Reload this Page >

The Double New Year DO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PbodyPhoto
A day tour to the island of Aitutaki is available for $493NZD/$338.50USD. The tour is apparently highly recommended and includes round trip flights, a 6 hour boat tour, a bbq lunch, and snorkelling. More info can be found at: https://www.aitutakidaytour.com/about/
Print Wikipost

The Double New Year DO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
The Double New Year DO - Dec 31, 2019 (twice) - Jan 3, 2020

Way back in 2007, I resolved to spend New Year’s Eve in a different place every year, never repeating a location. I’ve come to enjoy the project so much that for the last New Year's Eve of the 2010s, I’ve decided to celebrate it twice.

The plan is to meet in Auckland on or before December 31st, celebrate the arrival of a new decade, sleep (maybe), and then meet back at the airport to board Air NZ flight 46 back in to 2019. Upon arrival in Rarotonga, we'll celebrate 2020 for a second time and then spend a few days enjoying the culture of the Cook Islands, a self-governing island nation in a free association with New Zealand (good enough to count as a country in my book). It also appears to the least populated country with a non stop flight to the US.

I'm co-planning this with PbodyPhoto, and more details to come as we do our research and get an idea of how many others are interested.
Working Itinerary
Tuesday December 31st (or earlier):
Meet in Auckland
Celebrate NYE #1

Wednesday January 1st:
Wake up far too early
8:55am - Depart AKL on Air NZ Flight 46 (Or VA91 for those who want a sleep in) back to 2019

Tuesday December 31st (again):
1:45pm - Arrive in the Cook Islands
- transfer to hotels TBD
Celebrate NYE #2

Wednesday January 1st (again):
Recovery on the beach + explore the island

Thursday January 2nd:
Explore
Day trip to Aitutaki

Friday January 3rd:
11:55pm - A nonstop flight to LAX is available for those wanting to return to America.

Accomodations
Auckland
Four Points Sheraton
monitor +1 (12/30-1/1)
PbodyPhoto (12/31-1/1)
thewayofthefuture +1 (12/30-1/1)

Raratonga
TBD

Attendees
Confirmed
monitor +1
PbodyPhoto
thewayofthefuture +1

Interested
nomadic.relief
penagal
wijomas +1

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG
For anyone interested there is a pretty good one way fare from AKL to LAX via RAR available for $800. Find it on google flights and click through to cheapoair to get the lower price.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Interested
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:43 pm

My interest has definitely been piqued - what a way to welcome in a new decade! Slightly trickier endeavour from this hemisphere, but not entirely unreasonable....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
I've booked 2 reward nights (12/30 and 12/31) at the Four Points Auckland. Looks like they are requiring a 2-night minimum for points redemptions over NYE.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Double New Years sounds intriguing. I'm interested. Flights between USA and New Zealand can be expensive that time of year, but deals may still pop up.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
2020 is a double, right? So what better way to do it than to celebrate its coming twice? We are in and have booked at the 4Pts AKL 12/30-1/1 and also on the NZ nonstop to RAR which, as thewayofthefuture has mentioned, is much too early that morning. We also will be with him on that NZ nonstop RAR-LAX on 1/3.

Unfortunately the VA flight to RAR which we would prefer, cuts the arrival a bit late but might serve as an emergency backup if NZ has a hiccup (or if somebody were to oversleep).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
I am interested but will wait to see if the airfares moderate.
thewayofthefuture likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I am interested but will wait to see if the airfares moderate.
I do not think that airfares will moderate since the NZ RAR-LAX flight is completely sold out in Business and only has a couple left in PE. The back is about 80% sold at this writing.

NZ AKL-RAR has a bit more availability, probably due to its timing. All of this I found out when I went to EF thinking that I would place a bid for an upgrade.

Last edited by monitor; Jul 12, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.