Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRT - Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 3, 2023 Saturday - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
BRT - Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 3, 2023 Saturday - NYC

Here we go again. BRT 24 will take place on Saturday June 3, 2023.

Meet at 9:45 - 10:00 Staten Island Ferry Terminal. Most subways will take you there. https://www.siferry.com/

Like the past 3 years, the day will involve taking the subway and walking, no van or bus. Bring comfortable shoes. I just took a look at a map and think that we'll walk 5 - 8 miles (or less).

We've been to the Botanic Gardens and the Brooklyn Museum (link below). Under consideration this year is the Aquarium in Coney Island. Keep in mind this isn't the Monterey Bay Aquarium. https://nyaquarium.com/ Please note ticket prices.

We can take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It offers up close views of the Lady (Statue of Liberty). The ferry is free to ride.
We can visit the NYC Transit Museum.

All options are under consideration.

Ride on the Staten Island Ferry - free
Botanic Garden https://www.bbg.org/ Adults $15. Seniors $8.00
Brooklyn Museum (of Art) https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/ Adults $16. Seniors $10.
Coney Island/Brighton Beach
NYC Transit Museum https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/ Adults $10. Seniors $5.00

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated. I'm open to all ideas. I'm not married to anything. The above are suggestions.

The only cost on Saturday will be for a few rides on the subway (possibly 6 - 7) + any admissions and food.
Last year a few of us had a snack at Nathan's. They're known for their hotdogs, fries, and orange drink. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/18/t...-hot-dogs.html

The only constant from past tours will be our pizza stop at L&B Spumoni Gardens.
L&B Spumoni Gardens

Over the years, I've always pointed out the highest elevated train station (the F train) in NYC. This tour may include a stop there. Sweeping views of Manhattan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%...D_Culver_Line)

Are you up for an adventure in my hometown? FYI, this is a free event. Your only cost will be subway fares, food, bakery goodies, and one of the optional stops mentioned above.

FYI, WineDo will take place Sunday June 4. Thread to follow.

dh

Last edited by dhammer53; May 16, 2023 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So far: 16

dhammer53 +2
HPN-HRL
FreindlySkies
stravels
Polytonic
dinoscool3
jrl767 +1
yunicorner +1
Lori_Q
ElmhurstNick
TWA884
cockpitvisit
boxo likes this.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 2, 2023 at 1:20 pm Reason: updated June 2
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is where I'd normally PM Catman and tell him that I posted BRT. Since Mark is still out of circulation, I would hope a regular SoupDoer would volunteer to organize this long running event. If interested, post away.

Dan
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Put me down as likely for now - there's a slim chance I may be dragged off to do something else that day.
dhammer53 and cocobird like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Will be there to absorb more of the Brooklyn sights.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looking forward to another BRT!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Put me down as a tentative. I can't commit to an entire weekend but I may make an appearance as I did last year.

-J.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dhammer53
This is where I'd normally PM Catman and tell him that I posted BRT. Since Mark is still out of circulation, I would hope a regular SoupDoer would volunteer to organize this long running event. If interested, post away.

Dan
I'll give La Bonne Soup a call and see about making a reservation. I will also post a thread, but in the meantime, if anybody is interested, please mention it here as well to give an idea of how many seats we might need.
dhammer53 and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'll give La Bonne Soup a call and see about making a reservation. I will also post a thread, but in the meantime, if anybody is interested, please mention it here as well to give an idea of how many seats we might need.
I'll be there for sure, and am happy to help with organizing in any way as well if needed.

-J.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'll be in NY in time to join you.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I'll be there for sure, and am happy to help with organizing in any way as well if needed.

-J.
Thanks; I'll go direct with you!

In the mean time, the thread is live for SoupDO 18!

SoupDO 18 - June 2nd, 2023
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
I’m hoping to make it. Mahalo! Will try to convince a few locals (NYers) to join.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Notes from last year.

Recap.

We departed Grand Central Station at 10:15, bound for Time Out market in Dumbo (Brooklyn).
After arriving, we viewed lower Manhattan form the Brooklyn side. We headed inside to eat at the many upscale places. We found picnic type tables upstairs. I think most of us enjoyed what we ordered. We headed to the F train at 1:05, bound for the Smith 9th street station. It's the highest station in NYC. Great views of lower Manhattan.

cocobird saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time!! We then headed 2 stops further to 7th Ave in Park Slope. We did the usual Starbucks stop for a bathroom / coffee break. It was hot. We walked 10 additional minutes to Grand Army Plaza and sat down for a few minutes to rest. From there we walked 5 minutes to the Brooklyn Museum of Art. I didn't think we'd get to the Aquarium on time since the last entry was 4:00, and had to buy tickets in advance. The Museum was a substitute. We spent an hour there. It was air conditioned. We departed the museum at 4:00 pm.

We took the subway from the museum to Coney Island (the beach). We hung out there for a little while. While it was hot in humid all day, Coney Island was cool, dry, and breezy. It was perfect beach weather. We stopped at Nathan's. Many of us enjoyed the best fries in all of NYC. They're also known for their franks and orange drink. We then walked across the street to catch the train for a 5 minute trip to L&B Spumoni Gardens. They're known for their upside down Sicilian pizza (square slice).

The scheduled arrival time on my aggressive time table was off by an hour. We arrived L&B at 6:10, and departed at 7:10. To have done the day properly, we could have used another 60 - 90 minutes to really enjoy ourselves; but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

cocobird and I took the train back to Grand Central, while the others went elsewhere.

See you all on June 3, 2023.

FYI, there were 3 people that were first timers to Coney Island. The only cost was 6 subway fares. A paid tour would have cost at least 4x's more. I specialize in Flyertalk pricing.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Put me down on the interested list! I just have to remember to actually be in town that week.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Put me down as interested!
dhammer53 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.