Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Impromptu LEX DO Oct 3, 2020 weekend [was LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVI April 10-12]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impromptu LEX DO Oct 3, 2020 weekend [was LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVI April 10-12]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Double yay! We should consume some bourbon to celebrate, with or without coffee.
I did a little bit of my part by buying and opening some Angel's Envy last night...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rxgeek
There are bad accidents and sometimes there are good accidents but I didn't know there could be good senior moments. I accidentally bought a bottle of Bulleit Rye, forgetting that I had an unopened one.
On the last Horse & Bourbon DO, after everyone was talking about Bulleit, I took myself out there and had a great individual tour (and saw some signatures on the barrel from our group). It was so much better than the touristic bourbon places with their big tasting rooms and organized tours by appointment. A few weeks after returning home, my local wine store was featuring Bulleit as the latest cult small distillery.
Old May 8, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
lately we’ve been favoring Rittenhouse Rye and Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon
Old May 8, 2020, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Agreed. I wonder if the distilleries are eligible.
Looking forlornly at my liquor cabinet. My favorites are shrinking: 'Forgiven' by Wild Turkey and 'Stave + Barrel' by Glenns Creek. https://glennscreekdistillery.com/
These pair magnificently with my latest shipment of Cubans.
I hope you are talking about cigars
rxgeek likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Lightbulb Feel Like Zooming?

Last night a few FT'ers from the Alaska DO gang got together on Zoom. Although the retirement of one of the organizers prompted this meeting and the attendance was limited, we all had a great time. I suggest we Zoom together for no specific reason other than to talk to old friends. We can call this the LEX Half-done DO.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Last night a few FT'ers from the Alaska DO gang got together on Zoom. Although the retirement of one of the organizers prompted this meeting and the attendance was limited, we all had a great time. I suggest we Zoom together for no specific reason other than to talk to old friends. We can call this the LEX Half-done DO.
Isn’t Zoom full of security holes and routing everything through China? Not sure if I want to open my computer to that.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
I hope you are talking about cigars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GdrJQCrfw
Everything in life has been covered by either “Seinfeld” or “The Simpsons.”
Old May 9, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Everything in life has been covered by either “Seinfeld” or “The Simpsons.”
Dang those long running and insightful television shows!

David
Old May 9, 2020, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Isn’t Zoom full of security holes and routing everything through China? Not sure if I want to open my computer to that.
IMO they definitely had deficiencies and privacy issues (in terms of how they used your personal info), but IMO "full of security holes and routing everything through China" is reductive and oversimplifying.

While some companies have banned it, my employer (3000+ employees) still uses it exclusively for meetings while we're all sheltering from home, and personally I'm doing 4-5 virtual happy hours plus 2-3 online chat/gaming sessions every week with it. I don't think it increases my exposure to malware, and it's pretty trivial to prevent random meeting crashing by griefers by putting a password on the meeting. But of course everyone has to evaluate things for themselves and decide what they feel comfortable with, so YMMV.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
IMO they definitely had deficiencies and privacy issues (in terms of how they used your personal info), but IMO "full of security holes and routing everything through China" is reductive and oversimplifying.

While some companies have banned it, my employer (3000+ employees) still uses it exclusively for meetings while we're all sheltering from home, and personally I'm doing 4-5 virtual happy hours plus 2-3 online chat/gaming sessions every week with it. I don't think it increases my exposure to malware, and it's pretty trivial to prevent random meeting crashing by griefers by putting a password on the meeting. But of course everyone has to evaluate things for themselves and decide what they feel comfortable with, so YMMV.
This is what I read last month.

“The video conferencing provider has admitted that some non-China users had their calls routed through China.In a statement late Friday, Zoom CEO Eric Yuan admitted to mistakenly routing calls via China.

"In our urgency to come to the aid of people around the world during this unprecedented pandemic, we added server capacity and deployed it quickly — starting in China, where the outbreak began," Yuan said. "In that process, we failed to fully implement our usual geo-fencing best practices. As a result, it is possible certain meetings were allowed to connect to systems in China, where they should not have been able to connect."

So “everything” for some users.

Not too impressed with China these days.

And I think passwords are now required, no?
Old May 9, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: US, HH
I'm up for a LEX Half-done DO, lol.

I get emails from Crank & Boom for their ice cream and they ship now. Expensive, but one of these days I may break down, just for the sake of splurging. Not to mention, not spending travel dollars right now so there's that.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This is what I read last month.

“The video conferencing provider has admitted that some non-China users had their calls routed through China.In a statement late Friday, Zoom CEO Eric Yuan admitted to mistakenly routing calls via China.

"In our urgency to come to the aid of people around the world during this unprecedented pandemic, we added server capacity and deployed it quickly — starting in China, where the outbreak began," Yuan said. "In that process, we failed to fully implement our usual geo-fencing best practices. As a result, it is possible certain meetings were allowed to connect to systems in China, where they should not have been able to connect."

So “everything” for some users.

Not too impressed with China these days.

And I think passwords are now required, no?
Yes, I saw that. My point remains that "everything for some users for a period of time" is different from implied FUD of "everything for everyone was and continues to be routed through China." If the Chinese government is listening in on my drunken ramblings I'm ok with that. Obviously for business purposes I would be less cavalier. I do seem to recall there were some concerns about whether there was truly end-to-end encryption or not.

Most of my meetings definitely do not have passwords, although one of them (monthly HOA meeting) does. However these were all created in March, maybe newly-created meetings require a password?

Anyway I understand the concerns and if people choose not to use it I respect that choice.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
We could try What's Ap Video teleconferencing. Ever since they had the security problem a few years ago, they upped their security and the video version is encrypted. I've used both Zoom and What's Ap and the What's Ap video seems more stabile and seems to have a sharper image.

Last edited by cocobird; May 9, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Old May 9, 2020, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm required to use zoom by my employer, although I have a separate personal account (linked to my personal email) for happy hours, etc.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'd be up for a Virtual DO. I'm fine using Zoom but also happy to use something else if others are more comfortable that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.