Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 6:47 am

For those ill, get well soon. Damn covid...

Will try and get to ozfest next year in HBA.
Storyteller and rxgeek like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Storyteller
Agree with you kpc, straight to the Gold standard.
I got a PCR at a Melbourne testing site on May 28. Still no results so I'm calling today. They must be swamped. I may have mentioned this before but it is appreciated that Australia waives all covid related costs for testing and hospital ER. I was only charged about 5pc of the expected cost of my prescription. Now, if my Ritz card benefits will waive the cost of extra days in the hotel, that would be great.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgeek
......After a 3 hour wait at the Royal Melbourne Hospital we got a wonderful doctor who prescribed Paxlovid for me and made sure the pharmacy had it. The hospital waived their AUD$500+ fee d/t covid. The med was only $42.50. Aussie healthcare is very cheap when you can get it...l.
...... I may have mentioned this before but it is appreciated that Australia waives all covid related costs for testing and hospital ER. I was only charged about 5pc of the expected cost of my prescription. Now, if my Ritz card benefits will waive the cost of extra days in the hotel, that would be great.
In AU those with a medicare card (and CV19) get some/most prescriptions subsidised. I think $42.50 is the most anyone would pay out of pocket. Some people can get cheaper depending on their circumstances.
https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/home
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/health-care-card
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Australia)

Don't like you chances with free health care ~ accommodation from the hotel !

Edit
Searching in the PBS for Paxlovid brings up
https://www.pbs.gov.au/browse/medici...ting?initial=p
https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/search?te...&analyse=false
https://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/12996B

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 31, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In AU those with a medicare card (and CV19) get some/most prescriptions subsidised. I think $42.50 is the most anyone would pay out of pocket. Some people can get cheaper depending on their circumstances.
https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/home
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/health-care-card
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Australia)

Don't like you chances with free health care ~ accommodation from the hotel !

Edit
Searching in the PBS for Paxlovid brings up
https://www.pbs.gov.au/browse/medici...ting?initial=p
https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/search?te...&analyse=false
https://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/12996B
Yes, I paid $42.50 with no Medicare card.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by cocobird
I am so impressed by the Australian healthcare professionals that I have met throughout today. This morning, I was completely lost, now I feel confident that the system works and will take care of me. Even though I am not an Australian, the doctors are concerned about compassionate care for everyone.
I couldn't connect with any teledoc. After numerous tries I concluded that an Australian phone number is needed. Did you get a SIM card?
Old May 31, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
I couldn't connect with any teledoc. After numerous tries I concluded that an Australian phone number is needed. Did you get a SIM card?
No, I was able to use the hotel's landline number to obtain an appointment with a teledoc. She was somewhat helpful, but advised me that I would have to pay $1000 AUD for the Paxlovoid since I wasn't Australian. She did agree to provide me with a travel letter.

I reported my positive test to the NSW agency the same morning, and they subsequently called me in the afternoon. After reviewing my case, the doctor said he would call back. He arranged to send me the Paxlovoid, an oximeter, and a thermometer by courier to my hotel so I could monitor my health. He also said that on Tuesday morning at completion of the quarantine, he would send a travel letter by e-mail clearing me for travel, so I wouldn't have to guess when I could leave. I feel very fortunate.
QF WP, Storyteller and Antonio8069 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by cocobird
No, I was able to use the hotel's landline number to obtain an appointment with a teledoc. She was somewhat helpful, but advised me that I would have to pay $1000 AUD for the Paxlovoid since I wasn't Australian. She did agree to provide me with a travel letter.

I reported my positive test to the NSW agency the same morning, and they subsequently called me in the afternoon. After reviewing my case, the doctor said he would call back. He arranged to send me the Paxlovoid, an oximeter, and a thermometer by courier to my hotel so I could monitor my health. He also said that on Tuesday morning at completion of the quarantine, he would send a travel letter by e-mail clearing me for travel, so I wouldn't have to guess when I could leave. I feel very fortunate.
Sounds like overkill to me. And whenever someone says this is what you might pay, take it with a grain of salt. You saw what I paid.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Sounds like overkill to me. And whenever someone says this is what you might pay, take it with a grain of salt. You saw what I paid.
Yep, that's why I'm happy with the NSW agency doctor. Everything is provided without cost. Plus, he is performing follow-up calls to review my progress

In all fairness to the teledoc, she didn't think I qualified for the antivirals, when I asked. So it wasn't as if she was trying to sell me something.

Even more interesting is that when the agency doctor called, I mentioned that I had spoken with the teledoctor who believed I was not eligible for the Paxlovid. He separately reached the conclusion I needed it and was eligible. I'm going to guess that the agency doctors see a lot of Covid positive results and take a more proactive approach.

Last edited by cocobird; May 31, 2022 at 6:00 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:50 pm

I realized that I may have been unclear about why a PCR was not recommended for me. Since I had a positive RAT, been exposed to a number of people who developed Covid, and had symptoms (sore throat, exhaustion, coughing, no appetite, etc) he did not feel that additional confirmation was necessary. I also have underlying high risk factors, which is why he prescribed the Paxlovid.

Since taking the Paxlovid, my temperature and heart rate are back to normal, while my exhaustion and sore throat have disappeared. Apparently I am responding well to the treatment. I still have no interest in food, which for anyone who knows me, is highly unusual.
QF WP and Storyteller like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:06 pm

If anyone has pictures that haven't been posted, I'd love to see them. Include the Meet and Greet, too. TIA.
Storyteller likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Don’t you just hate it when all people want to talk about is their various afflictions?

However, in these circumstances, it appears prudent to do so and make a public service announcement.

I tested positive this morning here in Fiji the day before we were both flying home. All I’ve had is a cold for a couple of days. Kathy will fly tomorrow and I will fly June 9, hopefully arriving in time to attend a granddaughter’s high school graduation. Itsalongwaydown and Sue Oz have been more than helpful!

We thoroughly enjoyed Oz Fest, and we hope to attend next year! We’ll continue to make prudent choices and continue to see the world as best we can!

Last edited by Fredd; Jun 2, 2022 at 2:13 am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Fredd
Don’t you just hate it when all people want to talk about is their various afflictions?

However, in these circumstances, it appears prudent to do so and make a public service announcement.

I tested positive this morning here in Fiji the day before we were both flying home. All I’ve had is a cold for a couple of days. Kathy will fly tomorrow and I will fly June 9, hopefully arriving in time to attend a granddaughter’s high school graduation. Itsalongwaydown and Sue Oz have been more than helpful!

We thoroughly enjoyed Oz Fest, and we hope to attend next year! We’ll continue to make prudent choices and continue to see the world as best we can!
as best we can!
I was worried about the 4 of you. Good to hear no significant health issues yet. I think getting stuck in Fiji beats Australia or Los Angeles.
JohnSydney2000, Fredd and QF WP like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:07 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd

as best we can!
Apart from rxgeek, it seems all the other +ves attended the footy on Sunday in addition to Saturday's dinner I had a bit of a runny nose last night and cough but it disappeared this am. A RAT this am was negative so I could go to work. We are both due for our Day 6 PCR tomorrow as per our hospitals' protocol set by the Ministry of health
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Seeing I've been keeping close company with y'all, well, my tech stuff has, I've done a couple of 🐀 this week too!
All negative, but thought I'd report my solidarity 😁
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by kpc
Apart from rxgeek, it seems all the other +ves attended the footy on Sunday in addition to Saturday's dinner
All +ves so far attended Friday night drinks.

To Market To Market had her third RAT today (of five in seven days) and it was negative like the other two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.