LAX Meetup: Saturday, September 5th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
LAX Meetup: Saturday, September 5th, 2020

(Poking around the CommunityBuzz, since there's not a standing LAX meetup thread, creating a new standalone one...)

For FlyerTalkers in and around LAX and the local Southern California region as well as anyone potentially travelling into LAX on Saturday, September 5th, 2020, I'm hosting a meetup... Zorak dropped me a text this day indicating his arrival that evening and wanted to set up an opportunity for folks who will be around to socialize in a CV-19 respectful manner while enjoying a repast of some sort.

Given the challenges the state of California has placed on indoor dining, wanted to open up the thread to request recommendations of places potentially "nearby" the former Mines Field that could provide suitable social distanced seating, good food and adult type beverages.

I'd note that dineLA will be going on that week and there are a number of restaurants showing availability for tables of 4 around 7:30 PM on OpenTable (tried 8 persons and most places show nothing...). Also, there are places that are on the Eater LA list(s) posted by TWA884 in Where to Eat Around LAX as well as options for holders of credit cards for programs covered by iDine/Rewards Network.

So, as a tentative start time of 7:30 PM, where might LAX-type FlyerTalkers interested in getting together on Labor Day weekend's Saturday evening to go to?

David
Zorak and DCAhome like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
While I can't make it for this event, if this does become a recurring event and there's one in October (maybe the 4th or the 5th), there's a chance I could make plans around it

-J.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Interesting, I should know my availability early next week. Thanks DELee for setting this up.

Update: I’m 50-50 will be able to confirm on Wednesday space permitting

Thanks for the history lesson as well! I had to look up Mines Field (never knew):

http://www.militarymuseum.org/MinesField.html

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 30, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, investigating the three sources mentioned earlier (dineLA, Where to Eat Around LAX, iDine) and setting the search to constrain to:
  • around/near LAX
  • open until at least 9 pm
  • appearing (with web searches) having some sort of on-site dining
I get the following possible options for Saturday, September 5th:

From dineLA:

Code:
Restaurant				Neighborhood		Cuisine		Lunch	Dinner
---------------------------------------+-----------------------+---------------+-------+------
Bacari PDR				Playa del Rey		Mediterranean	$20	$65+
Costa Manhattan Beach			Manhattan Beach		Californian	$20	$45
Daily Grill - Century Blvd.		Westchester		American	$25	$45
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar	El Segundo		Steakhouse	<nl>	$55
Jame Enoteca				El Segundo		Italian		$20	$45
Melody Bar & Grill			Westchester		American	$15	$25
Paul Martin's American Grill		El Segundo		American	<nl>	$35
Rock'n Fish - Manhattan Beach		Manhattan Beach		Seafood		$25	$45
Sausal					El Segundo		Mexican		$15	$25
Sloopy's Beach Cafe			Manhattan Beach		American	$15	$35
Thai Dishes - Manhattan Beach		Manhattan Beach		Thai		$35	<nd>
The Source Cafe Manhattan Beach		Manhattan Beach		American	$35	$45
The Strand House			Manhattan Beach		American (new)	$30	$55
Zinc @ Shade				Manhattan Beach		American (new)	$20	$35
Note that for some of these dineLA restaurants, OpenTable is already showing non-table availability at 7:30 pm +/- 2 hours.

From Where to Eat Around LAX (which is 2019 and 2018 EaterLA maps + a few more suggestions):
2019 EaterLA Eat Around LAX List:
Code:
Playa Provisions
Coni'Seafood
Grimaldi's Pizzeria
In-N-Out Burger
Cinco
Woody's Bar-B-Que
Jame Enoteca
2018+Where to Eat Around LAX thread:
Code:
Alejo's Presto Trattoria Italian Restaurant
Ramen Joint
Kanpai Sushi

From iDine:
Code:
Kanpai Japanese Sushi Bar & Grill
Casa Modena
Standard Station(?)
Brewport Tap House
The Tavern On Main
Grimaldi's Pizzeria
If there are other restaurants folks want to suggest, please post.

David
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
DELee Seems like tin roof bistro in Manhattan Beach is accepting reservations for their patio on September 5 at 7:30 PM and 7:45 PM up to a party of six

It’s actually a nice place: https://www.simmsrestaurantstogo.com/tin-roof-bistro
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I probably can't make it, but used to spend a bit of time down there. Petro's isn't on any of the lists but is Greek/Cal Cuisine and has always had a big patio area. I looked at their site and it's not clear if they're doing any dine-in or not.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I probably can't make it, but used to spend a bit of time down there. Petro's isn't on any of the lists but is Greek/Cal Cuisine and has always had a big patio area. I looked at their site and it's not clear if they're doing any dine-in or not.
Is the Grill by Petros on Douglas St. in El Segundo or the Petros on Manhattan Beach Blvd in MB?

Edit: Ah just noticed the link that's to the Petros on MB Blvd. Google shows it open for dine in.

David
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Is the Grill by Petros on Douglas St. in El Segundo or the Petros on Manhattan Beach Blvd in MB?

David
The one I was referring to is the one on MB Blvd in MB. It's not really on MB Blvd though - it's in the little courtyard of the mall at MB between Morningside and Valley, just off of where they do the farmers market. They have a big patio that faces into the courtyard.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also, FWIW, just called Standard Station directly - they confirmed that they have outdoor first-come first-grabbed table seating.

David
Old Aug 30, 2020, 10:00 pm

The Gundo has lots of places with outdoor seating. On Richmond Avenue, they have closed down the street and the slice and pint has seating, second city bistro, Deluca and the Richmond bar and Grill.. around the corner the Brewport has outdoor seating as well .. all minutes walking from the standard
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK - just made a reservation for *4* for 7:30 pm on Saturday at Sausal on the patio.

I figured that we could take advantage of both dineLA and El Segundo as well as have options before/after for folks who want to taste and imbibe around downtown El Segundo.

Add your name to the wiki - look forward to seeing everyone there!

David

p.s. Will increase the reservation if the number confirmed goes above 4 or will rely on others who want to reserve directly

p.p.s. Also wanted to note that Tin Roof Bistro is only allowing takeout for dineLA and decided against doing battle for (paid) parking in downtown Manhattan Beach on Labor Day Weekend Saturday evening.
Zorak likes this.

Last edited by DELee; Sep 1, 2020 at 12:23 am
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by chrisl137
The one I was referring to is the one on MB Blvd in MB. It's not really on MB Blvd though - it's in the little courtyard of the mall at MB between Morningside and Valley, just off of where they do the farmers market. They have a big patio that faces into the courtyard.
I used to live in Manhattan Beach & Petros was one of my favorite restaurants! Had a FT Do there one time.

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:02 pm

DELee Sorry that I won’t be able to join this time as my plans for the weekend confirmed. Enjoy your dinner at Sausal, I’m definitely looking forward to the next DO..
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
(Poking around the CommunityBuzz, since there's not a standing LAX meetup thread, creating a new standalone one...)

For FlyerTalkers in and around LAX and the local Southern California region as well as anyone potentially travelling into LAX on Saturday, September 5th, 2020, I'm hosting a meetup... Zorak dropped me a text this day indicating his arrival that evening and wanted to set up an opportunity for folks who will be around to socialize in a CV-19 respectful manner while enjoying a repast of some sort.

Given the challenges the state of California has placed on indoor dining, wanted to open up the thread to request recommendations of places potentially "nearby" the former Mines Field that could provide suitable social distanced seating, good food and adult type beverages.

I'd note that dineLA will be going on that week and there are a number of restaurants showing availability for tables of 4 around 7:30 PM on OpenTable (tried 8 persons and most places show nothing...). Also, there are places that are on the Eater LA list(s) posted by TWA884 in Where to Eat Around LAX as well as options for holders of credit cards for programs covered by iDine/Rewards Network.

So, as a tentative start time of 7:30 PM, where might LAX-type FlyerTalkers interested in getting together on Labor Day weekend's Saturday evening to go to?

David
David -- thanks for coordinating. It was nice meeting and I enjoyed dinner and the conversation!

Greg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.