Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Old May 26, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cocobird
Our hotel rooms have something in common - my room overlooks a parking garage too, which apparently is a "thing". Someone hired an artist to paint a mural. When I first arrived and looked out, I initially thought that Melbourne had a very busy and talented graffiti artist. Come to find out that the hotel was proud of the roof and featured it in a lobby video.
Actually, if you haven't discovered (or been told) about this yet, Melbourne has several busy and talented graffiti artists. At least two, perhaps three, streets in the central area are devoted to showcasing their work. Any local, or your hotel concierge, can point you at them.

Added in edit: The hotel list on the first page of this thread says you're at the Westin. One of them, AC/DC Lane, is just a few blocks east of it along Flinders Lane. Worth the short walk.
QF WP, Storyteller and cocobird like this.

Last edited by Efrem; May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
Old May 26, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
Actually, if you haven't discovered (or been told) about this yet, Melbourne has several busy and talented graffiti artists. At least two, perhaps three, streets in the central area are devoted to showcasing their work. Any local, or your hotel concierge, can point you at them.

Added in edit: The hotel list on the first page of this thread says you're at the Westin. One of them, AC/DC Lane, is just a few blocks east of it along Flinders Lane. Worth the short walk.
https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au...e-to-melbourne
https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au...-do/street-art
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:03 pm

Finally got my ducks in a row for this!

Paid for all the Saturday activities, so looking forward to meeting people again! Going to be a long Saturday, though, starting with VA306 dep BNE 0605 arr MEL 0830.

Staying at the Batman's Hill on Collins opposite Southern Cross Station.

The only flight with a reasonable fare and not dead in the morning on Sunday was VA353 dep MEL 2010 arr BNE 2220. I'm catching up with my aunt that day, but will probably go to the airport early to take a punt on an earlier flight. Otherwise, I'll be keeping QF WP company, I guess.
Bundy Bear, Fredd, QF WP and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:38 pm

#lazywebs question, but what's the mask situation in Melbourne?

Airports and aircraft is easy: wear them. I assume except for aged care facilities and hospitals (hopefully no need during this do), everywhere else is not required?
Old May 26, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
This new Hilton on Little Collins street is pretty flash, see most of you at 6pm if not before.
its about a 2km walk
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anat0l
#lazywebs question, but what's the mask situation in Melbourne?

Airports and aircraft is easy: wear them. I assume except for aged care facilities and hospitals (hopefully no need during this do), everywhere else is not required?
Supposed to used on public transport. 50% compliance at best.
Vic Govt (Reviewed 17 May 2022)-->Face masks - when to wear a face mask
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:37 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Supposed to used on public transport. 50% compliance at best.
Vic Govt (Reviewed 17 May 2022)-->Face masks - when to wear a face mask
Based on my experience 1 hour ago, about 1/3!
Old May 27, 2022, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As the sun sets over the Yarra ...

Old May 27, 2022, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I didn't use the link so I went wrong way towards Flinders st station
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:42 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
anat0l yes, I was lucky I jumped on points flights to reduce my costs for the weekend.

See you Sat night and Im going to the AFL Sunday. Well be in contact late afternoon - expecting to get to the airport ~6.30pm. Can guest you into VA Lounge if you dont have access.

Finally got my ducks in a row for this!

Paid for all the Saturday activities, so looking forward to meeting people again! Going to be a long Saturday, though, starting with VA306 dep BNE 0605 arr MEL 0830.

Staying at the Batman's Hill on Collins opposite Southern Cross Station.

The only flight with a reasonable fare and not dead in the morning on Sunday was VA353 dep MEL 2010 arr BNE 2220. I'm catching up with my aunt that day, but will probably go to the airport early to take a punt on an earlier flight. Otherwise, I'll be keeping QF WP company, I guess.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Departure view

QF WP, Storyteller, boxo and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Omg o clock wake up. It's good to be travelling again. See you all tonight.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Omg o clock wake up. It's good to be travelling again. See you all tonight.
I'm also up at OMG o'clock... but my flight has been delayed 2 hours! :-(

Might mean I'm a little bit late for the walk.

And before anyone asks, yes I asked the service desk for a re-route via SYD in order to arrive earlier in MEL, but since I'm on an award ticket they said no go (or rather the service desk had no power to do anything, only Velocity does).
Storyteller likes this.

Last edited by anat0l; May 27, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Old May 27, 2022, 2:21 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold

Might mean I'm a little bit late for the walk.
Give us a call when you get here and we will tell you where we are...I've got your number so I assume you have mine. 😀
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by kpc
Give us a call when you get here and we will tell you where we are...I've got your number so I assume you have mine. 😀
Oddly enough, I don't. I have Bundy Bear's number (assuming it has not changed). You can PM yours to me and I'll add it - thanks!

Hopefully I might make it there for the lunch stop, given it will take time after I land to take the Skybus in then hoof it across to the parks from Spencer Street.
Storyteller likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.