Wiki Posts
Search

The NYC Delicatessen DO 2: January 29, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The NYC Delicatessen DO 2: January 29, 2023

Welcome to the second official Deli DO, where we all enjoy lunch at a Kosher or Jewish-style delicatessen in New York City.

The plan is very simple: we'll get lunch at a classic Jewish delicatessen in Manhattan. For Deli DO 1 and 1.5 we went to the Second Avenue Deli, which is my favorite deli, but the decision is left to the group to choose. I'm happy to share an expanded list of options which now include:
  • 2nd Ave Deli (K) (Manhattan)
  • Ben's Kosher Deli (K) (Manhattan)
  • Katz's Delicatessen (Manhattan)
  • Mendy's Kosher Delicatessen (K) (Manhattan)
  • Pastrami Queen (K) (Manhattan)
  • PJ Bernstein Deli (Manhattan)
  • Sarge's Delicatessen(Manhattan)
  • Liebman's Delicatessen (K) (Riverdale, Bronx)
  • Essen NY Deli (K) (Brooklyn)
  • Gottlieb's Restaurant (K) (Brooklyn)
  • Mill Basin Deli (K) (Brooklyn)
(K) = Kosher

Keep in mind that some of these places are cash only; for those that aren't, if we are seated together, we may have to share checks. This is not up for negotiation as large groups such as ours often impose on what are typically smaller businesses. Additionally, please do not bring large luggage with you (anything larger than a standard carry-on) as space is often limited in these establishments. (If anyone needs a place to store luggage, I can help make arrangements.)

Please post below as to if you can attend (definite or tentative), and I will update the list accordingly. As the date approaches, we will finalize the details and determine a location. This will likely take place in the late morning to allow attendees to book afternoon or evening flights (or other travel) that day.

Please complete the following brief survey by 2359ET on January 25th: Deli DO2 Survey (if you are a "maybe/probable", please note this in the comments)

N.B.: the last two times, we went to the 2nd Avenue Deli and were pleased with it (at least I was), and they were extremely accommodating. Katz's has said in the past that we can wait in line (and hope to sit together) or get the private room in the back and be limited to party platters (though if we only have a small group, this may not be an issue). We may have an easier time being accommodated outside of Manhattan, but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to go to Pastrami Queen or Sarge's. Mill Basin in Brooklyn is also highly recommended.

I look forward to seeing you at the deli

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jan 16, 2023 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Location Info

Start time: 1100 ET

205 East Houston Street
(corner of Ludlow St)
New York City, 10002

Nearby subway service: (F) to Second Avenue; (F) (M) (J) or (Z) to Delancey/Essex Sts.

Parking: Ludlow Parking (169 Ludlow between E. Houston & Stanton Sts.) offers special rates through this link. Limited street parking may also be available.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jan 26, 2023 at 7:47 am
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Attendee List

Definite
GW McLintock
Long Train Runnin
dhammer53
Eastbay1K
iluv2fly
stockmanjr
bk3day
Zorak

Tentative
monitor + frantic

------------------------------

-J.
dhammer53 likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jan 29, 2023 at 8:57 am
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Bummed I will miss this! Heading up to ITH for my birthday weekend to see some family (flight were, amazingly, not terribly priced on UA to SYR).
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
FYI: Pastrami Queen says that they are kosher.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by guv1976
FYI: Pastrami Queen says that they are kosher.
Been there before. Definitely Kosher. And yummie!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

List has been updated.

For those of you who can't make it, we'll of course have 2.5 over the summer whenever Summer In The City DO3 takes place.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Ah darn it. I will be traveling that day.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Noooooo! I'm going to miss this by one day.

Flying out the day before. Darn. I was really hoping to meet some of you NYC folks too.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Noooooo! I'm going to miss this by one day.

Flying out the day before. Darn. I was really hoping to meet some of you NYC folks too.
In theory we could do the day before, but (being Shabbat) that would knock out about half of the delicatessen choices.

I know this is kind of close in but with other DOs in the following weeks, I wanted to get this one in sooner than later. There will of course be 2.5 over the summer, so plan to come to that

​​​​​​​-J.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I grew up around the corner from the Mill Basin Deli and it's still my favorite. I used to work a few blocks from the 2nd Ave Deli, and Mill Basin is still my favorite.

I don't know if you've ever been there, but it likely can accommodate a larger group BUT, you should note it is not that easy to get there. It's in a 2 fare + a walk zone from the subway.

I'm not sure if I would be able to attend, though I would absolutely love to.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
In theory we could do the day before, but (being Shabbat) that would knock out about half of the delicatessen choices.

I know this is kind of close in but with other DOs in the following weeks, I wanted to get this one in sooner than later. There will of course be 2.5 over the summer, so plan to come to that

​​​​​​​-J.
Oh yeah no worries! I've got a 4:15pm flight ex-EWR on the 28th, so it's a bit unlikely I'd make it on the Saturday either. Weekend before/after would have been perfect hah.

Hopefully I'll get to meet up with everybody in the summer.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I grew up around the corner from the Mill Basin Deli and it's still my favorite. I used to work a few blocks from the 2nd Ave Deli, and Mill Basin is still my favorite.

I don't know if you've ever been there, but it likely can accommodate a larger group BUT, you should note it is not that easy to get there. It's in a 2 fare + a walk zone from the subway.

I'm not sure if I would be able to attend, though I would absolutely love to.
Well you are now on the tentative list. I will admit this DO is a bit of a shot in the dark as I know there's a DO a couple weeks later in Texas, but I'm at least hoping to get a few locals in.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Sorry I can't make this, as I will be boarding a cruise out of Galveston that morning. Hoping I can fit the summer 2.5 Do into my travels.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Count me in!
GW McLintock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.