Wiki Posts
Search

BRT - Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 3, 2023 Saturday - NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 11:34 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jrl767
iirc you used to be able to swipe more than one person on the same card … is that still a thing?
Yes, but with one significant caveat: the card cannot be used again at the same subway station or the same bus route for at least 18 minutes from the first swipe. https://new.mta.info/fares/metrocard...and-conditions

No such restrictions for a pay-per-ride MetroCard with stored value on it or using OMNY. However, for the latter, multiple taps at the same reader would not count towards the 12 ride fare cap.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
iirc you used to be able to swipe more than one person on the same card … is that still a thing?
If I recall , you could. Not sure about that these days.

I'm just back from DUB and BRU, so I'm playing catch up. If anyone has questions, please ask. See you Saturday at 10 at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. If we miss the 10:00 ferry, the next one is 10:30. If you miss the 10:00, please wait for us to return at 11:00. If I miss the 10:00 boat, we'll take the 10:30 ferry.

Weather is expected to be 72 on Saturday, can't say the same for Friday. If the weather is bad after we leave the ferry, we'll take the subway to City Hall and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

dh
FriendlySkies and yunicorner like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
... https://new.mta.info/fares/metrocard...and-conditions No such restrictions for a pay-per-ride MetroCard with stored value on it or using OMNY. However, for the latter, multiple taps at the same reader would not count towards the 12 ride fare cap.
thx, I set up a card in OMNY so we'll just use that as we go (don't think we'll hit 12 rides * each *)
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
South Ferry Terminal, right?

Hello! To clarify, we're meeting at the South Ferry Terminal near the Battery park? https://goo.gl/maps/upTqcNuhPPEWdAK77
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
we will pass on the ferry, and will rendezvous with the group at City Hall Park ~1130
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
{earlier question deleted as I just saw Dan's May 16 post}

Assuming JetBlue has their act together and doesn't delay my flight into JFK, I should be dropping off my bag at the Brooklyn Marriott at 10:30 and then taking the subway over to meet you all at City Hall.

Last edited by ElmhurstNick; Jun 2, 2023 at 1:04 pm
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Hello! To clarify, we're meeting at the South Ferry Terminal near the Battery park? https://goo.gl/maps/upTqcNuhPPEWdAK77
Correct. There's only 1 Staten Island Ferry Terminal.
It's located at South Ferry Terminal near Battery Park.

See everyone for the 10:00 am ferry.

Last call if anyone wants my cell number.

Dan
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Given current schedule, when do you think you will be crossing the bridge? I will be waiting for you on the Brooklyn side at whatever your coffee/bathroom stop will be. Assuming JetBlue has their act together and doesn't delay my flight into JFK, I should be dropping off my bag at the Brooklyn Marriott at 10:30.
Nick.

There's a side exit off the bridge that will save us the extra steps. It's not the regular exit/entrance. I'd suggest meeting us at Time Out Market in Dumbo. https://www.timeoutmarket.com/newyork/ Take a look at the food choices.

There's an entrance to the market on the water side, not far from the carousel. It will be a nice place to wait as you look at lower Manhattan from the Brooklyn side.

Estimated time? If we take the 10:00 ferry and return by 11:00, it's a 20 - 25 minute walk up Broadway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%20City%20Hall.

to the Brooklyn Bridge. The walk across the bridge if we don't stop is 25 minutes, and we will stop. Estimated time till we exit is 1:00 ish (don't hold me to it). It's a 10 minute walk to the Time Out entrance.

I would hope to depart Time Out by 2:00. We'll reach the Transit Museum no later than 2:30. We'll depart no later than 3:15. It's a 15 minute walk to the subway. We should get to the Coney Island Boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean no later than 4:30. I'm padding the schedule just like the airlines. Last year we stopped at Nathan's Coney Island, the home of the annual July 4th hotdog eating contest. While I'll hold off on eating a frank, I expect to get an order of the best fries in the US + an orange drink. It's not diluted with lots of water. It's the only place I'll drink that.

From Coney Island we'll take the subway one stop to L&B Spumoni Gardens with an ETA 5:45 - 6:00. We'll leave L&B whenever we're ready. Let's say 6:45. It's about an hour back to midtown Manhattan, less if you're staying downtown.

Over the years some attendees departed during the day, while other show up mid trip and surprise us. You can come and go as you please. I don't care.
Truth is that I do care, but if you get tired or have someplace to go Saturday night, that's fine with me.

Last call if anyone wants my cell number.

Weather tomorrow is high 60's or 20C for my friend from Europe. The weatherman was threatening showers all week, but the day looks rain free. Whew!

Edited to say add an extra 30 minutes if we miss the 10:00 ferry and have to wait till 10:30. It will push everything back.

See you tomorrow.
Dan
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If anyone can bring a charger for a Samsung phone, it would be appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dhammer53
If anyone can bring a charger for a Samsung phone, it would be appreciated.
I carry a spare battery and universal cables if anyone needs juice during the day.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have a charging brick also
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
we have a charging brick also
+1

Boarding the 4 at Grand Central— see everybody in a bit.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

Boarding the 4 at Grand Central— see everybody in a bit.
I was a couple of trains ahead of you.

​See you soon.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Planning on joining at Time Out Market.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just arrived to the SI Ferry. Standing on the upper level with Dan and TWA884.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.