Reload this Page >

Boston Boat DO...August 9-11, 2019

Old Feb 27, 19, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: SPG/Marriott: Plat; Hyatt/Hilton: DIA; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic

Well, some of you may know that I am in the process of buying my first boat. What a great way to hang out with other FT'ers but touring Boston and perhaps taking a boating day trip. Anyone game?

DO Dates: August 9th to August 11th

Planned Itinerary:
August 9th: Friday

Day: Free day (will depend upon my work schedule) or arrivals
Late Afternoon: Meet for drinks and apps somewhere TBD (close-ish to Fenway). Budget for $20 plus drinks, payable at restaurant.
Evening: Red Sox game (Angels v. Sox @ Fenway). 7:10 start. Bleacher Tix cost of $45 ($43+ Service charge). Eat at the Park!

August 10th: Saturday
Day: Saturday plan (if weather permits):
a. Breakfast on your own. Explore at your leisure.
b. Boat Meetup: 9:30a at the boat (East Boston, Boston Shipyard Marina: Boston Harbor Shipyard & Marina) or 10:30a in downtown Boston @ The dock at the Barking Crab (The Barking Crab).
c. Day's ITN: Head north to view the the iconic Boston Harbor lighthouses and gorgeous harbors of Marblehead and Manchester before heading to Gloucester for lunch (we're winging lunch). An afternoon tour thru the Annisquam River channel, Rockport and Ipswich before returning home. I'll have a cooler, soft drinks and snackies for the boat. Alcohol is BYOB. Gas contributions appreciated but not required.
d. Return: Assume we'll get back to the Barking Crab around 5. But PLEASE don't make any firm plans based upon this, it will be very flexible based upon the group, our itinerary and the weather.
Night: Dinner at Jasper White's Summer Shack (Boston Location) at 8pm. https://summershackrestaurant.com/

August 11th: Sunday
Day: 10:30am 3.5 hour private narrated tour of Boston historic sites by the Revolutionary Story: https://www.therevolutionarystorytour.com/.
Signup and pay for the tour here: https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/224812
Lunch: Optional/Ad Hoc after the tour around 2pm
Departure: 2pm ish

Getting here/there:
Boston is served by all major carriers, though JetBlue and Delta have the biggest presence here. Directs from all major cities

Hotels
There are a plethora of Hotel, B&B and AirB&B options. We even have a hostel right downtown. Given our itinerary, I would suggest staying in one of the following locales
Boston Proper: Back Bay, Financial District, South End, Fenway, Seaport
Cambridge: Kendall, Central or Harvard Squares
Other neighborhood feedback on request

Getting around
Do NOT rent a car. Parking is very expensive (like NYC expensive here). Public transport is excellent (and part of the BOS experience) and Ubers are plentiful (and pretty cheap since it's such a compact city)

Other Stuff
  • Max of 8 people (plus me) for Boat and Red Sox tix block.
  • Folks that sign up for the weekend (Boat + Sox) get first priority on the boat.
  • However, I will buy the Sox Tix in advance so in order to confirm your spot, you owe me $45
  • If you want to be an actual confirm, please PM me so that I can give you details on how to send me $$. Only once I receive payment will I consider you confirmed. Large, non traceable bills encouraged
  • Once I get at least 4 paid folks, I will buy the Sox tickets.
  • If you are local, but want to piecemeal the weekend (No Sox, for example) please just follow the thread for details.
  • Itinerary will need to be flexible, depending upon weather.
  • The boat's likely first mate will be Pumpkin, a very cute 11 month old puppy (Shepherd mix). Please be willing to accept the possibility of a furry first mate on our boat ride.
What say you FT'ers? Up for a boat ride?

Confirmed
CMK10 (the first!)
CDKing
diburning
Zorak
dany2k3m

bk3day
shoeflyer

Wait List:

Considering if I want to be 10 miles out to sea with a bunch of crazy FTers
tkey75
Cloudship
Sallycat
c5ruzr
Efrem
CarlaJ

Regretfully Declines
HPN-HRL
katycab

No way in h$ll I would get on a boat with a bunch of total strangers and a potentially spastic dog:
jrl767 (but he likes the dog)
Sweet Willie and yunicorner like this.

Last edited by navi_jen; Jul 23, 19 at 4:35 pm
Old Feb 28, 19, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Definitely interested, at least for the boat part and probably the Friday evening Sox game. (It's Baltimore on August 16th.) Being local, I may need to be in other places at some of the other times.
Old Feb 28, 19, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am definitely interested and both weekends work for me right now. Let me know when we have a confirmed weekend and I'll make my arrangements.
Old Feb 28, 19, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Sounds fun, sign me up. I've been in Boston area for over 10 years now and still have not been to Fenway Park nor a Red Sox game. Oh and i don't mind spastic puppies or boats either
Old Feb 28, 19, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

All, great to see we are getting some traction here!

However, In the spirit of full disclosure (and if you are not following my OMNI thread), my new to me boat has yet to undergo inspection. If for some reason I do not buy this particular boat that is under contract (and I don't find another boat by August) there is a small chance that Saturday's ITN would change. I'd still have the DO, but just in case the boat was the clincher, I wanted to be upfront about this.

However, I would hope that my adorable first mutt would seal the deal.

Old Mar 1, 19, 3:25 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Count me in!
Old Mar 1, 19, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
I'd still have the DO, but just in case the boat was the clincher, I wanted to be upfront about this.
I'm an hour out of Boston and it will be nice to have more than just a dinner DO so i'm in either way
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Definitely interested!
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hanging onto BAEC(G);HH(G via AX Plt);SPG/MAR(T); was [UA2P, WN A-, FL A+Elite, BD G, Hyatt P/GLB]
I can make the 1st weekend (Aug 6-9) but not the second - please hold a spot for me (if you end up choosing the second weekend feel free to take me off the list).
Old Mar 3, 19, 7:32 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

All, we have enough interest to lock in a date. The big difference in weekends is whether or not folks feel strongly about going to the fisherman's feast. It's sorta cool to see the parade and some of the old time Italian traditions, but it's also an absolute mobfest of a neighborhood streetfair, wall to wall people. It will also change Sunday's ITN as any North End tourist area (Old North Church, Paul Revere's House and Copp's Hill Burial Ground) will be a no-no as they will be overwhelmed with festival go-ers.

Really up the group if they prefer the fisherman's feast or exploring Boston's colonial history. Welcome to The Fisherman's Feast | Main Page. If we go the 1st weekend, HPN can join us.

What say ye, DOers?
Old Mar 3, 19, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
sorry, Jen, this sounds like fun ... sadly the weekend of the 9th is definitely out for me, and the only way I can see making even a part of the weekend of the 16th work is if I need to go to RIC on Sun evening to help my son pack up for his cross-country move (which I'm hoping will actually occur earlier in the month)
Old Mar 4, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Hey I suddenly might, a big capital M might, be able to do the weekend of the 9th. Please waitlist me.

Also, I'd recommend limiting the size of the group even further. Cap it at 8 until you actually get out on the water with people on the boat. Mine is plated for 12. Yes, it can carry 12 without sinking. No one would be comfortable and the boat would struggle while burning waaayyyy too much fuel. At 8 it's barely manageable, playing lots of people Tetris and everyone can sit, but is squeezed in. At 6, everyone gets a comfy seat. At 4, it's heaven. At 2, good and bad things happen when no one is looking
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
I would consider this - count me as interested.... don't know my August sched yet however.
pfbloom
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I can make any day as long as I know at least two weeks in advance which day it is so that I can request it off at work.

I live in Boston so the touristy things don't really appeal to me, but if others want to do it, I'll tag along.
Old Mar 6, 19, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I live an hour or so out of Boston as well, I would be interested in at least a few of these events. I am not sure I can commit to these dates yet, though, so I have to be a maybe. So if you have confirmed attendees they can take precedence.

Search this Thread