Wiki Posts
Search

RIP gfowler-ord-1k

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
RIP gfowler-ord-1k

I am sad to report that Gene passed away early March. I do not know the exact date. Only found out when visiting his FB page where his brother posted a farewell message. I met Gene only once at a Singapore do, but strangely remember that he was the first to report on United's new lie-flat seats way back when.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:34 am
Community Director Emerita

This is sad news. Gene lived in Mesa, AZ, and we saw him at a number of events. He was an avid hiker. I remember him going down into the Grand Canyon. We've had three deaths announced in the last week or so, MRKEY, lili, and now gfowler. All of them came to the big San Diego Do in 2001. It's a blow to lose all three.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Another tremendous loss to the FT community When I joined FT in Nov. 2009 while in college, Gene’s posts about the new IPTE seats were among the first I saw (along with his SmugMug) as I was learning all about ways to upgrade my study aboard trip to England my freshman year of college. I never had the chance to meet him in person, but he seemed like an incredible person and a big asset to FT.
chchkiwi, dhammer53 and boxo like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Rest In Paradise my friend
boxo likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Very sorry to hear this news.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm so sorry to hear this. RIP my friend.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Both Pat (lili) and Gene were active on the now-dormant FT Chat service and we had a lot of fun talking about miles, points, and etc. (mostly the latter). I also enjoyed his enthusiasm in the UA Forum and the times I saw him at various Dos. RIP, Gene...
Old May 16, 2022, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm very sorry to hear this. When I was in college at Arizona State Gene used to stay at the Sheraton Tempe. He'd invite me over for drinks at the executive lounge. As an undergrad the chance to score a couple of Budweisers and eat something other than hot dogs and mac and cheese was a big deal for me. I appreciate him giving me those nice moments.
SPN Lifer, pudgym29 and GUWonder like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:45 pm
mjm
Original Member

Wow, anther great FTer gone to the heavenly lounge. Gene was a friend for many years and every United flyer's friends with his smarts and ability to work the system. I will think of him tonight, he was a gem of a human being and I treasure our travels together.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:11 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I crossed paths with Gene a few times at various FT events. Very sad to hear of his passing.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I first met Gene in Scottsdale, Arizona back on November 2, 2007: Phoenix Nov 2 - Friday lunch & other activities on that weekend

Rest in peace, gfowler-ord-1k.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Our dear late friend Gene attended multiple BRT's. He'd ride with his friend Eugene. Both were nice guys. I recall when Gene was stuck in Thailand during some unrest 10 or 15 years ago. I remember when he moved to AZ. I had no idea that anyone could fly into Flagstaff or Prescott. My memory is fuzzy on the exact location. His new house looked nice.

I'm not normally superstitious, but the passing of recent Flyertalkers were all riders on BRT. This makes me extra sad. Gene and my other late friends weren't screen names. They were nice people and a pleasure to associate with. I hope Gene continues his first class travels. Rest in peace my friend.

Dan
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I first met Gene in 1995 through a friend of mine. At the time, he was living in suburban Chicago with his partner. We didn't cross paths again until many years later at one of the PSP FT DOs.
We didn't keep in touch, as we were acquaintances at best, but I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I am very sorry to hear about this. I do not believe I have ever met Gene but worked together with him on the United 5x bonus miles back in 2004. He fought for everyone and had my respect. Condolences to his family.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Rest In Peace Gene. I am so grateful for all the memories, from Flyertalk 1 where I met you, to my first Grand canyon trip and the many drinks shared in Chicago. Will miss you my friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.