LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVIII, Oct 8-10, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVIII, Oct 8-10, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Sorry, a bit late to the party, but I'd like to attend on Fri/Sat. It's been too long since I've been to one of these, and it'd be nice to see some familiar faces again.

Is dinner still open for one more on Friday night?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Santander
Sorry, a bit late to the party, but I'd like to attend on Fri/Sat. It's been too long since I've been to one of these, and it'd be nice to see some familiar faces again.

Is dinner still open for one more on Friday night?
Welcome back! You're on for Friday dinner. We'll be joined by GrjApp, Governator, Herb687.
Still one spot opened since HPN-HRL kindly let me know that he is willing to let someone else go. So last call for anyone who would like to come.
Santander likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Sorry to report that I'll not be attending this time as it looks like I finally may be able to pull off a much delayed trip to Europe.

Wishing y'all a wonderful time and hope to see everyone next spring!
Governator likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GrjApp
I also booked (because why not) Mill Ridge for 3.30pm Sunday Oct 10 (no indication of nr spots left).
I just booked this as well, and it seems to be willing to let me start the process for another one so there is at least one spot left after me
GrjApp likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
My friend who co-owns Chevy Chase Inn, oldest bar in LEX and mentioned above, says they will have two different types of Pappy van Winkle and several of Weller bourbon. Pappy is the Holy Grail of bourbon.

Buy one shot, get one free at 5:30 on Wed, Fri, Sun nights. Same deal on any other liquor/beer.

Best deal around. Not far from Merrick Inn. Maybe 9-10 minute drive.
Governator and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
My friend who co-owns Chevy Chase Inn, oldest bar in LEX and mentioned above, says they will have two different types of Pappy van Winkle and several of Weller bourbon. Pappy is the Holy Grail of bourbon.

Buy one shot, get one free at 5:30 on Wed, Fri, Sun nights. Same deal on any other liquor/beer.

Best deal around. Not far from Merrick Inn. Maybe 9-10 minute drive.
Pretty sure CCI only will do buy one, get 2nd for 1/2 price on their high-end bourbon.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Pretty sure CCI only will do buy one, get 2nd for 1/2 price on their high-end bourbon.
Yeah I think that was the deal in April.

I believe a number of us are planning to be there for HH on Friday.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yeah I think that was the deal in April.

I believe a number of us are planning to be there for HH on Friday.
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Right, 1/2 price on the rare stuff.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Is there a plan for Saturday evening?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Arrived CVG last night.

This morning I visited the American Sign Museum, which was pretty neat -- definitely recommend if you are of a certain age and/or enjoy nostalgic Americana, history of communications/design, etc.

In particular this note about two Howard Johnson's items caught my eye -- the smaller piece is an original from the Towson, MD location which I visited any number of times in my youth! (the larger neon sign is from Utica, NY)

Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Starting Sunday Staples has fee-free Mastercards, up to 5x $200. I will be running out there.

2321 Sir Barton Way
Unit 140
Lexington, KY 40509
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Governator & I went out to Castle & Key earlier today; tour was very good! (Tour was given by a GGGG-Grandson of E.H. Taylor.) No G&T's on the cocktail menu, but my Old Fashioned was very tasty. Highly recommended.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Closed Sundays but I would like to propose a Thursday dinner location for those who arrive in town early: The Sage Rabbit:
https://www.thesagerabbit.com/
Do we have a time for dinner tonight?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'll steal a Woodford miniature on my AS redeye tonight and open it at the hotel in Ithaca NY tomorrow ~1730
HPN-HRL and krazykanuck like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:51 pm

Had come here leaning on getting a schnitzel...

... until I saw a Hot Brown on the menu and decided to see what their take was like

Originally ordered an Oktoberfest* but the bartender mentioned that they had a few select beers on the happy hour discount list so I went with a dunkel instead. He brought a taste of the Oktoberfest anyway

*I overheard the obviously German tourists (convention/corporate) a few seats down remarking to their hosts that in any case what we call Oktoberfest beer in the US bears little resemblance to the German version

Pretty solid dish, albeit a bit small. Don't tell my cardiologist...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.