Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Japan Do #6 - Naha (Okinawa) - March 29-31, 2018

Welcome drinks at Dojo Bar

in search of a bar for post-welcome drinks and food

At Tomari Fish Market

Do dinner entertainment

Shuri Castle - sadly the main buildings of Shuri Castle were destroyed by fire in the night of 31 October 2019.
nomadic.relief and nme7 like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 16, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime

I'm still trying to understand this. What do you think the message is? Watch out for mutant turtles dropping 'gifts'?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

It’s a bird !!!
kirkwoodj and nme7 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

It’s a bird !!!
Or..."Aw, crap - it's a bird!" speakth kirkwoodj

David
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Cool Japan Do 2 Tokyo - Yokohama (2014)

I posted eighteen pictures from Japan Do 2 Tokyo - Yokohama (2014) in that thread.
Here are another ten not previously presented. This was the jaunt I had previously booked to Japan which just happened to include the days of the Do.
I'll post images of other years' Japan Do s in separate posts.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Cool Japan Do 4 - Osaka (2016)

It appears I never got around to posting images of Japan Do 4 - Osaka (2016). Oops.
To correct that error of omission, here are twenty images I lensed. I include some pictures of non-Do activity I undertook in Osaka. (But no train photos. Those are for another forum.)
Considering I had never been to Osaka, I did very well on multiple aspects. I did not miss any crucial trains, and I never got so lost that I needed outside assistance. Having the laptop computer was a sufficient substitute for a mobile telephone.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:34 pm

Lightbulb Japan Do 5 - Tokyo (2017)

Getting to Japan Do 5 - Tokyo 2017.
I have fifty-one images in this response. Some of them had been uploaded to another forum [not referred into FlyerTalk], but that image host went offline. So this includes previously released photographs.
I have also included some photographs not directly connected to the Do, but I feel are worth viewing. I'll attempt to explain what is depicted in those images. {I am composing this reply off-line, because FlyerTalk sometimes tries to eat and swallow my text when I preview it. }

On Wednesday morning, I met some of our FT Do'ers at the Kirin Brwy.

When we finished, I bid them 'until then' and headed for Yokohama to change more dollars to yen.

This is the Daikokuya exchange shop close to the Yokohama trains station - out the west northwest exit on the 2nd floor.

If this was North America, someone would have called for this statue to be removed.

Of course I was going to visit Thrash Zone.

For lunch on Thursday, I went to this ramen shack fairly well known in Tokyo (2-chōme-10-8 Kajichō, Chiyoda-ku): . This is its ramen shack. Its tsukemen shack is adjacent and separate.

This is the only photograph I got during opening drinks Thursday evening in Akasaka. The rest of the evening was chatting with other Do'ers. My laptop computer did not come out this night.

Here comes a bunch of photographs taken Friday morning on our tour of Yanaka and Sendagi.

Here was the only slightly despairing incident of our tour. While I was consuming tea at this stand, the group wandered away without notifying me. Thankfully, I had a paper map and knew where we were heading.

I loved the cat neighborhood.

I shopped in Ueno that afternoon. From there I migrated to Shinjuku. I put myself at the Shinjuku hotel (Which one was it?) where we were grouping for the Official Do Dinner. There was time for one expensive beer.

Here are my photographs of the dinner.

wysiwyg likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:42 am

Hokkai-Do, the Do formerly known as Japan-Do #7, 19-21 April 2019

Former Sapporo Court of Appeals building

Ōkurayama Ski Jump Stadium

At the Historical Village of Hokkaidō

A day trip to Otaru

A shopping expedition
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:22 am

Post-Do Trip to Noboribetsu Onsen, 22-23 April 2019

Ōyunuma, Noboribetsu Onsen

Ōyunuma Brook Natural Footbath

Blue Demon

Red Demon

Dinner at Ryotei Hanayura, Noboribetsu Onsen
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Talking

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Whose lunch was this?
😂
I think mine
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I think mine
Are you sure? I thought you had more than that!
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 am

Like this?

greendx likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:56 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
At this stage, it does not look like the Australian government will let us depart Australia for a very long time - until there is an effective vaccine! So even though I have Easter 2021 off work, I very much doubt we will be making an appearance in Nagoya next Easter if Japan Do 8 takes place!

Last edited by kpc; Oct 28, 2020 at 3:12 am
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by kpc
At this stage, it does not look like the Australian government will let us depart Australia for a very long time - until there is an effective vaccine! So even though I have Easter 2021 off work, I very much doubt we will be making an appearance in Nagoya next Easter if Japan Do 8 takes place!
There are some hints that Japan will begin to open to tourists in March, but I think as we see virus numbers get worse over the winter that may be, regrettably, delayed.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kpc
I am currently in Thailand. Anyone can freely depart Thailand, but entry (and re-entry) is restricted, requiring considerable paperwork, expense, Certificate of Entry, Covid-19 tests, 14 day quarantine in a government approved hotel at your expense, ... So sadly it is difficult to consider a Japan trip at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.