Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL 2019 Secret Santa Extravaganza Thread!

OFFICIAL 2019 Secret Santa Extravaganza Thread!

Old Oct 5, 19, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Thank you everyone!
Old Oct 6, 19, 7:19 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: LTP, PP
It is this and I apologize as its balsamic vinegar, not vinaigrette technically, as you make it into one!

https://www.fustinis.com/made-in-tes...ueberry-white/
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:59 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
USPS First Class Mail vs Priority Mail

I usually mail my international packages via USPS Priority Mail for better tracking and hoping for better speed and safer handling. The USPS Priority Mail service has gone up significantly in price this year for international destinations so I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to get my packages to my Santees safely and in a timely manner. Does anyone have experience mailing international packages via USPS First Class Mail vs Priority Mail?

I usually like to get my international packages out in mid November to avoid the Black Friday logistical insanity and winter weather issues, again hoping that the package arrives on-time and in decent shape.
Redhead likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 9:52 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Originally Posted by tcl View Post
I usually mail my international packages via USPS Priority Mail for better tracking and hoping for better speed and safer handling. The USPS Priority Mail service has gone up significantly in price this year for international destinations so I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to get my packages to my Santees safely and in a timely manner. Does anyone have experience mailing international packages via USPS First Class Mail vs Priority Mail?

I usually like to get my international packages out in mid November to avoid the Black Friday logistical insanity and winter weather issues, again hoping that the package arrives on-time and in decent shape.
I've had good luck with several countries except Costa Rica. I mailed family a package last November using 1st class. I know the address is correct since I've used it multiple times. The package finally came back to me 9 MONTHS later as "undeliverable" Nuts.

But I'm looking for other ideas/experience too. Oftentimes the cost to mail internationally with tracking ends up being close to $100!
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
I've had good luck with several countries except Costa Rica. I mailed family a package last November using 1st class. I know the address is correct since I've used it multiple times. The package finally came back to me 9 MONTHS later as "undeliverable" Nuts.

But I'm looking for other ideas/experience too. Oftentimes the cost to mail internationally with tracking ends up being close to $100!
I'll admit to relying on Amazon to ship my international packages. Not as personal, but also not as costly.
Redhead and diburning like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I'll admit to relying on Amazon to ship my international packages. Not as personal, but also not as costly.
+1 for that. I look for what I want to send the recipient on their local Amazon site (India has been the most challenging one since most e-tailers don't have a presence there) and it usually ends up costing a lot less than shipping from the states, even if the items have a markup.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
+1 for that. I look for what I want to send the recipient on their local Amazon site (India has been the most challenging one since most e-tailers don't have a presence there) and it usually ends up costing a lot less than shipping from the states, even if the items have a markup.
It isn't quite as personal, but it much easier and the shipping costs are far less.
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:01 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
This definitely works in a pinch (or last minute)
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:12 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
It isn't quite as personal, but it much easier and the shipping costs are far less.
Amazon lets you add a gift note.

I also mail out a handwritten card.
tcl and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazon lets you add a gift note.

I also mail out a handwritten card.
I didn't think about a handwritten note. I always add an Amazon gift note.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:34 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
Unfortunately Amazon is not available in all countries and sometimes even international chains (Sephora) are not as international as they appear to be. Plus, it's a little nicer to open a box to find wrapped presents and a handwritten card.

I have in the past gone shopping with a few USPS boxes just to see if the item I wanted to buy could be packed safely inside.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcl View Post
Unfortunately Amazon is not available in all countries and sometimes even international chains (Sephora) are not as international as they appear to be. Plus, it's a little nicer to open a box to find wrapped presents and a handwritten card.

I have in the past gone shopping with a few USPS boxes just to see if the item I wanted to buy could be packed safely inside.
That's another idea! That said, I think one of my recent international shipments was $75 or so, in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box.

Search this Thread