Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

WineDo - Sunday June 26, 2022- North Square in NYC

WineDo - Sunday June 26, 2022- North Square in NYC

Old Feb 22, 22, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
I expect Catman to post his Friday night dinner DO any day. He has it at Le Bonne Soup in midtown west. https://labonnenyc.com/

BRT was always a cheap day. Pizza lunch, and a nice sit down dinner that was usually under $30. This was designed to be affordable for everyone.
WineDo is a chance to relax and have a nice meal with friends. It's in a private room that holds 24 people. We sit at 3 tables. It's very friendly. Nobody gets drunk.
Well...not exactly nobody....
serfty and GW McLintock like this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I'm listing myself as tentative as I will have just gotten back from a wedding in PUJ. I will do my best to find a cheap transcon. I'll take the CdP if it's okay with you pops.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 22, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
*** Wine Announcement ***

I will likely bring a Cabernet Pfeffer. Why? Because it is pretty damned tasty, and because you will be able to say that "I tasted Cabernet Pfeffer" before you die. While I've brought some fairly obscure stuff over the years, I won't outdo myself on this one, ever.

Cabernet Pfeffer is a mysterious grape variety planted in tiny quantities in California. Not much is known for sure about its origins – it is thought to be a crossing of Cabernet Sauvignon and another unknown variety (maybe Trousseau), and it is thought to have been bred in Los Altos Hills, California, in the late 19th Century, by orchardist and winemaker William Pfeffer. Whether the variety was named after him, or for its spicy characteristics ("Pfeffer" is German for pepper) is a further mystery. Only a small handful of Californian producers are known to make wine from this grape, most of them located in San Benito, a wine region at the southern end of the Santa Cruz mountains. In California, around 12 acres (4.5 hectares) are currently planted to the variety. Varietal examples of Cabernet Pfeffer exhibit bright, red-fruit characters such as cherries, a hint of bitterness and plenty of black pepper and spice. These wines are lighter than those of their parent Cabernet Sauvignon, but retain much of its famous tannic structure. To complicate matters even further, Cabernet Pfeffer is thought to be either identical to or frequently confused for Gros Verdot, an obscure variety native to Bordeaux. Localised DNA profiling has confirmed the two are identical in certain vineyards but this has yet to account for the majority of Cabernet Pfeffer plantings. Other studies have found that certain Cabernet Pfeffer vines are, in fact, the even more obscure French Mourtaou grape variety. (Source: WineSearcher)
monitor, dhammer53, jackal and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.581MM, AA Gold, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I hope to make it, but not 100% sure on my travel plans just yet and may have a conflict. Will update as soon as i have more clarity
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson, Wyndham, Chase
Mrs. GarySTL and I will attend. Our first! Although I've been eyeing this DO for a few years, the dates never worked out for us.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by GarySTL View Post
Mrs. GarySTL and I will attend. Our first! Although I've been eyeing this DO for a few years, the dates never worked out for us.
Welcome.
Old Mar 10, 22, 8:12 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Question - my husband and I were talking about how cool it would be to have a little pamphlet with names of each of the wines, a short description like Eastbay's exciting description of a Cabernet Pfeffer, and room to take some notes. We want to be better at remembering the details of some of the amazing things we end up tasting!

I'd be happy to put the doc together, and will get it printed to hand out at the do. I figure I'll get the names/descriptions printed for those who were able to provide in advance, and leave blank space so there's room to write in late additions.

What do you all think, would you find a doc valuable?
monitor and El_Chiflero like this.
Old Mar 10, 22, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerStef View Post
Question - my husband and I were talking about how cool it would be to have a little pamphlet with names of each of the wines, a short description like Eastbay's exciting description of a Cabernet Pfeffer, and room to take some notes. We want to be better at remembering the details of some of the amazing things we end up tasting!

I'd be happy to put the doc together, and will get it printed to hand out at the do. I figure I'll get the names/descriptions printed for those who were able to provide in advance, and leave blank space so there's room to write in late additions.

What do you all think, would you find a doc valuable?
In my Men's Club, the person with the idea gets to be in charge. Thanks. Great suggestion. Most of us won't post wines until June 1 or so. If you have a Cellartracker account, or even if you don't, you can join for free and create a list. CT will sort the list any way you choose.
dh
Old Mar 10, 22, 3:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
In my Men's Club, the person with the idea gets to be in charge. Thanks. Great suggestion. Most of us won't post wines until June 1 or so. If you have a Cellartracker account, or even if you don't, you can join for free and create a list. CT will sort the list any way you choose.
dh
Perfect, I now have a Cellartracker account to use!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 22, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

North Square is still quoting prices in this range. Menu choices are a little different this year. I'm guessing cost is the reason.

Save the date: Sunday June 26, 2022 at North Square in Greenwich Village.

I'll post more details soon. Estimated cost $90 - $100 per person plus whatever wine you bring. Minimum of $35. Exceptions made with permission. Over the years, several attendees chipped in and purchased one $70 bottle of wine. In theory, we can drink better; and usually do. If anyone needs to source a bottle locally, let me know. I have a cellar with inventory.

See you June 26 in NYC for a pleasant dinner, with talk of miles, points, travel, wine and etc.
Waitlist started.

dh
Old Mar 13, 22, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
So you won't have to wine alone, I'll drop in
I will also wine with you
Old Mar 16, 22, 1:20 pm

Programs: In 2022? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Save the date: Sunday June 26, 2022 at North Square in Greenwich Village.

I'll post more details soon. Estimated cost $90 - $100 per person plus whatever wine you bring. Minimum of $35. Exceptions made with permission. Over the years, several attendees chipped in and purchased one $70 bottle of wine. In theory, we can drink better; and usually do. If anyone needs to source a bottle locally, let me know. I have a cellar with inventory.

See you June 26 in NYC for a pleasant dinner, with talk of miles, points, travel, wine and etc.

dh
DH, I'd love to be put on the waitlist, if possible. Happy to pull a bottle out of storage and bring along.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 22, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
DH, I'd love to be put on the waitlist, if possible. Happy to pull a bottle out of storage and bring along.
You're confirmed!

And now, the waitlist has been started.

dh
navi_jen and GW McLintock like this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, AS MVPG 75K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Kimpton IC
My wife has expressed interest in attending, so please add a +1 for me to waiting list.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 2:44 pm

Confirmed.

Looks Like I will finally make an appearance, alongside making plans to visit some of my Master Sommelier friends in NYC in preparation for my Advanced Sommelier Exams in fall next year!

Search this Thread