Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Brooklyn Realty Tour (BRT) Saturday June 25, 2022

Brooklyn Realty Tour (BRT) Saturday June 25, 2022

Old Jun 20, 22, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Another option is the NYC Transit Museum. https://51281.blackbaudhosting.com/5...4-f2017b9fb134
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
I've been doing research on the Aquarium. It appears that not all exhibits are open. Did anyone look at the admission prices? Not sure if anyone cares. Feel free to voice your opinion.

dh
Looks like only the Reef should be closed according to this page? https://nyaquarium.com/plan-your-vis...-before-you-go Admission is high but still could be fun.

Another option is the NYC Transit Museum. https://51281.blackbaudhosting.com/5...4-f2017b9fb134

My +1 and I were planning on going to that on Friday mid day, but going as a group is also fun. I always enjoy that museum (plus we get reciprocal free admission), but I think the vote for the two of us will stay aquarium (with transit museum maybe a close second). She likes aquariums
Old Jun 21, 22, 4:55 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, QR, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Wish you all a great tour! Hope I‘ll be able to join you again in the future. Missing travelling over the pond „just“ for the tour…
squeakr likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner View Post
Wish you all a great tour! Hope Ill be able to join you again in the future. Missing travelling over the pond just for the tour
Morgen from New York. It's been a while since you last rode on BRT.

dh
Old Jun 21, 22, 8:51 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
BRT Vote

Our vote is for Brooklyn Museum. We've never been to Coney Island, so we'd probably stroll there and skip the Aquarium if that is where the votes go.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BRT Itn - rough draft

10:00 - 10:15 Hyatt Grand Central Station
11:00 - Arrive DUMBO overlooking the Manhattan skyline and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Walk the neighborhood.
11:45 - Lunch at Time Out Market https://www.timeoutmarket.com/newyork/
12:45 - walk back to the subway (F train).
1:10 - arrive Smith/9th street on the F train. It's the tallest station in NYC overlooking NYC.
1:20 - Take the next train a couple of stops to 7th Ave in Park Slope. When we had a van/bus, we walked this area. It was one of the first 'upscale' areas of Brooklyn.
1:30 - Starbucks for a bathroom break.
1:40 - Walk to Grand Army Plaza. Past riders on BRT drove past this Brooklyn landmark. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Army_Plaza
2:10 - Head back to the subway to Coney Island and the Aquarium.
2:50 - Arrive at the Aquarium.
4:00 - Hang out on the Coney Island Boardwalk - Nathan's Coney Island. Snack stop. I would go to Nathans winter spring summer fall. 12 Noon or Midnight. I'd always run into someone I knew. FYI, their fries are the best in NYC. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/18/t...-hot-dogs.html
4:45 - Subway to L&B - our 'famous' pizza stop. The square slice (Sicilian) is what to get here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26B_Spumoni_Gardens I read that slices are $4.00 these days.
5:00 - arrive L&B.
6:00 - depart L&B.

Options for the evening:
- If heading back to your hotel, it will take about 60 minutes from L&B to the Hyatt Grand Central.

- We can make our way to Bedford Ave in Williamsburg. The first time Janice and I visited the area in 2010, we were . It wasn't a place anyone went to in 1970, or 1980, or 1990.
It reminded us of the way Greenwich Village use to look in the 1960's. Not much as changed, Lots of older business' and plenty of new ones. Restaurants and bars galore. When BRT had wheels, we'd stop on the waterfront to take in the views of Manhattan at the United Nations. I'm figuring this is an option, but I expect you'll be exhausted by 7:00.

When you're ready to head back to Manhattan, the Canarsie train stops on Bedford Ave as it heads west along 14th street in Manhattan. Stops at Union Square, 6th and 8th Ave allow for a free transfer to head uptown to the east or west side. https://new.mta.info/maps/subway-line-maps/l-line Depending on where you're going in Manhattan, it's just a few stops.

That's it for now. Please wear comfortable shoes. Weather as of Tuesday morning is mid 80's and humid.

All times are subject to changes and the whim of the OP.

dh
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Looks like a great time. I may try to join at the Time Out Market (and possibly DUMBO if the timing works out), but I'll be out the door around 12:15 to head out to Long Island.

-J.
Old Jun 21, 22, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Nice itinerary. Time out Market sounds good. Online ordering so I can scope out food in advance to save time.
dhammer53 and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Canarsie
You rang, Flatlands?
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:52 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
All,

Sorry to report my wife tested positive for Covid this morning, so we are cancelling our trip to NYC. We hope to make it next year.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GarySTL View Post
All,

Sorry to report my wife tested positive for Covid this morning, so we are cancelling our trip to NYC. We hope to make it next year.
I'm really sorry to read about your wife. I was looking forward to meeting you. See you next year.

Dan
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Meeting time and place reminder...

10:00 - 10:15 Hyatt Grand Central Station - near the front desk. Since some of us haven't met, just look for a geeky group of people (all ages) hanging out talking miles and points.

If you're running late... you can meet us for lunch below.

11:00 - Arrive DUMBO overlooking the Manhattan skyline and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Walk the neighborhood.

If you want my cell, now is the time to ask. FYI, in all these years, I've never called anyone wondering what happened to you. If you're not there, I figure you took a powder (as we say in Brooklyn). Isn't that right Canarsie?

Dan
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Meeting time and place reminder...

10:00 - 10:15 Hyatt Grand Central Station - near the front desk. Since some of us haven't met, just look for a geeky group of people (all ages) hanging out talking miles and points.

If you're running late... you can meet us for lunch below.

If you want my cell, now is the time to ask. FYI, in all these years, I've never called anyone wondering what happened to you. If you're not there, I figure you took a powder (as we say in Brooklyn). Isn't that right Canarsie?

Dan
Im from Staten Island (well Coney Island till the 4th grade when the Verrazano Bridge opened and my parents bought a house in Staten Island) never heard took a powder before. And my Aunt lived in Canarsie. Guess I lived a sheltered life!

Looking forward to joining the group at a future date. Have fun, seems that dhammer53 has nice day planned!
dhammer53 and katycab like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flying into EWR tomorrow morning (unless I get a VDB enroute...or two like I did in 2019!). If anybody wants to grab lunch or a beer, give me a shout. I'll be staying near Grand Central.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.4MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Flying to LGA on Friday evening, staying at the Sheraton Tribeca! I took a Covid test yesterday, and got a negative result, after attending the Aspen Food & Wine Classic last weekend.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you at the Hyatt Grand Central Station!

Search this Thread