Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

WineDo - Sunday June 26, 2022- North Square in NYC

WineDo - Sunday June 26, 2022- North Square in NYC

Old May 24, 22, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bumping this.

Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Our dear friend Michael, aka violist, always went out of his way to bring something good to dinner. Some years, he'd send me a bottle months in advance because he didn't know when he'd be home. So whatever you bring to dinner, make it that special bottle, or a bottle you think Michael would have enjoyed. Rest in peace my friend. Wishing that your first class travels include multiple stops in wine country.

Don't have a wine like that? Not to worry. Maybe you've been to Napa, Australia, Washington State, Oregon, Germany, or Argentina. If those parts of the world hold fond memories, bring a wine from that region. We're not checking I D at the door. As long as you think the wine will taste good, bring it.
Old May 24, 22, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, AS MVPG 75K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Kimpton IC
Bumping this.
I'm in Australia for the next week or so and will freely admit I'm not a wine expert. Any suggestions for a brilliant wine to bring back for the DO (and maybe some for later)?
Old May 25, 22, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Paypal payment info coming within the next week. Have a great weekend everyone.

June 26th is a month away. Time to start thinking about what you're going to bring. If you need to source from my cellar, let me know. I have plenty of $35 - $50 wine; or if 2 of you decide to share a bottle, I have several $70 - $85 bottles of wine. I can also manage 3 people going in on a bottle.

Edit > for those coming with a +1, everyone would appreciate a better bottle of wine ie bring a $70 bottle instead of 2 bottles of $35 wine. This is only a suggestion.

dh
Unless the TSA rules have changed, I will still need to source from your cellar, as usual. (If it were permissible to carry on a bottle -- sealed, of course -- of wine in one's rollaboard, I would happily do that. I don't want to check any luggage -- even if just a small bag containing a bottle of wine.)
Old May 25, 22, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Governator View Post
I'm in Australia for the next week or so and will freely admit I'm not a wine expert. Any suggestions for a brilliant wine to bring back for the DO (and maybe some for later)?
There's lots of good Ozzie wine that isn't available here in the US. A nice Pinot Noir from the Central Otago region would be something good to drink. Same goes for a Shiraz.
When you go to the shop, tell them you want to knock the socks off your American wine friends. That should motivate to sales associate to find something good.

$50 AUD gets you a $35 wine. I'd venture a guess that whatever you bring back, if you could find it here, would be more expensive.

dh
Governator likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
Unless the TSA rules have changed, I will still need to source from your cellar, as usual. (If it were permissible to carry on a bottle -- sealed, of course -- of wine in one's rollaboard, I would happily do that. I don't want to check any luggage -- even if just a small bag containing a bottle of wine.)
I may have something in my cellar that you'll enjoy. If anyone else wants to go in with me and KathyWdrf, let me know. It would be fun drinking a bottle that's at least $105. I have another idea up my sleeve if a fourth person wants to go in with us.

Dan
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 12:40 pm

Programs: Gold 100 Alaska, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 50K, UA Silver
Dan,
May I join you in sourcing from your cellar?
dhammer53 likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 11:23 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Similar question to Governator, but different region. I'm going to Bordeaux, specifically Bergerac, in two weeks and will have some time to visit wineries. Any recommendations for places to check out in general would be awesome, but especially places where I could pick up a special bottle of wine for the do!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by FlyerStef View Post
Similar question to Governator, but different region. I'm going to Bordeaux, specifically Bergerac, in two weeks and will have some time to visit wineries. Any recommendations for places to check out in general would be awesome, but especially places where I could pick up a special bottle of wine for the do!
wonderful place, an hour away from where are you going to be:

https://www.laciteduvin.com/en/permanent-exhibition

Located in the City of Bordeaux, the museum has an interesting selection of wines and you can taste many of them in the restaurant above especially on the outside patio looking over the river. Theres many local purveyors in the surrounding areas that will be more than happy to help you with a selection. I would look for a 2018 vintage , There are some excellent wines in the lower pedigree names (meaning non-classified growths)
PS: theres no entrance fee to the museum if youre going to the restaurant or the wine shop
FlyerStef likes this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 26, 22 at 1:22 pm
Old May 26, 22, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Doesn't matter to me where you go as long as you bring back a nice red! Bordeaux is my favorite

-J.
FlyerStef likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 12:29 pm

Programs: US, HH
Unfortunately I need to bow out of WineDO this year. I hope everybody has a wonderful time, enjoying lovely wines from all over. Hopefully next year works for me!
Old May 26, 22, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
wonderful place, an hour away from where are you going to be:

https://www.laciteduvin.com/en/permanent-exhibition

Located in the City of Bordeaux, the museum has an interesting selection of wines and you can taste many of them in the restaurant above especially on the outside patio looking over the river. Theres many local purveyors in the surrounding areas that will be more than happy to help you with a selection. I would look for a 2018 vintage , There are some excellent wines in the lower pedigree names (meaning non-classified growths)
PS: theres no entrance fee to the museum if youre going to the restaurant or the wine shop
Thank you, this was exactly the kind of recommendation I was hoping for!!
Old May 27, 22, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An answer form a wine friend...
Bergerac is about 1 hour from St. Emilion. I would recommend you to get there, you will find tons of reliable shops that sell all Bordeaux bottles. Specially if you are looking for older vintages. The retailers have people to guide you if you need help finding that special bottle (s) too. Also, they are experts about shipping wine to the US.
FlyerStef likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Governator View Post
My wife has expressed interest in attending, so please add a +1 for me to waiting list.
I'd like to welcome your wife to WineDo. She cleared the waitlist.
Governator likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 9:12 am

An answer form a wine friend...
Bergerac is about 1 hour from St. Emilion. I would recommend you to get there, you will find tons of reliable shops that sell all Bordeaux bottles. Specially if you are looking for older vintages. The retailers have people to guide you if you need help finding that special bottle (s) too. Also, they are experts about shipping wine to the US.
We were already planning on stopping at St Emilion on our way from the Bordeaux airport to Bergerac - that's perfect! Thank you!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Understood dhammer53 ! Sign me up as attending, I will give ample notice (more than 30 days) if something comes up and Im unable attend . Ill most likely bring a Vintage Champagne
Unfortunately, Im going have to bow out! I will continue to watch this thread vicariously! However Im looking forward to meeting the group next year. I wanted to send my message early, as I know that someone on the waiting list will be looking to clear!
Enjoy!
dhammer53 likes this.

Search this Thread