas, they don't want to give us $80,000,000 for a new medical school
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:15 pm

Another useless ELP factoid: Houston and Los Angeles are both about the same distance from ELP....
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
Another useless ELP factoid: Houston and Los Angeles are both about the same distance from ELP....
Not far enough away...
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
We may extend our trip to do some sightseeing in the Midland/Odessa area.....
But why?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:12 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boilermaker
But why?
If you think El Paso is boring, wait until Cholula arrives at Midland/Odessa
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by boilermaker
But why?
My thoughts exactly.

Cholula must like oil pumps.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by empedocles
My thoughts exactly.

Cholula must like oil pumps.

Seeing the Odessa Permian HS Mojo play Friday night football is on my short list of things to do.....
I'm not a particular fan of football but I thoroughly enjoyed both the movie and novel about Odessa Permian called Friday Night Lights.

Last edited by Cholula; Jul 21, 2005 at 7:39 pm Reason: typo....
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:15 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, the movie is good, but the town...

They don't show it that often in the movie, and there is a reason for that.

Odessa is just like El Paso, just smaller and more boring. You will have a lovely time, you can see the whole place in 5 minutes or so
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:49 pm

Put me down as a very definite possible maybe...
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
ELP is technically a little west of DEN.
Another weird ELP factoid: it's closer to the state capitals of five other states than it is to it's own state capital of Austin...

Only two that I know of. New Mexico and Arizona. El Paso to Austin is 517 miles. It is 700 miles El Paso to Denver. It is even farther to any other states.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Wherever the Cholulas go...

I shall try to follow, maybe
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by myefre
Only two that I know of. New Mexico and Arizona. El Paso to Austin is 517 miles. It is 700 miles El Paso to Denver. It is even farther to any other states.
myefre...how many times do I have to ask you not to confuse my posts with actual facts??

I was just quoting from the list below. Maybe we'll take a road trip at the DO and check for ourselves....

• El Paso is the sight of the actual first Thanksgiving in April, 1598, predating the Pilgrims by 23 years.

• Guadalupe Mission in Juárez was founded in 1659.

• El Paso/Juárez/Las Cruces is the largest International Metroplex in the world with a combined population of about 2.3 million.

• El Paso is the third safest major city in the U.S.

• The sun shines in El Paso approximately 302 days per year, earning it the nickname “Sun City.”

• El Paso has four international ports of entry.

• The El Paso area has the largest pecan orchard in the world, Stahman Farms.

• The oldest continuously active missions in the U.S. are in the El Paso/Juárez area. Ysleta Mission, Soccorro Mission and San Elizario.

• El Paso has 2,000-year-old pictographs at Hueco Tanks State Park. There is also graffiti, from the 1800s, done in wagon axle grease.

• On August 12, 2000, Hueco Tanks State Park was the borderline of a very bright and unusually rare "pulsing" display of the Alaskan Northern Lights, which were pushed thousands of miles South to El Paso's starry desert skies by the Sun's current peak of powerful explosions.

• The El Paso star is 459 feet in length and 278 feet in width. It has 459 light bulbs and can be seen for 100 miles from the air and for 30 miles on the ground.

• From Scenic Drive, just below the star on the mountain, one can see into two nations and three states.

• Texas’ finest strain of bluebonnets, its state flower, is grown several miles southeast of El Paso.

• The notorious outlaw, John Wesley Hardin, was assassinated in downtown El Paso and buried in Concordia Cemetery. Other famous outlaws active in the region were Billy the Kid and Pancho Villa.

• El Paso was the mid-point of the Butterfield Overland Mail, which ran stagecoaches from St. Louis to San Francisco. Overland Street was named for the company, which built a large hotel at approximately the point where the Museum of Art is today.

• The stained glass Tiffany dome in the Camino Real, Paso del Norte Hotel would cost $1 million to replace today, if it were done in plastic.

• White Sands Missile Range covers about 4,000 square miles of Southern New Mexico desert. The southernmost edge of this test range is about 20 miles north of El Paso. The world’s first atomic device was tested there at Trinity site. The Space Shuttle has landed at the range, which is an alternate Shuttle landing site.

• Fort Bliss, established in 1848, is the duty station for approximately 12,500 active duty military personnel, while employing over 7,000 civilians, and has a land mass of over 1.1 million acres. The economic impact of Fort Bliss on El Paso is $1.2 billion, making it the largest single industry in El Paso.

• Being in the westernmost tip of Texas, and due to the huge size of the state, El Paso is closer to five other state capitals than it is to its own capital of Austin, Texas.

• The now dry Persimmon and Wasburn Springs of the neighboring Cornudas Mountains were used by the drivers of the Butterfield Mail Route.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by belle3388
I shall try to follow, maybe
Hey, you'd better!!
I have never been to a DO, no matter how large or small, where you haven't been present....
Not sure how I'd act if you weren't around to keep me in line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.