FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   CHICAGO - weekend Mini Do - Sept 21/22 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1981706-chicago-weekend-mini-do-sept-21-22-a.html)

Sweet Willie Aug 5, 2019 12:24 pm

CHICAGO - weekend Mini Do - Sept 21/22

Hey all, a number of Do's happening this weekend. Join for all of the activities or just one, your choice, just confirm to the thread what you plan on attending so I can manage expectations for venues/restaurants.

Saturday September 21:

1:20pm Cubs game vs the St Louis Cardinals
Wrigley Field - I have 3 tickets and they are spoken for. I am happy to lend assistance to purchase tickets for a group of folks if needed. So if interested in the game, let the thread know

5:30pm Dinner at D'Candela
C'mon out to D'Candela a Peruvian restaurant that is BYOB (Bring your own booze). The restaurant is VERY easy to get to with public transportation, it is only a few blocks away from the Blue Line (& Metra) Irving Park stop.
Fellow FT members & I dined here awhile back in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and we enjoyed everything we had. Some examples of very tasty dishes include:
Peruvian-style rotisserie chicken roasted slowly over real charcoal

Ceviche Mixto - Seafood and fresh tilapia marinated with lime juice, cilantro and rocoto pepper. Served with red onions, sweet potato, potato and Peruvian white corn. Slightly spicy.

Ocopa - Boiled and sliced potatoes topped with creamy sauce made with huacatay herb, nuts, milk and cheese. Served with boiled egg.

Chicha Morada - Traditional homemade Peruvian drink made of purple corn.

D'Candela
3447-3449 W Irving Park Rd, Chicago, IL 60618
Chicago, IL 60618
http://www.dcandela.com/

After Dinner, maybe drinks, maybe music club, maybe comedy club, TBD. (I have a number of ideas but suggestions welcome)

Sunday September 22:

8am Breakfast - (yes I know it is early but there are some that are likely to need a flight out on Sunday, so allowing plenty of time for those folks to get to the airport)
Wishbone (Southern breakfast/brunch). The red eggs or shimp n grits are just two of the delicious items served.
161 N Jefferson St
Chicago IL 60661
https://www.wishbonechicago.com/

Working on a Sunday mid morning activity. Stay tuned.

Who's interested? ALL ARE WELCOME

Dinner at D'Candela:
dhammer53
the_happiness_store
u2fan
bk3day
Renard
AASweets
ckpeter
ckpeter's +1 (maybe)
toomanybooks
Willie

Breakfast at Wishbone:
dhammer53
legalalien
AASweets
Santander
United747
u2fan
Willie

------

the_happiness_store Aug 5, 2019 12:40 pm

Definitely up for D'Candela

polkacat Aug 5, 2019 1:10 pm

Interested - tentative yes on Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast, will know better closer to the date. Thanks!

goodeats21 Aug 5, 2019 1:18 pm

That is opening weekend of Oktoberfest, so I will be in Munich. Wish the timing would have worked....
Have a great time.
Prost !

Sweet Willie Aug 5, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31382423)
That is opening weekend of Oktoberfest, so I will be in Munich. Wish the timing would have worked....
Have a great time.
Prost !

sorry to miss ya, been awhile. I went to Munich Oktoberfest in 2003, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time !!!

legalalien Aug 5, 2019 4:09 pm

Sign me up!

Also, perhaps we can 'honor' Oktoberfest with a Sunday afternoon or evening activity. :cool:

Sweet Willie Aug 5, 2019 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien (Post 31383071)
Also, perhaps we can 'honor' Oktoberfest with a Sunday afternoon or evening activity. :cool:

Good Idea, Maybe the rooftop at Gene's Sausage or a meal at Laschet's

dhammer53 Aug 5, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm going to fly in from LGA Saturday morning for this event.

I'm in for all planned events. Thanks for organizing. Looking forward to seeing old Chicago friends and new ones. I head home Sunday afternoon from MDW. can you guess the airline? ;)

dh

FriendlySkies Aug 5, 2019 8:43 pm

I just received a large AA voucher and I’m off that weekend, so count me as very interested!

goodeats21 Aug 6, 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 31382860)
sorry to miss ya, been awhile. I went to Munich Oktoberfest in 2003, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time !!!

It has become an annual trip for me. 'Bout time I order some lederhosen. :eek:

At some point the calendar will line up so I can get back to Chicago...

mhnadel Aug 7, 2019 1:54 pm

I am interested but not sure if I am available.

smitty06 Aug 13, 2019 5:23 pm

I will definitely participate in some parts of the weekend

Ceres Aug 15, 2019 11:18 am

I have to pass on both this and Oktoberfest. Haven't been there in 15 years either. So no brats or Cuy for me that weekend.

KMA26 Aug 20, 2019 5:45 am

We will be in Iceland that weekend and have to miss this one. Sounds like some good eating - hope everyone enjoys.

Plainsman Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Please add me to the Saturday D'Candela dinner.