Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 9:43 pm

Will the OzFest contingent accept another participant so late in the process?

Planning ahead for any travel is almost impossible with everything that goes on with my job, but I'd like to be able to catch up with many of you again! Viva le voyage...

At the moment, it looks like I will only be able to make Saturday activities, as Friday I'll be too late to make dinner and not fussed about the footy on Sunday.

Just have to negotiate the cheapest possible combination of flights and accommodation that I can....
kpc, JohnSydney2000, Fredd and 3 others like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
It's time to admit that we can't make OzFest. Was hoping to do the walk but other matters are intervening.

Hopefully next year when things are more normal!

Audrey
QF WP and Storyteller like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by falconea
It's time to admit that we can't make OzFest. Was hoping to do the walk but other matters are intervening.

Hopefully next year when things are more normal!

Audrey
We’re sorry to miss seeing both of you. We’re currently in flight on FJ 811 LAX-NAN. It’s one of their A350s with impressive flat-beds and service. Our whole trip was very nearly scuttled as our AS SEA-LAX flight had rolling delays. AS got us seats on a DL flight so we may make it after all.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 25, 2022 at 3:16 pm Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
Old May 25, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Need to Finalise

There are a couple of places still available for Friday Drinks if you would still like to come.

I do need to finalise Saturday Dinner as it is close to capacity.

Saturday should be dry for the Walk.

OZFest 18 Melbourne 2022 - Buy Tickets

The weather forecast for the weekend is generally cool with day time Maximum Temperatures of 17°C (61F°)
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:30 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by penegal
Oh hai Flyertalk…

Thank you to the numerous people who have reminded me in private about this event…

Please remain calm…

Surprisingly Oz Fest 18 is exactly where I left it - in my calendar on the correct dates, who would have thought? It most certainly is not lost… that would be like the time the bus driver got stuck at the Shangri-La Cairns waiting for lowjhg, whom I believe was actually at home/work in Singapore, and therefore would not be attending the bus parked outside the hotel approx ~3112 (or ~3130?) miles away.
We won't remind you then of the time the bus and the whole of Ozfest was waiting for you in ASP .

Hoping to see you on Saturday night then
Old May 25, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Nice welcome from the Melbourne Courtyard Flagstaff and it's not even my birthday

Last edited by rxgeek; May 26, 2022 at 1:08 am
Old May 25, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
I definitely hit the lodging jackpot. Westin Melbourne gifted me wine and upgraded me to a corner spa room. Then I was just notified that in Sydney I've been given a huge grand executive one bedroom suite overlooking Hyde Park. Both listed for around AUD$900 a night. Marriott in Australia definitely treats elites well!
Fredd, QF WP, serfty and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
RE: Friday - I have bought a ticket, so @serfty isn't out of pocket... and it's also somewhat possible that I may actually attend, weather permitting.
RE: Saturday - Is there any space, or is it a sell out?

I need to confirm whether I am free or not, but I will likely make a cameo somewhere at some point over the weekend.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Post Script...

Anyone in town early may find me at the pub later.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penegal
RE: Friday - I have bought a ticket, so @serfty isn't out of pocket... and it's also somewhat possible that I may actually attend, weather permitting.
RE: Saturday - Is there any space, or is it a sell out?....
Yes, there is space Saturday - I have increased the availability but I need to finalise ASAP.

We are under cover for drinks Friday, if perhaps draughty.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Another Upgrade

Some will recall Kathy and I have previously scored some great upgrades at Oz Fest IHG properties. The streak continues.

Last night after a bracing 1km walk from the terminal, we arrived at the MEL Holiday Inn and found ourselves upgraded to a room on the top floor with a great view of parking garages. There was free water too. The very friendly front desk folks were also impressed with the IHG Mastercard I flashed, still non-existent in Oz. It brought back good memories to be treated so well as an IHG credit card Plat.

This is the most retro property we’ve stayed in since the JFK TWA Hotel in 2020, in a different - some would say more authentic- way. 😉

Onward to the Hilton Little Queen Street today and The General Assembly tonight!. 😀
Old May 26, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
This is the most retro property we’ve stayed in since the JFK TWA Hotel in 2020, in a different - some would say more authentic- way. 😉
@To Market To Market and I stayed there (it had a "Travelodge" branding back then) on the first night of our honeymoon.

It was built as part of the then "new" MEL which commenced operations in 1970.

Last edited by serfty; May 26, 2022 at 3:10 pm
Old May 26, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Fredd
Last night after a bracing 1km walk from the terminal, we arrived at the MEL Holiday Inn and found ourselves upgraded to a room on the top floor with a great view of parking garages. There was free water too.
Our hotel rooms have something in common - my room overlooks a parking garage too, which apparently is a "thing". Someone hired an artist to paint a mural. When I first arrived and looked out, I initially thought that Melbourne had a very busy and talented graffiti artist. Come to find out that the hotel was proud of the roof and featured it in a lobby video.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Crap weather in SYD this morning. On QF 12 refueling in Brisbane. Other international flights diverted too they say. Thankfully I booked in the extra time in Sydney, too bad no time for sightseeing.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy the sights of QLD
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA12
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf12

Some of the info is not up to date/accurate. Has not picked up QF landed at BNE and not SYD
https://www.sydney-airport.net/syd-arrivals-terminal-1
https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/fli...&showAll=false
Fredd, QF WP, Storyteller and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.