Reload this Page >

HOU DO Feb. 18-20, 2022

Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Attendee List / Arrival Time / Hotel

Already Have My Boots
krazykanuck / I live here / Casa de krazykanuck
Zorak (Thu/Fri: CY HOU, Sat/Sun: Magnolia)
Long Train Runnin Arriving Thurs night at like 2330. Will have to work till ~11AM Fri. CY Downtown/Convention Center leaving 2:30 Sunday. (EWR-IAD-IAH-CLE-EWR)
kirkwoodj (Sunday PM only)
HPN-HRL / Thu afternoon / JWM Galleria (Thu) - MarrMarquis (Fri) - Hyatt Regency Galleria (Sat) - Hyatt Regency HOU downtown (Sun)
DELee + Miss DELee / Thursday afternoon / FI Webster (TH) - HS Energy Corridor (FR) - H2S Energy Corridor (SAT)
Santander (Fri-Sun: Aloft Downtown)

Fence Sitting at the Alamo

No, I prefer California
mattp1987 - hopefully skiing in France. I’ll take my Ariats in solidarity
(And I do prefer and live in California but I'll visit HOU for this DO - DELee)
SFOTerry
Herb687

CURRENT SCHEDULE

Friday
3ish: meet at my place and/or at Brash until about 5-6pm. My apt is walkable from downtown if staying there and I can take 3 in my car.
Post Brash: dinner at https://www.elcharrobargrill.com/menu/, with post dinner drinks at Equal Parts Brewery

Saturday
1940 Air Terminal Museum: 10:30 (again, I'm happy to drive from my place, or make a stop downtown)
Hangar Kitchen: 11:30-12
From there ditch cars, at least mine, and brewery hop the afternoon
Dinner: La Lucha @6:30

Sunday
Meat Brunch: 11 at either Truth or Pinkertons
Sunday afternoon: happy hour at Flying Saucer to follow

Monday
Nothing really scheduled, but I didn't realize I have the day off for President's Day, so could do breakfast with folks that are still here

Print Wikipost

HOU DO Feb. 18-20, 2022

Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Herb687
Count me as possible for this DO or at least part of it.

Would love to hit Truth BBQ (#3 on the new TM BBQ ranking) for lunch Saturday. Is it like the best BBQ joints in Austin & Dallas where you need to be in line well before they open though?

Where in Houston do most people stay? Seems like a really tough city for a DO since it sprawls from the Piney Woods to the swampy mud flats, from the oil refineries to the petrochemical plants...
...From sea to swampy seas....

David
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Plenty of nice places to stay around Flying Saucer, I mean downtown...
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
Would love to hit Truth BBQ (#3 on the new TM BBQ ranking) for lunch Saturday. Is it like the best BBQ joints in Austin & Dallas where you need to be in line well before they open though?
We went to Truth last year, I really like it and am definitely not opposed to going there again. Also it's across the street from my apartment so its rather convenient. I'll try to scope out lines over the next couple weekends, but last year we just strolled up around 12 and waited in line and it was fine. I'm sure their newfound recognition will add more people and increase their already high-ish prices

Can't speak to either Autograph Bonjoy properties.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
We went to Truth last year, I really like it and am definitely not opposed to going there again. Also it's across the street from my apartment so its rather convenient. I'll try to scope out lines over the next couple weekends, but last year we just strolled up around 12 and waited in line and it was fine. I'm sure their newfound recognition will add more people and increase their already high-ish prices
Brisket inflation is real and it is ugly.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
One of the attendees went to Star for lunch last time, since the BBQ place I chose, surprisingly didn't have any good vegetarian options

It is still good, though I usually go to their other location closer to my apartment. I'll put up a tentative schedule in the next couple of weeks.
Hey, that was me! Star was excellent, even more so because we'd had a few beers the night before and then I'd gone running in the morning and hadn't eaten breakfast. We destroyed that pizza.

Sadly, I don't think I'll make it this year. I'll be in the States two weeks prior, and I'm planning to be skiing in France that weekend.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I would like to go but it all depends on omicron
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by slickvik
I would like to go but it all depends on omicron

Uh, Omicron will still be there.

David
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
According to their website, Flying Saucer is closed on Sundays.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mhnadel
uh hell no, that is just plain incorrect
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mhnadel
The Flying Saucer Pie Company is closed on Sundays. Flying Saucer, the bar, is definitely open Sunday (and their website does reflect that accurately).
kirkwoodj and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Sign me up. If nothing else, it'll be a reprieve from Chicago weather.

Booked the Aloft downtown.
krazykanuck and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

When you get the opportunity, could everybody please sort themselves into the appropriate category in the Wiki to gauge numbers.

Also I was wondering the internet today on something unrelated and discovered something that might be of interest: the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Hobby Airport (https://www.1940airterminal.org/) might make an interesting Saturday late morning activity. $5/pp admission. There is also a well reviewed restaurant right by there called Hangar Kitchen (https://www.hangarkitchen.com/menus/) that looks pretty good. We'll need a couple cars, or my car and an Uber for this depending on number of people. Curious thoughts... I've never been.

Truth is open Sunday, so we could move where it was tentatively planned on Saturday lunch to Sunday lunch.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
dang, kk, the museum looks exceptionally cool!

on the off chance that I’ll have to go to DC for work the week of 14-18, I’ll need to figure out if it’s possible to do this without using UA or WN to get there
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
When you get the opportunity, could everybody please sort themselves into the appropriate category in the Wiki to gauge numbers.
Done. And I love the category descriptions.

If I do make it, I might fly out Saturday evening depending on flight loads.

Also I was wondering the internet today on something unrelated and discovered something that might be of interest: the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Hobby Airport (https://www.1940airterminal.org/) might make an interesting Saturday late morning activity. $5/pp admission. There is also a well reviewed restaurant right by there called Hangar Kitchen (https://www.hangarkitchen.com/menus/) that looks pretty good. We'll need a couple cars, or my car and an Uber for this depending on number of people. Curious thoughts... I've never been.
Both sound like very worthwhile places to visit. I'd be up for both of them. Always love a "hundred dollar hamburger" joint even when arriving landside. I think it's cool that the Hangar Kitchen has an inflight catering business too.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:45 pm

Should be joining on Sunday at Flying Saucer. Wiki updated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.