Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sorry to see you go. Violist joins our other dear departed friends

Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Many of us who have met Michael aka violist at DOs throughout the world will miss him.
RIP.

Rest in paradise to the very first Flyertalker I met and to my friend
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Very sad news indeed. A gentleman, an artist and a treat on FT wine tastings as he had a great palate. RIP Violist, we will miss you.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Sad news to hear but happy to have met and wined & dined with Michael at a few NYC Wine Do's in years past. RIP.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I always dread getting notifications for this thread. This one is even sadder . RIP *violist*. I always enjoyed chatting with him at the various DOs we attended throughout the years.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Feb 23, 2021 at 9:13 am
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
R.I.P. Violist. You will be missed. These are the earliest photos I could find of Michael from szg's Rolleyes Do in HNL October 2009. I think this was the first time I met wijomas in the flesh too.

Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
He was one of the people I always looked forward to seeing at SIN DO every year. Such a very nice guy.
FlyerEC and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Michael was a good friend to me. We always had a great time, whatever and wherever we were. He taught me a lot about good wine and great food. He will be missed. He and Pat introduced me to many dishes during our travels. I especially remember going to a restaurant in Berlin where they taught me about Schweinshaxe (German Pork Knuckle). Delicious!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Franny and I are grieving over the loss of a good friend. As I wrote to lili on Saturday as he was failing, we will miss him and his calm wisdom. He knew so much about food, wine, music, and life but only made simple, matter of fact comments, never trying to show off his vast store of knowledge.

Two unique occasions spring to mind when I think of him, one typical and one revealing. The first was at lunch in Singapore when we learned from him the art of the soup dumpling. The other was when, on the road between Teller and Nome, he was on his back under the van along with BOB W, attempting to put a wheel on the hub hat did not seem to fit (it did not). As that was happening, I kept wondering what his cardiologist would have said if he had seen Michael hefting that spare wheel into position. But it was something that needed to be fixed and he was darn well going to pitch in and help.

There are many other memories too numerous to detail but we can only repeat that he will be sorely missed. RIP Michael.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Michael was one of my earliest FT acquaintances, via WineDOs, SMD2, BerlinDO, and one or two Nurenburg DOs. He was always a font of knowledge on food/wine/travel/etc. One of my favorite quotes from him was (paraphrased, as I don't remember the exact words) "If you can survive transiting at FRA, you can survive anything".

RIP Michael - you will be missed. I will be opening a bottle of FMA tonight in your honor.
dhammer53 and mnmag like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:26 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
As I told Michael over the weekend, he was among the most fascinating and eccentric (in the best way possible) people I have ever known. I dont remember how I met Michael, he was one of those people who transcended FT and became a dear friend. I got to know him better when my son went to college in MA. Id go back frequently and, if Michael was in town, wed get together for wine or dinner and his engaging stories and conversations.

He and my son shared some specific music interests - subjects that I couldnt participate in or even much understand, but I loved listening to their conversations, and my son loved Michaels knowledge. Michael was so sharp, and with a great sense of humor (I found myself chuckling as I reread some of his more recent emails.) . Michael designed his own major at Harvard. 13th Century lit, as I recall. Id be surprised if he wasnt alone in that. Might sound pretentious, but Michael more laughed about the obscurity.

Squeakr mentioned Michael saying he cared not so much about dying or living, but about continuing to do what he enjoyed. I looked back over his recent emails and that comment made more sense to me. The latest health intervention was something to deal with so he could get out and travel, wine and dine.

As others note, Michael was a truly good guy. I could always count on his smile, kindness and easy-going temperament.
My family and I valued our time with Michael and his friendship. He greatly enriched our lives, and we will miss him. My sympathies to Pat.
Spiff, tom911, dhammer53 and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Rest in peace Michael. I have very fond memories of time spent with you.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Many of us who have met Michael aka violist at DOs throughout the world will miss him.
RIP.

We met Michael at a Do and subsequently bumped into him twice at airports at home and abroad.

He was a kind man with a great sense of humor and we will miss him.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.665MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Always enjoyed his friendly company and conversation at WineDo and SoupDo every June. RIP Michael
Eastbay1K and dhammer53 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have a lot of FT photos on my old computer, though I found this one of Michael from the Dutch Harbor DO in 2015 on my SmugMug. One of the best DO's I've attended and it was such a joy to have him on the trip with us. No matter if it was a month or a year since I last saw him, Michael was so much fun to chat with and to hear of his adventures around the world. I will miss being able to connect with him at BRT (I think BRT '19 was the last time I saw him) and other DOs around the world.

Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is an absolute blow. He was without a doubt one of the nicest and most genuinely kind people I've ever met in my life. It was a delight to show up in New York for a DO and find him there. I will truly miss him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.