rxgeek +1
Santander
Herb687
bk3day
stravels
GrjApp

The Stave
5711 McCracken Pike, Frankfort, KY 40601 https://g.page/TheStaveKentucky?share
7pm porch table (currently reserved for 8 pax)
Zorak
Herb687
rxgeek+1
Santander (tentative)
cocobird
HPN-HRL
GrjApp

The Stave Made res for 4 (will join above if tentatives cancel or edit res if more than 2 want to join); assuming outdoor seating is the porch
stravels
bk3day
Print Wikipost

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XX, October 14-16, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Herb687
For those who would like to join me on a horse farm tour on Friday 10/14, I booked the 2:00pm tour at Gainsborough Farm - Godolphin's nursery farm in Versailles.

Please go ahead and make your own reservation if you'd like to join the tour. Looks like there is plenty of availability right now. Cost is $30 (up from the standard Horse Country $20. I guess Sheikh Mohammed really needs the money)

Can be booked through Visit Horse Country. It's the Mares and Foals Shuttle Tour at Gainsborough Farm:
https://visithorsecountry.com/godolp...nsborough-farm

If it's a nice day and enough of us are going to the farm, I might suggest lunch beforehand at Wallace Station. Nice patio, good sandwiches, and the occasional R-22 helicopter interrupting your lunch and touching down on a way too small grassy knoll on the property.
Mentioning the Sheikh jogged my memory. I did this tour in 2019.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Mentioning the Sheikh jogged my memory. I did this tour in 2019.
Are you sure that wasn't Godolphin's stud operation at Jonabell Farm? I've been there a couple of times but never to this nursery farm out in Versailles.

Since the stallion season is over in our hemisphere, I figured it would be fun to see mares and foals this fall.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Are you sure that wasn't Godolphin's stud operation at Jonabell Farm? I've been there a couple of times but never to this nursery farm out in Versailles.

Since the stallion season is over in our hemisphere, I figured it would be fun to see mares and foals this fall.
As Ed McMahon used to say, you are correct, sir. I went to https://www.godolphin.com/
3333 Bowman Mill Road, Lexington, KY
We're booked.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:26 am

If you are making a reservation through Horse Country, check your confirmation email. Just like my last booking, they got the date wrong. When I called they said it was the second time today.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Advice and ride offer

Aloha e all! This will be my 1st LEX DO/visit to KY (didn't realize it was EST). I'm signed up for some things and will book the horse farm tour, but are there other things I should do/see/eat... I'll finalize Thursday's arrival at CVG soon. I'll be renting a car and staying at the HR. Happy to provide a ride.

Is anyone interested in a bourbon tour? bk3day suggested an established place as well as a boutique place (apologies if my terminology is wrong; I'm learning...learned at a dinner with frequent flyer friends last week that I like bourbon, but they may have spoiled me with Pappy Van Winkle. I was told to purchase it if I could find it at a good price, but I need to find out more details.

Excited to finally be able to attend and look forward to meeting you all.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by stravels
Aloha e all! This will be my 1st LEX DO/visit to KY (didn't realize it was EST). I'm signed up for some things and will book the horse farm tour, but are there other things I should do/see/eat... I'll finalize Thursday's arrival at CVG soon. I'll be renting a car and staying at the HR. Happy to provide a ride.

Is anyone interested in a bourbon tour?
Always! Though if you're not arriving until Thursday it looks like the group is putting together a packed agenda.

You'd definitely have time to book a Friday morning distillery tour and make it to the horse farm by 2pm.

bk3day suggested an established place as well as a boutique place (apologies if my terminology is wrong; I'm learning...learned at a dinner with frequent flyer friends last week that I like bourbon, but they may have spoiled me with Pappy Van Winkle. I was told to purchase it if I could find it at a good price, but I need to find out more details.
For a first time visitor to Bourbonland, Maker's Mark in Loretto is probably the best tour. For a repeat visitor to Bourbonland, Maker's Mark in Loretto is probably the best tour. Best tour doesn't mean best bourbon (though Maker's Cask Strength is darn good stuff) but I've always loved the experience of touring the Maker's Mark distillery.

There are several boutique distillers closer to LEX that might not be as difficult to book on shortish notice: Bluegrass Distillers in the old Rainbo (?) bread bakery building which also has a good casual fish and chips restaurant and the greatness that is West Sixth Brewing. West 6th is my favorite brewery in the area.

Also Barrel House Distilling is right in town and a small boutique alchemists lab type experience.

For big distilleries, Buffalo Trace is always good but becoming overcrowded and overtouristed (see also Woodford Reserve).

As for other things to eat: Spalding's donuts!

And, yes, finding any expression of Pappy Van Winkle at MSRP is definitely a case of buy every single bottle you can find. But, sadly, it's nigh on impossible to find a single bottle at retail price.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 28, 2022 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:57 am

Thank you! Booked Horse Country tour. There are 6 tickets left for the 2 p.m. slot. Maker's Mark it is! Anyone want to join me Friday morning before the horse tour? Will try to fit in a boutique distillery after bk3day arrives.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maker's Mark tours appear to be sold out for Friday morning. I can't remember if it's possible to just show up at Maker's Mark and get on a tour as a standby but with Loretto being about 1 1/2 hours from LEX I don't think I'd want to drive all the way there just to find out...

Other big name distilleries that we could try to hit Friday AM subject to availability:
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve
Wild Turkey ? (I haven't been here in years. Used to think I didn't like their bourbon at all until I discovered their Russell's Reserve brand)
Heaven Hill in Bardstown

stravels: for the boutique distilleries that you and bk3day want to visit - in addition to Barrel House and Bluegrass Distillers right in LEX, try to swing by Castle and Key:
https://castleandkey.com/

First post time at KEE isn't until 1pm on Saturday so it would also be possible to do a bourbon distillery tour Saturday morning if it's somewhere west of LEX but not too far west. Distilleries that are less than an hour to KEE include Buffalo Trace, Castle and Key, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, Glenns Creek, (possibly) Four Roses.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:49 pm

Thank you! Yes, saw that's Makers Mark is sold out. Shucks! Will probably try to do a tour Sat morning or even Sunday afternoon or Monday. However, my plan is to be at the HR by Thursday evening, so please contact me if there's anything going on that I can join in on. I will be renting a car (most likely from CVG--finalizing air today).
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:27 pm

Maker's Mark tours appear to be sold out for Friday morning. I can't remember if it's possible to just show up at Maker's Mark and get on a tour as a standby but with Loretto being about 1 1/2 hours from LEX I don't think I'd want to drive all the way there just to find out...

Other big name distilleries that we could try to hit Friday AM subject to availability:
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve
Wild Turkey ? (I haven't been here in years. Used to think I didn't like their bourbon at all until I discovered their Russell's Reserve brand)
Heaven Hill in Bardstown

stravels: for the boutique distilleries that you and bk3day want to visit - in addition to Barrel House and Bluegrass Distillers right in LEX, try to swing by Castle and Key:
https://castleandkey.com/

First post time at KEE isn't until 1pm on Saturday so it would also be possible to do a bourbon distillery tour Saturday morning if it's somewhere west of LEX but not too far west. Distilleries that are less than an hour to KEE include Buffalo Trace, Castle and Key, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, Glenns Creek, (possibly) Four Roses.
I'd like to visit Castle & Key but how can you work that in on Friday? Sunday looks like the only open day in my schedule.
Speaking of donuts, I recommend North Lime. No crowds, great donuts and coffee.
stravels likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
My friend Bill at Chevy Chase Inn says he will have Pappy Van Winkle bourbon during the DO. For those unfamiliar, this is the most sought-after bourbon in the world probably and his bar offers it at a discount Friday and Sunday at 5:30 pm sharp.

Details forthcoming.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:18 pm

Horse Country sent me one free general admission to Keeneland. PM me if you want it.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
“Cocaine Bear” the movie is coming soon:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine_Bear

See the original taxidermied Cocaine Bear in LEX:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/50220
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
“Cocaine Bear” the movie is coming soon:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine_Bear

See the original taxidermied Cocaine Bear in LEX:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/50220
Although you mentioned this frequently I never knew the story. Hopefully, the premier will be in Lexington and you can plan an event around it.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still have a few tickets left for Saturday at Keeneland. Weather forecast looks great at the moment: sunny and 69 for Saturday. Anyone else want a ticket?

Watched a couple of KEE races on TV yesterday. Was a beautiful day in the Bluegrass with some great racing. Two Breeders Cup "Win and You're In" races from KEE will be broadcast today at 5pm ET on CNBC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.