Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:36 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Hard to believe the DO is now only month away
Looking forward to a Costco run in Nagoya. I think there’s one close to the airport.
Indeed. It looks very close to the airport.
https://www.costco.co.jp/store-finder/Chubu%20Airport

Originally Posted by beckoa
Soo... finally caught back up on this thread. Still have tickets confirmed to NGO from TYO and was waiting for some space to open on the return to confirm. Didn't realize the post do has been termed it seems.

Will keep an eye here- want to go as this is the annual highlight of my spring travel to see how things evolve. Thanks!
I’ve done a bit of research into the possibility of a post-do but for a variety of reasons I’ve reached the conclusion it might not be feasible this year. Although one of the oldest onsens in Japan and within easy reach of Nagoya, Gero Onsen does not seem like a very attractive or interesting place to visit unlike Kurosawa Onsen or Noboribetsu Onsen we visited in the past. We’ll try and find somewhere more attractive next year but in the meantime a mini post-do is a possibility on 13-14 April in Tokyo. From Tokyo I plan to go to Shirahone Onsen for a couple of nights (15th-16th) if anyone is still around and interested.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6042.html
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I seem to recall that when investigating last year

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I’ve done a bit of research into the possibility of a post-do but for a variety of reasons I’ve reached the conclusion it might not be feasible this year. Although one of the oldest onsens in Japan and within easy reach of Nagoya, Gero Onsen does not seem like a very attractive or interesting place to visit unlike Kurosawa Onsen or Noboribetsu Onsen we visited in the past. We’ll try and find somewhere more attractive next year but in the meantime a mini post-do is a possibility on 13-14 April in Tokyo. From Tokyo I plan to go to Shirahone Onsen for a couple of nights (15th-16th) if anyone is still around and interested.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6042.html
There is an epic amount of research that is always put into these comprehensive do"s ^

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 12, 2020 at 12:45 am Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
Yes, Costco is right next to the airport. Just be sure when driving from the airport to take the Rinku exit -- don't enter the expressway.

By the way, are folks planning on renting cars while here? Just curious, since you're talking about going to Costco.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by whkento
Yes, Costco is right next to the airport. Just be sure when driving from the airport to take the Rinku exit -- don't enter the expressway.

By the way, are folks planning on renting cars while here? Just curious, since you're talking about going to Costco.
Oh you need to experience one of these excursions!! No rental car, public transit! And sometimes the kindness of strangers.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Oh you need to experience one of these excursions!! No rental car, public transit! And sometimes the kindness of strangers.
So folks are planning on taking a short run on a local train to Costco, buy whatever, then get back on the local train into Nagoya -- with luggage?
I am really excited about meeting everybody who's coming to Nagoya. I expect a lot of very interesting people to show up. And, once again, if I can be of assistance, please ask.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by whkento
So folks are planning on taking a short run on a local train to Costco, buy whatever, then get back on the local train into Nagoya -- with luggage?
That sounds about exactly right! Quite possibly multiple pieces of luggage, full of things from Costco. I understand how this might be confusing, but it's sort of a ritual now.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
That sounds about exactly right! Quite possibly multiple pieces of luggage, full of things from Costco. I understand how this might be confusing, but it's sort of a ritual now.
I see. Interesting.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:17 am

I'm also down for Costco.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to call off my trip this year. I hope everyone that goes has a great time!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
I was really hoping to be a last-minute addition since I haven't made it to a Japan Do since Osaka in 2016. Unfortunately, we were told this morning that anyone travelling to a coronavirus-affected country will have a mandatory unpaid 14-day quarantine when they get back. It's a real shame because the award space to Japan is phenomenal right now!

Have a great time and stay safe!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'm changing from confirmed to tentative, unfortunately. A ton of my flights have had cancellations/changes, including what I was intending to fly to get to Japan, and I can't even get through to the providers/airlines at the moment.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:57 pm

While I always buy tickets at the last moment and it might still change, this looks to be the first DO since 2015 I will end up skipping.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I've cancelled my trip as of earlier this week.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
While I always buy tickets at the last moment and it might still change, this looks to be the first DO since 2015 I will end up skipping.
booooooooooo!

I might be able to rejig my reservations around to be able to attend
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I, too, am officially out. Hopefully next year! It's been a while since I was able to attend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.