Search

November 2005 Tel Aviv Meet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
November 2005 Tel Aviv Meet

Please read posts # 1, 2, and 3 before asking any questions -- the odds are good that you will find your answers there.

DATES: Nov 4 - Nov 11, 2005.

RESTAURANT: Seaport Restaurant, Old Port area, Tel Aviv. 8:00, Saturday night.

We have a private room reserved and the restaurant has a wide range of dishes, including seafood, pasta, salads, lamb, and steak. The price per person, before drinks and tip, will range from $9 to $25, depending on what you order.

Although the restaurant is not kosher (because it is open on Friday nights and Saturday) its fish and meat are kosher and the owner is willing to show the certificates to anyone who wants to see them.

I will post a copy of the menu as soon as I can scan it and find a place on the internet to put it.
-------------
Schedule:

Friday, Nov 4: 9 am: Earliest arrivals have walking tour to Shuk HaCarmel and Nahalat Benyamin handicrafts street market.

Friday, Nov 4: Meet for drinks in the evening -- 8:30 pm, initial meet will be in the lobby of the Adiv Hotel on Mendele Street. FREE GOURMET WINE FROM DOVSTER'S KIBBUTZ AND TIM-TAMS WILL BE SERVED.

Saturday, Nov 5: Those who are already there will be taking a walking tour of Tel Aviv in the afternoon, guided by Apirchik. Unfortunately, almost everything will be closed but this will at least allow you to orient yourself.

That night we will have the big dinner.

Sunday, Nov 6 - Tuesday, Nov 8: Organized tours (see Post # 3 for details).

Wednesday Morning, Nov 9 - Walking tour of Tel Aviv.

Wednesday afternoon, Nov 9 - Friday, Nov 11: Free time. If anybody wants additional tours they will be available privately and I will be happy to help them arrange them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple Diamond Level (Definite):

Alysia -- Dinner, all three trips.
Apirchik -- Dinner.
Dan1431 -- Dinner, all three trips.
Dovster -- Dinner, all three trips.
Frannie -- Dinner, all three trips.
Guava -- Dinner, all three trips.
Hunki -- Dinner, first trip.
Joshua3 -- Dinner.
KathyWdrf -- Dinner, all three trips.
Kfir -- Dinner.
Kiwi Flyer -- Dinner, first trip. Possible for second trip.
KLC -- Dinner, first two trips.
Lili-Dui -- Dinner, all three trips.
Lital -- Dinner.
Lital's friend -- Dinner.
Little League Dad -- Dinner, all three trips.
Little League Mom -- Dinner, all three trips.
Little League Son -- Dinner, all three trips.
Monitor -- Dinner, all three trips.
Mrs. Nur -- Dinner.
MSY-MSP -- Dinner, definite first two trips.
MSY-MSP'S SO -- Dinner, definite first trip, possible second trip.
Myefre -- Dinner, all three trips.
Nur -- Dinner.
Ozstamps -- Dinner, all three trips.
Punki -- Dinner, first trip.
Seaskybound -- Dinner.
Shirl -- Dinner, all three trips.
Traveller -- Dinner, all three trips.

And special guest attendee, Freddie Jr

Sapphire Level (Probable):

Apirchik's friend
Neatbrian
WearyBizTrvlr

Last edited by Dovster; Nov 2, 2005 at 9:43 am
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Suggested Clothing

1. Bring bathing suits -- you will need them for the Hot Springs we will be visiting.

2. You will not need any dressy clothing at all -- you can go into the best restaurant in Tel Aviv on a weekend night wearing jeans and an old shirt and nobody will give you a second look.

3. Bring light-weight pants (nothing warmer than jeans) and light-weight long-sleeve shirts.

4. Bring at least one light sweater. A jacket would also be helpful.

5. Wear shoes that are comfortable for walking.

Keep in mind that Israel has a very flourishing fashion industry, so if you suddenly find that you need something else there will be no problem in getting it.

HOTELS AND FLIGHTS:

Apirchik:
Lives in Tel Aviv.

Joshua3:
Lives in Jerusalem, will join us for dinner and go back.

Dovster:
Arrive 3 Nov, early afternoon.
Depart 9 Nov, early aftenoon.
3 Nov - 9 Nov: Hotel Adiv, Tel Aviv

Frannie and Monitor:
Arrive 4 Nov: CO 90, 16:05
Depart 12 Nov: CO 91 23:45
4 Nov thru 9Nov: Renaissance Hotel, Tel Aviv
9 Nov thru 12Nov: Ruth Rimonim Hotel, Safed

OzStamps:
Arrive LH 4 Nov 14:55
Depart 10 Nov LH 05:30
4 Nov - 9 Nov: Sheratron Moriah, Tel Aviv

KathyWdrf:
Arrive 3 Nov, LH 686 14:55 PM
Depart: 11 Nov.
3 Nov -- 11 Nov: Sheraton Moriah, Tel Aviv

Hunki and Punki:
Arrive LH 4 Nov 14:55
Depart: 7 Nov, afternoon.

Alysia:
Arrive Air Canada 4 Nov 17:45
Depart Air Canada 11 Nov 00:30

Traveller:
Arrive 4 Nov: El Al 542, 11:05 AM
Depart 9 Nov: El Al 541 7:20 PM
4 Nov - 9 Nov: Renaissance Hotel, Tel Aviv

Shirl:
Arrive 4 Nov: CO 90, 16:05
Depart 12 Nov: CO 91 23:45
4 Nov thru 9 Nov: Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Tel Aviv
9 Nov thru 12 Nov: Ruth Rimonim Hotel, Safed

MSY-MSP and SO:
Arrive 3 Nov: AC 86 17:50
Depart 8 Nov: LH 687 16:40
Hilton Hotel

Lili-Dui:
Arrive 4 Nov: Swiss 14:30
Depart 9 Nov: Swiss 15:45
Hotel Adiv, Tel Aviv

LittleLeagueMom, Dad, and Son:
Arrive 4 Nov: LH 690 03:30
Depart 9 Nov: LH 687 16:40
Sheraton Towers, Tel Aviv

Guava
Arrive 4 Nov: BA 165 15:35
Depart 9 Nov: BA 164 16:50

Nur and Mrs Nur
Live in Tel Aviv

SeaSkyBound
Lives in Haifa

Kfir
Lives in Tel Aviv

Lital
Lives in southern Israel

KLC
Arrive AF 1620 4 Nov AF 16:00
Depart AF 1621 8 Nov AF 17:00
Sheraton Moriah

Dan1431
Renaissance, Tel Aviv

Last edited by Dovster; Oct 31, 2005 at 9:53 am
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Note: To guarantee having the bus, I will have to order it a month in advance. Therefore, I have no choice but to work in the following manner:

1. Whoever agrees to go on a particular tour will have to pay in advance. If more people decide to come, the price per person will be reduced and you will get a proportional refund.

2. The price is divided into two segments: The fixed segment, which does not matter if we are one person or 50, and the per person segment.

The fixed segment pays for the bus and the guide; the per person segment pays for our lunches and entry fees to a number of places.

The fixed segment is $546.33 per day. The per person segment is 28.33 per day.

What does this come to for each of us?

As the fixed segment is divided by the number of people on the day's trip, the individual's total will be dependant on how many people are on the trip.

Currently, the prices stand at:

First tour: 21 people -- $54.35 per person.
Second tour: 18 people: $58.68 per person.
Third tour: 15 people: $64.75 per person.

IMPORTANT: The prices quoted above include lunch and entry tickets to all sites. If you prefer, you will have the option of not paying for lunch/tickets for a particular day. (You will still be free to sit with us in the restaurant, but you will pay, yourself, for whatever you want to eat. You will have to buy your own entry tickets.) In this case, you will receive a refund of $28 for each day.

In addition, it is customary to tip the driver and the guide, and the question of how much is up to the group, but generally they give about $130 for all three days. With 20 of us this would add on another $6.50 per person.

Refunds: The $28.33 daily for food and entry tickets is refundable at any time -- up to the day of the tour. You can get it if you come or do not come.

The fixed segment will be refundable only under one circumstance -- if, after you paid, somebody else announces that he will be coming. In that case, I will ask him to send his payment to you instead of me.

Tours:

Sunday, Nov 6:

0800-0830: The bus picks us up at our hotels.
0830-1000: Drive to Jerusalem.
1015-1200: Yad Vashem. This is the national memorial for the Holocaust victims and its adjacent museum. Entry is limited and we were fortunate in our timing that the organizer was able to get us reservations.
1230-1330: Mount of Olives. and the Mount Tzofim Lookout, where you can see the desert stretching down to the Dead Sea.
1330-1400: Garden of Gethsemane .
1400-1500: Lunch in a Moroccan restaurant which is located on a peak from which you can see Bethlehem ((because Bethlehem is in the West Bank we will not be entering it for reasons of security).
1530-1730: The Old City of Jerusalem, including the ancient Jewish and Christian Quarters, the Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre (site of Jesus' crucifixion) and the Jerusalem Bazaar, where you can "shop 'til you drop" in one of the most historic sites in the world.
1730-1830: The Western Wall. .
1830-2000: Return to Tel Aviv, passing by various Israeli institutions such as the Knesset.

Monday, Nov 7:

0800-0830: The bus picks us up at our hotels.
0830-1030: Drive to Hamat Geder, with a stop at the Yardenit baptism site , where you can enter the Jordan River. (Make certain you bring a bathing suit, because even if you don't want to go into the Jordan you are going to need it at the next stop.)
1030-1230: Hamat HaGeder, natural sulfuric hot springs (two pools -- one warm, one hot). The water not only feels fantastic but is supposed to cure just about anything.
1230-1345: Lunch at Ein Gev Restaurant (on the Sea of Galilee) which specializes in St. Peter's Fish -- a variety unique to the Sea of Galilee.
1400-1530: Tour of Christian holy sites, including Capernaum (where Jesus walked on the water); Tagba (site of the miracle of the Multiplication of the Fish and Bread); and possibly the Mount of the Beatitudes (where Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount).
1530-1615: Drive to Nazereth.
1615-1700: Tour of the Church of the Annunciation (where Mary was told she would have a child).
1700-1830: Touring and shopping in Nazareth.
1830-2000: Return to the hotels.

Tuesday, Nov 8:

0900-0930: The bus picks us up at our hotels.
0930-1015: Drive to Caesaria.
1015-1200: A tour of the ruins of this ancient Roman city and a historical presentation/show in English.
1200-1300: Drive to Haifa and a ride on the cable car which gives you a view of the entire city.
1315-1400: A visit to the Bahai Gardens, among the most beautiful in the world. You have your choice of walking down 700 steps to it or taking the bus.
1400-1430: Drive to Acco (also known as "Acre").
1430-1530: Lunch in an Arab restaurant overlooking the Mediterranean.
1530-1830: A tour of Acco including the underground Crusader ruins. If the mosque is open to visitors on that day it would be well worth a visit.
18:30-20:30: Return to Tel Aviv.

Wednesday, Nov 9: Not part of the package deal, but I will be giving a walking tour of Tel Aviv. (If we are lucky, Apirchik, who knows the city much better than I do, will replace me as our guide.)

Where else should you visit?

If you are big on SCUBA diving, you might want to fly down to Eilat for a couple of days. The weather will be beautiful there in November and the diving in the Red Sea is legendary.

The Dead Sea and Masada. You may also want to spend a day in the New City of Jerusalem, seeing places of Israeli interest.

For more information on hotels, see Post # 58.

For more information on trips to Eilat and Sinai, see posts # 657, 660, and 661.

For more information about trips to other countries, see post # 679.

Last edited by Dovster; Oct 14, 2005 at 4:35 am
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Hmm.. I never thought of Israel as a tourist destination for a non-religious person like me. I guess I'll do a little research.

I'm concerned about safety, but I deliberately went to DC for a weekend when the sniper was doing his/their sniping, so I'm not a candy-a$$.

If we go during the rainy season, maybe I'll get to wear my rubber boots that I bought for VCE and never took.

Maybe.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Hmm.. I never thought of Israel as a tourist destination for a non-religious person like me. I guess I'll do a little research.
Most Americans who come here do so for religious reasons. That is not true of Europeans. Eilat is a very big draw for them (especially for those from the North) and quite a few come just to enjoy Tel Aviv's nightlife.

Of course, the fact that much of the country is fascinating from a historical point of view -- even for the non-religious -- doesn't hurt.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I have always wanted to visit Israel but never had the chance.

Please put me down in the Maybe category.

Recommendations for lodging, dining and transportation are always helpful.

For example, is it less expensive to rent a large vehicle or two in which FlyerTalk members may travel around as a group (and yet yield greater mobility) that it is for everyone to take public transportation individually?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:21 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
maybe

I'll be checking out the birding in Eilat in November. I know it's good in April.

If I can combine with a good birding trip, I'll be interested.

Originally Posted by Dovster
Most Americans who come here do so for religious reasons. That is not true of Europeans. Eilat is a very big draw for them (especially for those from the North) and quite a few come just to enjoy Tel Aviv's nightlife.

Of course, the fact that much of the country is fascinating from a historical point of view -- even for the non-religious -- doesn't hurt.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I apologize for being too vague, but how much time should one allot in Israel?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
For example, is it less expensive to rent a large vehicle or two in which FlyerTalk members may travel around as a group (and yet yield greater mobility) that it is for everyone to take public transportation individually?
Public transportation in Israel is very inexpensive but that does not always mean it is the right choice.

If you are going to Jerusalem, I would suggest taking a bus or train and then taking taxis in the city. A trip to Eilat should be done by air (again, not expensive). The Sea of Galilee tour I outlined above should be in a chartered bus (assuming we have enough people) or a couple of rented vans -- if you rely on public transportation you will not be able to fit in most of the sites.

Food is absolutely no problem at all. If you stay in the main Tel Aviv hotels you won't be able to walk very far without tripping over restaurants from many different countries. (There is even a glatt kosher Chinese restaurant across the street from one of the Sheratons.)

I will be happy to make recommendations for lodging if asked but in general you should either go to your favorite chain, endulge yourself at the Dan, or stay at the Adiv. (If the Adiv is your choice, get a price quote from a travel agent but let me know before you make your reservation. I might well be able to get it beat.)

One warning: There are three Sheratons in Tel Aviv. One of them is far from the beach front and should be avoided for this Meet. Also, the Intercontinental, while close to the beach, is far from the other hotels and from the Tel Aviv center.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peachfront
I'll be checking out the birding in Eilat in November. I know it's good in April.

If I can combine with a good birding trip, I'll be interested.
Peachfront, I don't quite understand the term "birding".

If you are talking about birdwatching, November is a little past the migration period.

If you are using the British slang for girls, Eilat's topless beaches should provide you with exactly what you are looking for -- and more so in November than April.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I apologize for being too vague, but how much time should one allot in Israel?
So far, I have given it 25 years but you can do it in less time.

If all you are interested in is the Meet and Tel Aviv/Jaffo, figure three days. Add on another three days if you want to go diving in Eilat. Jerusalem should be worth two more days. Then add one each for the Dead Sea/Masada, the Sea of Galilee, and the Golan Heights.

Of course, all of these are minimums.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:21 pm

maybe

I would love to go, depending on schedule, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mashav
I would love to go, depending on schedule, etc.
Mashav, we would love to have you join us.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
This is early...very early...but some of the people who went to the Venice Meet urged me to start a thread now about a Meet in Israel next year.
I guess by that you mean Cholula who will be saving up cases of his hot sauce to send, probably after having been told that there is nothing that makes falaffel palatable. This will be his ultimate challenge before he hangs it up, and from one who has actually tasted falaffel and much as I love Cholula and the sauce, I predict failure.

The other seems to be Canarsie, who actually does need about a year to establish where this place might be located and who should again start out a couple of days before it in order to be able to make up for getting lost along the way. We must make a note to post lookouts for him to try to keep him from wandering into Gaza or some place like that as he tries to find his way to Tel Aviv.

"Some of the people." Some group that.

Last edited by monitor; Nov 30, 2004 at 2:52 pm Reason: To further denigrate falaffel
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
If I'm around anyway

I come home (to Israel) on business sometimes and make one or two personal visits a year (but usually during passover and the summer). If I can work it, I'll join you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.