FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1992454-off-we-go-nagoya-japan-do-8-10-12-april-2020-postponed.html)

SQ421 Oct 23, 2019 4:25 am

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

After announcing Japan Do #7 just over a year out in April 2018, the tide turned, and this might be the latest a Japan Do has been announced!

Fear not, the wait is over. Japan Do #8 heads to Nagoya - a city significantly closer to Tokyo, and even closer to Kyoto (37 minutes - almost commuting distance!) - where a Park Hyatt is set to open next week.

With over two million inhabitants, Nagoya (名古屋) is Japan's fourth most populated city. Nagoya developed as the castle town of the Owari, one of the three branches of the ruling Tokugawa family during the Edo Period. Much of the city and most of its historic buildings were destroyed in the air raids of 1945 including Nagoya Castle dating back to the 17th century.

Nagoya is 1 hour 37 minutes to 2 hours 4 minutes by the Shinkansen from Tokyo and 34-37 minutes from Kyoto. Chubu Centrair International Airport (NGO) is about 48km south of Nagoya and has direct flights from Frankfurt, Helsinki, Detroit, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Manila, Taipei, and several cities in China and South Korea, as well as a number of Japanese cities including Tokyo. For the mattress runners, and hotel point redeemers, Hilton, Sparriott, and IHG are all represented.

The Do will follow the usual pattern of Pre-Drinks / Day Trip / Main Dinner / Lazy Sunday, with a post-do yet to be proposed (but I'm sure the interpred ones amongs us will make recommendations ranging from Onsens to DMZ!)

krazykanuck mentioned Bigfoot is a guaranteed starter for Japan Do 2020, so it already promises to be a party!

SQ421 Oct 23, 2019 4:27 am

Reserved for Do Information

NewbieRunner Oct 23, 2019 4:28 am

[PROVISIONAL] LIST OF EVENTS

Thursday 9 April 7pm~
Meet & Greet Drinks for those already in town

Friday 10 April
Tour of Nagoya
Do Dinner

Saturday 11 April
Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)

Sunday 12 April
Hiking in Kiso Valley: Magome - Tsumago Trail (Post 44)

Monday-Tuesday 13-14 April
Post-Do trip to Gero Onsen

SQ421 Oct 23, 2019 4:28 am

Reserved for Attendees

kpc Oct 23, 2019 6:06 am

Finally... ;) Going to have to miss this one as my turn to work next Easter but will follow the fun with envy...will be back for Japan Do #9 :)

wysiwyg Oct 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Almost certain I will attend this year. Now to get formal approval from work and start looking at flights and hotels :)

kpc Oct 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 31657892)
[PROVISIONAL] LIST OF EVENTS

Monday-Tuesday 13-14 April
Post-Do trip to Gero Onsen and Takayama or Shirakawago

very sad we will miss this :(

elliott44k Oct 23, 2019 10:14 pm

Will definitely try to make it this year. I'm not currently booked for any performances, but I have to give that first priority for a few more months. Hopefully I can make at least part of it!

restlessinRNO Oct 24, 2019 1:13 am

I have attended the last several Japan Dos and enjoyed them all. Actually, after the OKA Do, we flew to Nagoya for a few days, visited Nagoya Castle and stayed at the Hilton Hotel, which has a great location. Sadly we will need to miss Japan Do #8 , but hope to attend again in the future. :)

nme7 Oct 24, 2019 3:23 am

I'm coming just to see Bigfoot.

kirkwoodj Oct 24, 2019 6:42 am

Not looking likely. Fares and award availability are both very poor. Will keep checking, but otherwise have fun!

Bundy Bear Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Now that Virgin Australia has received slots at Haneda airport this might be possible.
Now I need to work out whether I can make this work.

beckoa Oct 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Have flights reserved on JL F and SQ J into TYO.. not sure about time off yet... marginal odds (the same I give each year).

Maybe I can snag CX? :D

keitherson Oct 30, 2019 4:35 am

The Dreamliner museum Seattle exhibit thing at the airport is a MUST for this DO!!

krazykanuck Oct 30, 2019 9:50 pm

Those of us that attended in OKA 2 years ago may find this of note, a devastating fire at Shuri Castle. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-heritage-site