Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:38 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

It's way to early and honestly I have a couple of other problems right now. But also I will not cancel hotels and flights right now but stick with my decision.

Full support for the decision to postpone the DO. I hopefully will make it then. Stay safe and keep distance
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
With Queensland closing the borders to southern states, and even more lock downs the chances of even organizing a dinner for us locals is getting more remote.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:13 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
With Queensland closing the borders to southern states, and even more lock downs the chances of even organizing a dinner for us locals is getting more remote.
Yup - the closure of the Qld border now rules us out for a dinner catchup that WE ...will need to work out how to cancel our Va flights...one booked using Amex Travel credit and the other via the ANZ Travel Adventures Visa card which has since been cancelled. I fully anticipate NSW to go into complete lockdown (ie stay at home) anyway within a week. Can we have a virtual dinner (I guess BYO food / alcohol)?!
Bundy Bear likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:57 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Have been that busy with clients for the last couple of weeks (until this afternoon, it's taken a hiatus) that I haven't been able to focus on Ozfest. Had 3 speakers lined up and was working on a new Tour, but now will tell them to set their diary for 2021. Will be sad to miss a year, but this virus has got in the way. We're still not in lockdown, but will depend on numbers getting the disease (hoping the curve flattens to less than USA, UK and Italy).
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
My friend lives in Auckland. He told me that the country has a 30 day lock down. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-see-the-enemy

Here's my advice from 10 km from the New Rochelle NY epicenter of the CoronaVirus > STAY HOME. Many of us in the northern NYC suburbs have self quarantined for close to 3 weeks. We're managing. If you must go food shopping, load up; as to avoid mingling with people.

For now, the BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) is in the penalty box.

Stay safe.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Im not coming this year.

Flight ticket taxes refunded, and Ill try and see what the Novotel will do - it was a points stay....

Stay safe all......
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53

For now, the BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) is in the penalty box until 2021. Maybe you'll join us?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
BRT & Wine DO will resume in 2021 due to safety concerns. I hope to join Ozfest BNE in 2021 also.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Given the events of the last day or two, I've cancelled my bookings. Might be too hard to get there!

Try again next year
Old May 8, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
My flights have been cancelled, so alas, this year is not to be.

*sad face*
Old May 8, 2020, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Same. And even if I could get there I wouldn't be permitted in

See you all next year, hopefully!
Old May 12, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
look at the good news!

Well, let's look at the good news...........
The pandemic has left all of us with big credit vouchers good for the next 12-24 months! What better reason to visit OZ in 2021?
Old May 12, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I'm still waiting on my Fiji Airways refund plus I got a "Have fun!" email this morning now that it's < 72 hours out from departure on flights that have been cancelled.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 4:30 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Local time now is 08:30 Friday 22nd May 2020. Oz Fest 17 BNE was due to start today, but due to the Covid-19 pandemic that is not to be.

For those who were to come, the Brisbane weather looks to be a very pleasant today and a good forecast for the weekend.
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/b...e/brisbane-gpo

Australia has closed the border to all but AU citizens, AU permanent residents and a very few others(by exception). The Queensland state border is closed to interstate visitors, with again a very few exceptions. Those that do arrive into AU and even crossing some, but not all, state borders must do a 14 day quarantine. When the AU border will reopen is unknown. Is possible that AU will be closed to international visitors, other than NZ, for the rest of the calendar year. Allowing travel AU<--->NZ in a few months time is being mentioned by the respective governments.

International flights to/from Australia are very few. UA is flying SFO-SYD daily, Qatar QR continues to fly into BNE/SYD/MEL airports and a few other international airlines are operating into AU. Qantas & Virgin Australia only have a few AU Government sponsored international flights.

International travel in 2021 will be different 2019. International air travel has changed. Newish A380’s, old B777’s & older B747’s are being grounded. Many aircraft crew and aircraft will never fly again for commercial passenger services.

For Oz Fest 17 2021 BNE we will try again from Friday 28th May to Sunday 30th May 2021 A new Oz Fest 17 thread will be started in a few months time. But it will be months before airline schedules will be back to the new normal for those who book flights early.
Old May 21, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Local time now is 08:30 Friday 22nd May 2020. Oz Fest 17 BNE was due to start today, but due to the Covid-19 pandemic that is not to be..
Kathy and I will toast the 2020 Oz Fest that never was with a glass of Shiraz and hope to see old friends and new in 2021.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.