Boston Boat DO...August 9-11, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston Boat DO...August 9-11, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I have a bit of boating experience (power). I don't have any nav charts, but can sort of read them. I have minimal anchoring and mooring experience. I went out last month and the month before with a neighbor that owns a boat, and we went fishing.

As far as free public (touch and go) docks to pick up/drop off in Boston Harbor, I know of a few, if you're looking.

Fan Pier is free for up to 15 minutes for loading/unloading, but the dock is a little high off the water, since it's meant for larger vessels.

Depending on tides and whether the swing bridge is open (it usually is for the summer), you can use The Barking Crab's dock. Further down the channel over by Necco is a public (city owned) dock that you can park at while waiting, but whether you'll make it under the three bridges (Seaport blvd, Congress st, and Summer st) depends on the tides.

Sargent's Wharf has a small dock that appears to be part of the Harborwalk. There's no signs indicating that it's private, and I know of people who have used that dock for pick-up/drop off without issue.

Burrough's Wharf is public. You can dock/tie up there, but technically it's a pick-up/drop-off dock for the apartment building, and others that know about it use it as well, so if boaters are considerate, it will stay public

East Boston over by the fueling station at Boston Harbor Shipyard and Marina is also a public pick-up/drop-off area although I don't think that spot would be convenient for most of us folks

Last edited by diburning; Jul 22, 2019 at 3:56 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Gang, I would prefer to do the guided tour, it's sorta cool and very highly recommended. I have confirmed that on Sunday https://www.therevolutionarystorytour.com

Can either:

A) Do a private tour for us at 10:30, but I need confirmation that everyone will attend, because I will have to front the $$ for the private our

OR

B) We can take as many spots as we need on the standard 9:30a tour and everyone can sign up (and/or drop out) individually
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:35 am

I be there.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by navi_jen
A) Do a private tour for us at 10:30, but I need confirmation that everyone will attend, because I will have to front the $$ for the private our
I'd be interested in this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ill be there for the Sunday Tour either one. My boating experience is staying away from the anchor as its being tossed.

How far in advance do you think we would know where and time boat departure is? The earliest commuter rail arrives south station at 8:30am which may be pushing it, even if i catch a water taxi to East Boston. I'm debating whether I should just book a hotel room Friday night to decrease the number of trips in and out of the city anyways .
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Ill be there for the Sunday Tour either one. My boating experience is staying away from the anchor as its being tossed.

How far in advance do you think we would know where and time boat departure is? The earliest commuter rail arrives south station at 8:30am which may be pushing it, even if i catch a water taxi to East Boston.
CD King, don't worry about getting to East Boston, I am assuming most everyone won't want to meet me at the boat, just figured I'd give folks the option in case they really wanted to get the full experience. The Boston Downtown side pickup will be 10a on Saturday....so you would be fine taking the train. The other option is I can push the downtown pickup to 10:30a, that way you can take the 2nd train. Pickup will be somewhere between South Station/North End/Seaport, so an easy walk or taxi or Uber from South Station.

Originally Posted by diburning
I have a bit of boating experience (power). I don't have any nav charts, but can sort of read them. As far as free public (touch and go) docks to pick up/drop off in Boston Harbor, I know of a few, if you're looking.
Di, thanks for that list, I'll take a look. I may ask you to be 2nd mate to help with lines and so forth, hope you don't mind Picking up near the Barking Crab would be fun, would give everyone a real sense of the city. But not sure I want to deal with tides and crazies on on a weekend. Will check it out.

Last edited by navi_jen; Jul 23, 2019 at 5:01 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

PS...think we have a quorum for the private tour on Sunday, I'll book that for a 10:30a start.

Jen
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat
Gang, I would prefer to do the guided tour, it's sorta cool and very highly recommended. I have confirmed that on Sunday https://www.therevolutionarystorytour.com

Can either:

OR

B) We can take as many spots as we need on the standard 9:30a tour and everyone can sign up (and/or drop out) individually
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. I thought this would be a "tour" of the city (as in bar hopping or place hopping I suppose) when I signed up so we were planning on tagging along in the afternoon. Sorry!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Okay, gang, Wiki/First page updated with updated pickup and dropoff for Saturday

and link where you can register and pay for Sunday's private tour.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, gang, Wiki/First page updated with updated pickup and dropoff for Saturday

Ill be doing the Sunday tour. i have not paid yet, I'm going to try to wait a few days for my new credit card for some credit towards minimum spend. Right now it shows 1 of 12 spots taken but ill just put it on another card if were worried about meeting a deadline. every dollar counts
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
done!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Ill be doing the Sunday tour. i have not paid yet, I'm going to try to wait a few days for my new credit card for some credit towards minimum spend. Right now it shows 1 of 12 spots taken but ill just put it on another card if were worried about meeting a deadline. every dollar counts
No worries. The company owner knows we need 8 spots. I wouldnt wait 2 weeks but a few days should be okay.

Originally Posted by Zorak
done!
awesomesauce.

Sorta excited. Have not been a tourist in quite a few years.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No worries. The company owner knows we need 8 spots. I wouldnt wait 2 weeks but a few days should be okay.
Ill probably just have to pay before the card gets here. I'm looking forward to the tour. I've been in the state for 11 years and i have not done any official tours, just random walking downtown.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I will have to drop out of Sunday's activities. I have to work that day as I couldn't get it off.

But, Friday and Saturday are a go!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Anyone is welcome to join the Sunday activities, up to 12 ppl allowed. Just sign up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.