Community
Wiki Posts
Search

November 2005 Tel Aviv Meet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by monitor
The other seems to be Canarsie, who actually does need about a year to establish where this place might be located and who should again start out a couple of days before it in order to be able to make up for getting lost along the way.
Unless I am mistaken, I don’t believe there are any canals in Israel.

Remember, you are speaking of the person who left Lakewood, New Jersey after 5:00 in the afternoon, picked up several pastrami sandwiches at Katz’s Deli, met with FlyerTalk members at a restaurant on East 18 Street, and made it in plenty of time to catch a 9:00 flight at LaGuardia Airport in New York that evening...
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Economyman, I don't know how prices work CDG-TLV-CDG but TLV-CDG-TLV is a lot cheaper in November than it is either during Passover or the summer months. Obviously, this will help you live up to your user name!

You've just been added to our "preliminary possible list" and we'll all be very happy if it works out for you.

Canarsie, there may be no canals in Tel Aviv, but we do have the Mediterranean Sea.

The thing to keep in mind is that if you are walking South, the Med has to be on your right. If you are headed North, it should be on your Left. If you are wandering in an Easterly direction, it has to be at your back.

If you mess this up in any way you will find yourself getting very wet as you wade through the waves.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam

and the dead sea too!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by Dovster
Economyman, I don't know how prices work CDG-TLV-CDG but TLV-CDG-TLV is a lot cheaper in November than it is either during Passover or the summer months. Obviously, this will help you live up to your user name!
Oh, I know. Next passover it is costing me an arm and a leg to bring the family to Israel. But it's for a real 2 week holiday so it's worth it. I'll certainly try and book some business in for November next! Failing that, I'll consider my options
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:30 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
maybe

Hey, Dov....please put me on the maybe list too.........I am toying with idea of a possible trip to China next November.......

Israel sounds fascinating........
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Dedehans, you are now on our official maybe list.

If it comes down to a choice between Israel and China, keep in mind:

1. You can find many Chinese restaurants in Israel but I doubt there will be a lot of kosher places in China.

2. By visiting Israel you can see the brand new wall we have built as opposed to the old, used, wall the Chinese have. Of course, if old walls are still your thing we can bring you to The Western Wall.

3. Three major religions say that Israel is God's favorite neighborhood. Not even the Buddhists say that about China. You can't argue with God, can you?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Sounds fascinating. Please put us on the list.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
tee hee

"Birding" is the new stream-lined term for bird-watching. Perhaps I could plan the birding trip before rather than after the meet-up. I'll look into it. A quick check around seems to indicate that there are some good raptors (birds of prey not out-takes from Jurassic park) possible in autumn. I'll let you know!

Originally Posted by Dovster
Peachfront, I don't quite understand the term "birding".

If you are talking about birdwatching, November is a little past the migration period.

If you are using the British slang for girls, Eilat's topless beaches should provide you with exactly what you are looking for -- and more so in November than April.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Thumbs up Go for it!

Well, altho' I'm not sure I can make these dates, I've been before, and personally, I'll throw in a HUGE plug for visiting Israel. So many of the previous posts are indeed so right:
El Al is also one of American Airlines' partners (not OneWorld, 'tho). https://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/V...artnersContent

And, they've got non-stops from several gateway cities, ORD, MIA, LAX, etc.
Yep, statistically, the entire country of Israel is indeed statistically safer than many American cities (the Savannah stat. is true). And, yep, it's a matter of one story that makes instant world headlines vs. thousands that don't.
Israel is indeed a great place for a non-religous person to visit. It's a great look at a diverse culture that spans centuries. They're right--the hotels in Tel Aviv are all RIGHT on the shore of the Med...as in, wipe the sand off your feet when entering the lobby. Tel Aviv has a fantastic night life---definitely the city that never sleeps, and many would say its nightlife surpasses that of other more published nite spots. Great Food!!!
Jerusalem is a people-watching experience bar none, not to mention an incredible time warp thru history. People from every walk of life, every corner of the planet, etc. all coming and going. Easily a two-day trip. A day meandering thru the streets of the old city alone would be well spent, not to mention the tons of museums, galleries, etc. A picnic lunch on a hillside by the Sea of Galilee would be a really quiet, peaceful afternoon, followed by a swim there, or FRESH fish in any of the local Galillean towns that evening.
The Dead Sea, Masada, etc. are all indeed cool day trips, along with any number of lush, beautiful areas of the Jordan River.
Well, I'd go on but then people would think I work for El Al or Tourism Israel or something. I'd just say if you're on the fence about Tel Aviv, GO! And, if you can give yourself a couple of extra days to see Israel beyond Tel Aviv, DO IT! ^ ^ ^
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Put me down for a maybe. It sounds exciting!

When will you know the dates of the trip? My schedule is already filled for 2005, but with 4 months notice, I can change it.

And I won't be moving next fall.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:30 pm

Wow! Sounds great. Check for maybe list.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Punki, I have just added added you and Hunki to the list. Of course, I should warn you that when the Israeli Army finds out you are a former jarhead you might get drafted.

Bowdenj and Traveller, you are both listed and hopefully you will both be able to make it.

Traveller raised the question of the exact dates. I don't want to be too much of a dictator in all of this planning so I would like some input from the rest of you.

For the reasons stated, I suggested that it start no earlier than Oct 26 and end no later than Nov 15. Let me make some more suggestions:

1. The Meet be a week in length. Obviously, nobody is required to be here for that entire period and, conversely, you are free to stay longer if you want. A week, however, should be enough to give you a good taste of the country and it has the added advantage of qualifying for those low-fare rates which require six nights, including a Saturday.

2. The big dinner be on a Saturday night. In Israel, weekends are Friday-Saturday, not Saturday-Sunday. As Sunday morning will be a work day, there will be more room at restaurants on Saturday night than there would be on Friday night. Additionally, this gives you the option of flying in on Saturday. This is important for two reasons:

a. EL Al does not fly on Saturdays, giving you practically an empty airport.

b. Religious Jews won't fly on Saturdays, and it is my experience that the airlines have many more seats available for award tickets because of this. On my last trip I got both Continental in Business Class TLV-EWR and Alitalia in Magnifica (an extremely over-stated word to describe their service) MXP-TLV on Saturdays.

3. The Meet starts -- on an informal basis -- the day before. There will be nothing organized for that day other than gathering in a bar for the early arrivals to get to meet each other.

This means having the Meet on Oct 28 - Nov 4, Nov 4 - Nov 11, or Nov 11 - Nov 18. Do any of you have any preferences or other suggestions?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Peachfront, I just spoke with my daughter, who is the family resident bird expert. (I am serious -- she was trained by the Israeli Air Force and had the job of keeping birds off of their bases so as not to be sucked up into jet engines.)

As you probably know, Israel is birdwatchers' paradise because the flocks migrating from Europe to Africa (and return) have no other route to travel which would take them over land.

She told me that the Northern migration takes place in March-April-May with April being the ideal time and that the Southern migration is September-October-November with October being the height of it.

She suggested, however, that you not confine yourself to Eilat. The Hula Valley (slightly north of the Sea of Galilee) houses a very large nature preserve and is even a better spot for birdwatching. The downside of the Hula Valley is that it does not have any hotels and you would have to stay in either Rosh Pina (many small b&b's) or Tiberias (several large four and five star hotels).

Depending on how much free time you have, and when the dates of the Meet are finalized, you might want to come beforehand for your birdwatching and then join us before you fly home.

But, to be fair, there is one problem in that: Oct 18 through the 26 is one of the biggest holiday periods in Israel. Hotels in both the Sea of Galilee region and Eilat will be jammed. You would have to make your reservations long in advance and be prepared to pay premium prices.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:36 am

I have not had a good track record of getting to DL Forum events but once dates are set I am going to use a CO award to TLV for this trip.

I have always wanted to visit Tel Aviv and Israel in general and this would be my chance to visit the country and do the tourist thing. I will be there for J in Jan. but that is strictly meeting rooms and dinners.

Dan
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Dan, we would, indeed, like to get to actually meet you this time!

Does anyone have any problems with any of the dates listed in Post #27 of this thread? Any preferences?

If I get no response in a day or two I will go with the second one on the list (Nov 4 to Nov 11).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.