Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sorry to see you go. Violist joins our other dear departed friends

Sorry to see you go. Violist joins our other dear departed friends

Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I first met Michael at one of the first SINDO's. It has been many years since I was active on FT ( when I signed on today it said my last sign in was Feb 16); but Michael and I stayed friends. He and Pat ( and his friend Bill) would come to spring training every year and we would get together. I could always count that he bring some incredible bottle of liquor to go with the steaks that my DH was grilling and enjoy that after a great time at the ball park

On one of our SINDO runs I decided to take an Ambien on the return. Michael and I were seated next to each in the front of E+ ( upgrades failed on that leg - sigh) and apparently I fell asleep with my fork halfway in my mouth. Now most people would take a picture of that to have to make fun of you - but not Michael; he just gently removed the fork from my mouth.

I was so hoping to see him for Spring training this year, but he won't be making it. May his memory be a blessing to Pat and his family
mjm, l etoile, airoli and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
RIP Michael. I only met him twice at SIN Do's, here is a picture of him and our table from a couple of years ago. It was my good fortune to
be seated next to him and get to know each other.

Will miss him , met Michael at SIN DOs and was hoping he & more could have met up on our hybrid SIN DO Zoom this year at FS .. Perhaps that is why I hung out at FS for hours yesterday .. like 3 to about 10 pm .

So glad we shared that last order of Hainanese pork chop at the newly opened VioletOon above ☝🏻
Take special care Lili & family during this time of grief , numerous of your FTer friends are with you in spirit 🙏🏻

RIP Michael , till we meet again yonder .. keep soaring in Heaven - wonder what the thermals are like 🙏🏻

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 23, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
A sad passing indeed. I had the distinct pleasure of spending time with him on opposite ends of the earth, SIN DO and Nuremburg. A kinder, gentler soul you could not imagine. God bless him.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I only met him once at a Soup DO (photos here), but he certainly made an impression. He will definitely be missed. I am very glad to have met him.

-J.
dhammer53 and YEGcited like this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Feb 23, 2021 at 9:46 pm
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's really sad to hear. I only attended a few dos, but I do remember meeting him in both San Francisco and Singapore.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Wow, so sorry to hear of this. One of many people who always made time to chat with Mrs. Rip & I at various DOs. Fabulous story teller. RIP.
YEGcited likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Heartbreaking. 🕊

Jim and Michael, SZG Mozart DO 2008
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I have a lot of FT photos on my old computer, though I found this one of Michael from the Dutch Harbor DO in 2015 on my SmugMug. One of the best DO's I've attended and it was such a joy to have him on the trip with us. No matter if it was a month or a year since I last saw him, Michael was so much fun to chat with and to hear of his adventures around the world. I will miss being able to connect with him at BRT (I think BRT '19 was the last time I saw him) and other DOs around the world.

Must have been me taking the photo. Good times!
JohnSydney2000 and jackal like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
This is very sad news. It is clear from previous posts the positive impressions Michael made on FTers and its no different for me. Met him at a number of SIN (and on one occasion, KUL) DOs and he was unfailingly polite, friendly, and very knowledgeable without any pretensions - in short, great company. I shall miss his company at future DOs. May he RIP.
dhammer53 and Storyteller like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Very sad to hear this, just saw it on Facebook. He was always such a great person, I thoroughly enjoyed our conversations at BRTs and the one SIN DO I’ve been able to attend. I’ll miss seeing him. RIP.
dhammer53, YEGcited and boxo like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Is there a FlyerTalk on Facebook where this was announced?

I went to the regular flyer talk page and didnt see anything.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Kathy and I met Michael at a Do and subsequently bumped into him twice in airports, once in a DEN club and once while boarding ORY-EWR, after which we became Facebook friends as well.

We had music in common, and once I confirmed he was a violist and he learned I had been a band teacher who played clarinet, he hummed the first few bars of a Brahms sonata written for clarinet and alternatively for viola, a little musician joke.

Were glad we met Michael and we mourn his passing.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

BRT 2015
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by squeakr
I went to the regular flyer talk page and didnt see anything.
Lili put it up on her FB page.
squeakr and SEA777GUY like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So sorry to hear this. There aren't many people in life where you can honestly say you've enjoyed sharing hundreds of bottles of wine, with good conversation.
mjm, monitor, dhammer53 and 4 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.