Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Old May 10, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by nme7
Looked at currency exchange rates today (May 10, 2022) 1 USD = 130 Japanese Yen. Wow!
Yeah, it's great for visitors, but I earn yen and have to pay bills back home in dollars. 😕
Old May 10, 2022, 3:30 am

By the way, I read in today's newspaper that they're looking at allowing tourists from June. 😎
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whkento
By the way, I read in today's newspaper that they're looking at allowing tourists from June. 😎
As far as I understand the country will be initially open to organised tour groups with a prearranged itinerary.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
What is the chance Japan will be open for Easter 2023, its on my radar.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
As far as I understand the country will be initially open to organised tour groups with a prearranged itinerary.
So that would be us!
Old May 12, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by nme7
So that would be us!
Haha! Very funny! 😊
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:02 am

Well, things are on the right track. We no longer need to test at the arrival airport when entering Japan. Still have the tour group restriction, though.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
A friend and I have ticketed JL F into TYO (and out) - different flights for now over Easter 2023. Hope something can happen with normal entry into Japan resuming (and we're there for a week post holiday weekend as well).

I propose we split discussion off into a speculative 2023 TYO thread (not sure if NGO is back on, or somewhere else)
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Talking What you've been waiting for.

Originally Posted by beckoa
A friend and I have ticketed JL F into TYO (and out) - different flights for now over Easter 2023. Hope something can happen with normal entry into Japan resuming (and we're there for a week post holiday weekend as well).
I propose we split discussion off into a speculative 2023 TYO thread (not sure if NGO is back on, or somewhere else)
OK. I pull this back to the first page.

Originally Posted by the U.S. Gov't.
Upon arrival in Japan, travelers will be required to complete documentation, and may be required to download several smartphone applications. If a traveler does not have a smartphone, most international airports offer an option for travelers to rent one upon arrival.
It seems that Japan is going to reopen to gaijin even if they are not part of a tour group, from 11 October 2022.
Of course, I can understand why it would not want me to enter Japan. I would seek any number of physical entertainment media {ahem} which Japanese purveyors would not ship to the U.S.A. At 140 yen to the dollar, I could clean out any number of shops offering DVDs. The ASUTO shopping street in Ota-ku near the Kamata train station is atop the list.

But I do not possess a smartphone, and I would genuinely prefer to not have to obtain a smartphone. I understand why Japan wants somebody to obtain its applications, and I trust it enough it would not react adversely if a tracking application showed I was shopping at ASUTO, or any other purveyor offering physical entertainment media which might raise eyebrows or drop jaws if it had to be disclosed at U.S. Customs. (In other words: Japan = yes. U.S.A. = no.) What is my alternative? My communication device is going to be my Windows 8.1 laptop computer - a 2.4 GHz device. Here in the U.S.A., I have encountered a number of venues which broadcast their wi-fi network only to 5 GHz devices. I appeal to them to revise their network settings; even showing them how my home 1 GB fiber broadband network is available for both 2.4 and 5 GHz devices, but they never respond to me.

I have had a fourth Moderna vaccination. When I was searching health care facilities for an annual Flu vaccination, the resultant screen declared I could also get another COVID-19 booster shot at the same time. I was not going to decline that offer.

Essentially, I pull this back to the front because it now seems likely we can have a Japan Do the weekend of 7-9 April 2023. Where it will be I leave to our honorable organizers. If it is the long-delayed Nagoya region, that is O.K. with me; because it means I will get to ride the shinkanshen again. In what is a first for me, this will specify I have to buy the J.R. Pass. But this may also be a plus as far as I am concerned. When Japan reopens, I can reasonably expect the Khaosan hostels to reopen. I stayed at a new Khaosan hostel in Namba Osaka in 2016. It was sufficient. There was | is a new Khaosan hostel in Ryogoku which I hope but expect it will reopen. This hostel is within staggering distance from Beer Club Popeye. I could end every night I stay in Tokyo at Popeye - without having to worry about missing the last train. -And, if hotel prices go into the stratosphere, and the hostel turns out to be the best value for lodging (most hostels have private rooms available if booked enough in advance), I would host other FlyerTalkers each night.
Concluding: It looks good for a resumption of Japan Do in 2023.
whkento likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 10, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:56 am

Yes, it's opening back up!
I'm hoping folks will come to Nagoya (where I live), but will join up wherever the DO is happening.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
I'm headed to Tokyo in a couple weeks, but I'll be in Japan a bunch over rhe next year, and Nagoya is definitely on my list.
whkento likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Was watching NHK news on PBS today. JAPAN IS OPEN!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Lightbulb Question about old walking tour.

From another link train I surfed out-&-about in Chicago, IL.,U.S.A., I encountered a post by La Carmina {no link because I want to refer a future reply here into her blog} in which she mentioned Tashirojima, a "cat island" near Fukushima.
On Japan Do 2017 we had a guided tour of Tokyo neighborhoods in Bunkyo-ku including both a cemetary and a neighborhood dedicated to cat-favoring activity. I have photographs of the area.
What was the name of the neighborhood? What is the geographic area to which I can refer when describing this neighborhood?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pudgym29
On Japan Do 2017 we had a guided tour of Tokyo neighborhoods in Bunkyo-ku including both a cemetary and a neighborhood dedicated to cat-favoring activity. I have photographs of the area.
What was the name of the neighborhood? What is the geographic area to which I can refer when describing this neighborhood?
i was there that year. It was a wonderful walking tour the organizers planned for us.
I can’t really see the street name in Apple Maps but here are the coordinates: 35.72759° N, 139.76494° E
This is the spot this picture was taken. It is in Taito Yanaka neighborhood.

pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:28 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
We did indeed have a walking tour of Yanaka district in Taitō-ku (Taitō Ward) during Japan Do in 2017. The cemetery would have been Yanaka Cemetery and the area is known for cat-themed shops.

Here are a couple of posts about the walk.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28098326-post260.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28101061-post266.html

And some photos of a cat-themed shop.

pudgym29 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.