Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kansas City BBQ DO - May 5th-7th, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BOB W
Flights booked so I will be there. Arrving May 3 to have time to explore. Leaving May 8 late afternoon.
Now you just need to convince beckoa and jackal to attend

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
sorry to miss this, but I'm making my first proper visit to KC just a couple weekends earlier for baseball, so will be borrowing BBQ recommendations from this thread
If you have time when you visit, feel free to reach out. I'm always happy to meet FTers for BBQ and I'm sure we could rustle some of the locals!
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Late to the party but I'm a maybe. Would definitely be flying home at 6am Sunday. Should know for sure about two weeks in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I’m somewhat interested, never been to that part of the country. I really enjoy barbecue, Unable to commit at this time but will be keeping an eye on this thread. Thank you for organizing
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Confirmed in with my +1.

Post-food on Saturday will probably include:
1) Negro League Museum
2) OAK v MCI game
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Now you just need to convince beckoa and jackal to attend
I have a flight down. Return is not cooperating currently. But have a few ideas afoot.
FriendlySkies and rxgeek like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Rxgeek+1 are booked. Looks like the "Year of the DO" for me.
Governator and FriendlySkies like this.

Last edited by rxgeek; Feb 14, 2023 at 1:08 pm Reason: Status change
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Gold
Daniel, I am going to suggest that you make a reservation at Q39 for Friday night's dinner. I think they have a banquet/party room in the back. If 20 of us show up at 7:30 on a Friday there is no way we will all be seated. You can give Q39 a firm head count by Monday when everyone going should be confirmed.
Majuki and Calchas like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Upgrade me to confirmed arriving either Thurs night or Fri noonish.

Multiple flights & hotels booked so hopefully something will work

Car rental prices OTOH are a bit crazy & I'm super bummed that the Hertz at the Westin charges a hefty fee for dropping at MCI 🙄
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:51 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bk3day
Car rental prices OTOH are a bit crazy
Agree. I've got my rental being tracked by Autoslash and hope it comes down.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 4:45 pm

Car rental prices OTOH are a bit crazy & I'm super bummed that the Hertz at the Westin charges a hefty fee for dropping at MCI 🙄
Luckily, I have Hertz points to use for a car. I'll be heading to MCI about 8:30 Sunday from the Westin and can offer a ride.
bk3day likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Luckily, I have Hertz points to use for a car. I'll be heading to MCI about 8:30 Sunday from the Westin and can offer a ride.
Appreciate the offer but i should be okay. Was just venting my annoyance at a drop-off fee that almost equals the daily rate!
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Upgrade me to confirmed arriving either Thurs night or Fri noonish.

Multiple flights & hotels booked so hopefully something will work

I know! Mine had jumped from my normal $29/day to $31! Dang. Will be good to see you again bk3day
bk3day likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Are we going to really need rental cars for this? I have a free two-day rental from Avis I was hoping to use later this year, but it sounds like this might be the better the time to use it. I was planning on using a combination of Uber/Lyft and public transportation, so maybe someone can tell me if that isn't as feasible as I think it is. There is no Avis near my hotel and parking on property is $25 a day.

-J.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Are we going to really need rental cars for this? I have a free two-day rental from Avis I was hoping to use later this year, but it sounds like this might be the better the time to use it. I was planning on using a combination of Uber/Lyft and public transportation, so maybe someone can tell me if that isn't as feasible as I think it is. There is no Avis near my hotel and parking on property is $25 a day.

-J.
Didn't mean to start a panic.

fwiw, I really was only planning to get a car for Sat-Sun to also see some sights in addition to the scheduled meal venues.

That plan was working well as the Amex Plat (w/4hr grace) rates at the Westin Hertz were @$50ish - pretty much half what everyone at MCI is currently charging. It just sucks that the Westin Hertz is closed Sunday and charges a hefty drop fee to MCI.

Others probably know better and prices can change but at current rates, it seems that Uber should work depending on your extracurricular activities?
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
While it might not be a bad idea, I would imagine folks would be okay with carpooling. I’ve got five open seats in my car and I’m happy to transport folks around to the various locations.
BTA, mnmag, cocobird and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.