FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1992454-off-we-go-nagoya-japan-do-8-10-12-april-2020-postponed.html)

NewbieRunner Mar 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by wysiwyg (Post 32166064)
Hard to believe the DO is now only month away :)
Looking forward to a Costco run in Nagoya. I think there’s one close to the airport.

Indeed. It looks very close to the airport.
https://www.costco.co.jp/store-finder/Chubu%20Airport

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 32166032)
Soo... finally caught back up on this thread. Still have tickets confirmed to NGO from TYO and was waiting for some space to open on the return to confirm. Didn't realize the post do has been termed it seems.

Will keep an eye here- want to go as this is the annual highlight of my spring travel to see how things evolve. Thanks!

I’ve done a bit of research into the possibility of a post-do but for a variety of reasons I’ve reached the conclusion it might not be feasible this year. Although one of the oldest onsens in Japan and within easy reach of Nagoya, Gero Onsen does not seem like a very attractive or interesting place to visit unlike Kurosawa Onsen or Noboribetsu Onsen we visited in the past. We’ll try and find somewhere more attractive next year but in the meantime a mini post-do is a possibility on 13-14 April in Tokyo. From Tokyo I plan to go to Shirahone Onsen for a couple of nights (15th-16th) if anyone is still around and interested.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6042.html

beckoa Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 32166500)

I seem to recall that when investigating last year :D

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 32166500)
I’ve done a bit of research into the possibility of a post-do but for a variety of reasons I’ve reached the conclusion it might not be feasible this year. Although one of the oldest onsens in Japan and within easy reach of Nagoya, Gero Onsen does not seem like a very attractive or interesting place to visit unlike Kurosawa Onsen or Noboribetsu Onsen we visited in the past. We’ll try and find somewhere more attractive next year but in the meantime a mini post-do is a possibility on 13-14 April in Tokyo. From Tokyo I plan to go to Shirahone Onsen for a couple of nights (15th-16th) if anyone is still around and interested.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6042.html

There is an epic amount of research that is always put into these comprehensive do"s ^

whkento Mar 11, 2020 9:21 pm

Yes, Costco is right next to the airport. Just be sure when driving from the airport to take the Rinku exit -- don't enter the expressway.

By the way, are folks planning on renting cars while here? Just curious, since you're talking about going to Costco.

nomadic.relief Mar 11, 2020 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by whkento (Post 32172052)
Yes, Costco is right next to the airport. Just be sure when driving from the airport to take the Rinku exit -- don't enter the expressway.

By the way, are folks planning on renting cars while here? Just curious, since you're talking about going to Costco.

Oh you need to experience one of these excursions!! No rental car, public transit! :) And sometimes the kindness of strangers. ;)

whkento Mar 11, 2020 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 32172064)
Oh you need to experience one of these excursions!! No rental car, public transit! :) And sometimes the kindness of strangers. ;)

So folks are planning on taking a short run on a local train to Costco, buy whatever, then get back on the local train into Nagoya -- with luggage? :confused:
I am really excited about meeting everybody who's coming to Nagoya. I expect a lot of very interesting people to show up. And, once again, if I can be of assistance, please ask. :)

nomadic.relief Mar 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by whkento (Post 32172131)
So folks are planning on taking a short run on a local train to Costco, buy whatever, then get back on the local train into Nagoya -- with luggage? :confused:

That sounds about exactly right! Quite possibly multiple pieces of luggage, full of things from Costco. I understand how this might be confusing, but it's sort of a ritual now. ;)

whkento Mar 12, 2020 3:52 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 32172192)
That sounds about exactly right! Quite possibly multiple pieces of luggage, full of things from Costco. I understand how this might be confusing, but it's sort of a ritual now. ;)

I see. Interesting. :D

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 12, 2020 5:17 am

I'm also down for Costco.

Sykes Mar 12, 2020 10:45 am

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to call off my trip this year. I hope everyone that goes has a great time!

Arcanum Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm

I was really hoping to be a last-minute addition since I haven't made it to a Japan Do since Osaka in 2016. Unfortunately, we were told this morning that anyone travelling to a coronavirus-affected country will have a mandatory unpaid 14-day quarantine when they get back. It's a real shame because the award space to Japan is phenomenal right now!

Have a great time and stay safe!

keitherson Mar 13, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm changing from confirmed to tentative, unfortunately. A ton of my flights have had cancellations/changes, including what I was intending to fly to get to Japan, and I can't even get through to the providers/airlines at the moment.

BigRedBears Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm

While I always buy tickets at the last moment and it might still change, this looks to be the first DO since 2015 I will end up skipping.

timid_trnchcoat Mar 13, 2020 7:53 pm

I've cancelled my trip as of earlier this week.

keitherson Mar 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears (Post 32180923)
While I always buy tickets at the last moment and it might still change, this looks to be the first DO since 2015 I will end up skipping.

booooooooooo!

I might be able to rejig my reservations around to be able to attend :)

angra Mar 14, 2020 8:51 pm

I, too, am officially out. Hopefully next year! It's been a while since I was able to attend.