Reload this Page >

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XIX, April 8-10, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XIX, April 8-10, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Herb687
Since bookings don't look to be materializing, can we now angle for upgrades rather than OS vouchers?

Does anyone have any interesting distillery or farm tours booked (the live cover ones look to be sold out)

I'm planning on the track Friday and Saturday (thanks to Santander's StubHub buy) but no plans other than Keeneland Fri/Sat and Merrick dinner Friday night.

I don't think we have any first-time DO participants on the list but, if we do, I still recommend an early morning visit to Keeneland for breakfast at the Track Kitchen and watching morning workouts at the track. I believe that it is still free for anyone to stroll right in and watch morning works.
This is my friend's first visit so besides the live cover we are going back to Mill Ridge, where hopefully I don't lose my keys again! It will be fun to see the foals, feed the mares, and amazing to get close to their stallion Oscar Performance.

Other plans focus on eating - have to go to Crank and Boom, as well as Spalding. Don't forget about Stella's. Probably another nice dinner someplace. I'll see if she wants to watch the morning workouts.

Might try and see the Shaker Village.

We will be in LEX from Wednesday evening until Monday afternoon.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
We didn't do any of the urban bourbon tours, we hit Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Willett and Heaven Hill. For the truly specialty stuff, go to Justin's House of Bourbon (They have a Louisville and Lexington location) and they have some truly rare stuff. One of the guys on our trip bought a bottle of Elijah Craig, Pre-fire 18 year there.
Justin's House of Bourbon is a cool place. The LEX location is at Jefferson and Main, conveniently right down the street from our traditional Sunday breakfast spot: Stella's. Fun to browse but, truth be told, I'm more likely to be a seller to Justin's as opposed to a buyer from. I may stop in to get an updated offer to buy some "rare" stuff that should absolutely not be so (i.e. Weller 12, EHT single barrel)

Originally Posted by cocobird
This is my friend's first visit so besides the live cover we are going back to Mill Ridge, where hopefully I don't lose my keys again! It will be fun to see the foals, feed the mares, and amazing to get close to their stallion Oscar Performance.

Other plans focus on eating - have to go to Crank and Boom, as well as Spalding. Don't forget about Stella's. Probably another nice dinner someplace. I'll see if she wants to watch the morning workouts.
There will definitely be a Spalding's donut or three in my plans!

What day/time do you have Mill Ridge booked? I might try to join you and your friend if it doesn't conflict with Keeneland.

Definitely suggest taking your friend by Keeneland for morning workouts one morning if she's new to LEX. Can be a quick stop on the way to somewhere else out to the west of LEX
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
We're at Mill Ridge on Thursday, April 7 for the 3:30 pm tour.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Since bookings don't look to be materializing, can we now angle for upgrades rather than OS vouchers?

Does anyone have any interesting distillery or farm tours booked (the live cover ones look to be sold out)

I'm planning on the track Friday and Saturday (thanks to Santander's StubHub buy) but no plans other than Keeneland Fri/Sat and Merrick dinner Friday night.

I don't think we have any first-time DO participants on the list but, if we do, I still recommend an early morning visit to Keeneland for breakfast at the Track Kitchen and watching morning workouts at the track. I believe that it is still free for anyone to stroll right in and watch morning works.

Did you hit the urban bourbon tours at Old Forester and Evan Williams right in downtown LOU? I haven't been to any of the downtown distilleries in a few years but thinking about a side trip over there.

I've heard rumors that the gift shops at both Old Forester and Evan Williams sell good bottles of bourbon that are very difficult, if not impossible, to find anywhere else (EW red label 12 year, for example?)

Did you notice anything worth buying that can only be found at the distillery stores?

And hopefully none of that Buffalo Trace wait in a 2-hour line just to buy liquor stuff!
I could be talked into a trip to downtown Louisville on Thursday, Monday, or Tuesday for Old Forester, Evan Williams etc., although I am likely to be in that area in October.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Shameless plug for my trip report, but this was our experience at Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Willett and Heaven Hill last week

Kentucky Bourbon Trail Tour
psusaver likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Reminder - Check Hotel Rates

Friendly public service announcement to recheck hotel rates/availability. The Marriott opened up and I was able to grab an award reservation (at least 1.4 cents per point redemption value, pre-tax, depending on what cash rate is assumed)

There are some Bonvoy hotels available on cash rates for as low as $96-$119/night but on the outskirts of town.

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I could be talked into a trip to downtown Louisville on Thursday, Monday, or Tuesday for Old Forester, Evan Williams etc., although I am likely to be in that area in October.
Maybe Monday or Tuesday? I will probably be busy Thursday studying for Fri/Sat. We should make sure all the distilleries in Louisville are open Mondays. Right now I'm planning on flying home from LEX Tuesday evening - but would still have time for a trip to Louisville and back. Flight doesn't leave until 6pm, and that's before the inevitable AA/Eagle delay.

Shameless plug for my trip report, but this was our experience at Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Willett and Heaven Hill last week

Awesome trip report. I haven't been to the "Heaven Hill Regional Bourbonport" in a while. Need to get back there sometime. Remember when Heaven Hill was the well bourbon available free in Admirals Clubs?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Awesome trip report. I haven't been to the "Heaven Hill Regional Bourbonport" in a while. Need to get back there sometime. Remember when Heaven Hill was the well bourbon available free in Admirals Clubs?
Since it was our fourth stop of the day I had had a few cocktails and when our guide asked if we had any questions I decided to ask "Why have I never heard of 90% of what you sell?"
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Since it was our fourth stop of the day I had had a few cocktails and when our guide asked if we had any questions I decided to ask "Why have I never heard of 90% of what you sell?"
Any response (that you now recall)?

David
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Any response (that you now recall)?

David
There was a noticeable pause and then she said something about how they don't distribute much outside of Kentucky
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
There was a noticeable pause and then she said something about how they don't distribute much outside of Kentucky

David
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Maybe Monday or Tuesday? I will probably be busy Thursday studying for Fri/Sat. We should make sure all the distilleries in Louisville are open Mondays. Right now I'm planning on flying home from LEX Tuesday evening - but would still have time for a trip to Louisville and back. Flight doesn't leave until 6pm, and that's before the inevitable AA/Eagle delay.
Either Monday or Tuesday works well for me; if Monday is problematic then Tuesday would be fine (although I-64 often has construction between Louisville and LEX, so if we go on Tuesday then we will probably need to leave Louisville earlier than is ideal). We can plan in more detail once we both get to the LEX area.
IIRC Heaven Hill has one bourbon (with a green label) that is supposed to be very good (per Fred Minnick) but is produced for the KY market only, with zero advertising/marketing budget (keeping the price lower than would otherwise be the case).
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:24 pm

I just wanted to add another thank you for sharing your trip report - I enjoyed it very much! A few years ago I brought a couple friends on a day-trip from LEX to Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill, and Willett; your TR brought back some fond memories...
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I have a room reserved at the Hyatt Regency for Fri, Sat, Sun nights. 2 beds.

8k per (old rate).

Anybody want it? Otherwise I can cancel in next couple days. PM.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:31 pm
GG

Um… Hello! LexPassenger and I are headed to LEX on the 6th. I’m really looking forward to meeting everybody and at least hang out a couple of evenings. Maybe Stella’s for breakfast if there’s room. Oh, and I think we’ll try to make at least one breakfast/early workout at Keeneland. We’re hotel hopping quite a bit, but spending Friday night at the Campbell House, which the last time we were there had a seriously impressive Bourbon list. Lost on me, I’m afraid. If LexPax wants to do some Bourbon thing, that’s fine. Ephemeral/West 6th/another craft brewery y’all like would be fine. And I’ll definitely be at Wise Bird a time or 2.

I’ll politely pass on a horse farm visit this time - unless someone’s interested in the Icelandic horses out towards the ‘Ville. Is that possible since toomanybooks won’t be there this year? Sorry we won’t get to meet him at our first LEX Do. Serves us right I guess for always being elsewhere when we still lived in Lexington. 140 nights/yr on the road back then…

We’ll definitely go to JoeB’s, at least once. They don’t have great taps (Kentucky Ale, oh well, and Cougar Bait which I rather like) but it’s a tradition.

Last edited by GG; Apr 3, 2022 at 8:11 pm Reason: stupid typo
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:33 pm
GG

Ok, so FT may have eated my follow-up post. To make sure the hosts know: no worries about Merrick Inn, We've got a local friend we'd already planned to have dinner with on Friday.

Last edited by GG; Apr 3, 2022 at 11:43 pm Reason: Blame Lex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.