Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who we all are

Who we all are

Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I didn't realize this thread existed when I joined. My name is Stephanie. I fly out of BNA (Nashville). I'm still trying to learn all of the abbreviations used on the forums, but that makes it all the more enjoyable as I try to break the codes1 ;-)

I generally travel with my other half. Most of our travel is for the sole purpose of seeing a place we haven't seen before. I have learned so much already just from reading threads and either shaking my head or nodding - yes! I had something happen just like that!!

I've also learned most of my best travel lessons when something went wrong, and I had to figure out what to do next. Reading here is a bit like a crash course in 'what to do next' so thank you all very much!!!
Welcome aboard (belatedly)!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Hmm... I've been here for a while but just realized I've never posted here.

So, I used to travel more than I do now, and am mostly a leisure traveler at this point. I wish I was traveling more for work, but I've got a pretty good deal where I am now, so I'm staying. I'm at a university and professional staff get basically the same deal as tenure. I'm due in Feb. 2019 so I should have a job for life at that point.

I'm a software engineer and tech enthusiast so I try to hang out in the Tech section in case any questions pop up that I can answer.

Home airport is BUF but I think I'm going to start driving to YYZ to start my trips more often - fares are usually way cheaper up there. Even after parking and a hotel on return I'm saving $450 and have one less stopover on my next trip than if I left from BUF. I might check out ORD next, but that's a much longer road trip.

Most common trip I take is BUF <-> RSW since my parents are in FL.

I really appreciate having FT around; I've learned a ton from reading all your posts, so thanks everyone!
obunewbie17 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HH Silver, IHG plat
HI FT,

My name is b00mer89 and I think i may be developing a problem... My wife and i started into the travel game a couple of years ago and it has grown from there. We are huge into exploring the world and seeing all it has to offer, trying to learn everything we can about a location before we go so we can understand better and not be surprised by any culture shocks (insert sheltered American joke here). bringing back a real piece(art or some other hand crafted item) of a country when we travel is important to us, it allows us to a tell a story about how/why we picked it up. we have a travel wall that over the years i hope expands to encompass more of the apartment.

right now were mostly cattle class, but as we learn, were starting to use more C+/E+ seating options as upgrades when it makes sense since I'm 6'2". ive been a long time lurker, and finally decided to become a bit more active on here so i figured i would post and say hi.

i look forward to seeing the world, and maybe getting together for a beer or glass of wine in the future with some of you wonderful individuals.

b00mer89
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Welcome! Nothing wrong with a ton of research and bringing some culture back with you. I think almost anyone on here will agree that being treated like "cattle" with any airline is one of the worst spots to be in. Get the status and get the upgrades. Plenty of good advice from people on here.

Originally Posted by b00mer89
HI FT,

My name is b00mer89 and I think i may be developing a problem... My wife and i started into the travel game a couple of years ago and it has grown from there. We are huge into exploring the world and seeing all it has to offer, trying to learn everything we can about a location before we go so we can understand better and not be surprised by any culture shocks (insert sheltered American joke here). bringing back a real piece(art or some other hand crafted item) of a country when we travel is important to us, it allows us to a tell a story about how/why we picked it up. we have a travel wall that over the years i hope expands to encompass more of the apartment.

right now were mostly cattle class, but as we learn, were starting to use more C+/E+ seating options as upgrades when it makes sense since I'm 6'2". ive been a long time lurker, and finally decided to become a bit more active on here so i figured i would post and say hi.

i look forward to seeing the world, and maybe getting together for a beer or glass of wine in the future with some of you wonderful individuals.

b00mer89
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia
Hi All,
I'm 'slownetguy' from Aus (other Aus members know we're basically on dial-up down under).
Been getting into more flying for work and leisure.

Next flight is from Brisbane --> Sydney, Sydney --> Honolulu.

Looking forward being part of the community!
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
Hi Steph! Welcome! I came aboard once retired, and just travel AND leisure. I hope you get the second part in, too. Good to hear you're getting the rewards you want. I've not traveled much as part of my former profession, but since 2006 (early retirement) I've been to innumerable non-urban locations, some quite wild and some not, as well as some places where 'everyone' goes. Feel free to PM me if you have Q about places you might want to go; and I will let you know what I know or if I simply don't know. I've found that this group is like a family. Occasional haters, but most of the time, we all just want to help.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, Hilton Honors, IHG
Thought Id introduce myself. I am wife to mdovenmuehler here and am usually the quiet one . What a great community here, I know for a fact we have spent plenty of time roaming the forums for help, tips and info regarding my husbands point habits and adventures. However a lot of the info we have found was super useful in our daily travels, vacations and good life tips in general. Glad to finally be onboard and I will be doing the Secret Santa as well this year
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:19 am

I'm an industrial design master student in the Netherlands. I've worked for a number of aircraft interior companies to design concepts for better passenger experience. I'm using this forum to gather information about lavatory cleanliness. I'll post my own thread soon, but for now if anyone is interested in directly helping please get in touch!

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Hey everyone.

My name is Joel. For the past 5 years, I've worked as an analyst at a community bank in southern Michigan after graduating with a degree in mathematics.

I started playing hockey before I even started kindergarten and played all through high school. I've been to a handful of NCAA Frozen Fours and try to make it whenever I can.

I'm a huge fan of the Chicago Cubs, Green Bay Packers, and Michigan State Univ.

I've always been interested in airplanes. I always catch myself staring in the sky whenever I hear the roar of an engine, trying to spot it in the sky. My personal highlight so far was getting to fly in an A380 two years ago.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by b00mer89
HI FT,

b00mer89

Hi Boomer - Welcome to FlyerTalk. I read your posting with much interest. Seems we have a few things in common. My wife and I enjoy traveling a lot - and have done a lot of it for many years. We also have a "travel wall".. It covers about 15 feet of our family room wall and displays items from at least 40 countries. We also usually fly economy, and in years past, we would get the emergency door seats (free) - which you now must buy. This was a big deal for me as I am also 6'2"! How about that!

Keep traveling and Stay Loose.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:25 pm

I'm a physician and travel within the U.S. several times a year for conferences and to visit family. A friend revolutionized my ideas of travel when she used miles and points to fund her residency interview season, when I spent 5k. Why create a budget when you can fly on miles? I'm here to learn from the experts.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:53 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by debidovey
Thought Id introduce myself. I am wife to mdovenmuehler here and am usually the quiet one . What a great community here, I know for a fact we have spent plenty of time roaming the forums for help, tips and info regarding my husbands point habits and adventures. However a lot of the info we have found was super useful in our daily travels, vacations and good life tips in general. Glad to finally be onboard and I will be doing the Secret Santa as well this year
Welcome @debidovey!

Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Hey everyone.

My name is Joel. For the past 5 years, I've worked as an analyst at a community bank in southern Michigan after graduating with a degree in mathematics.
Welcome @JoelThomas! You've certainly found a like-minded crowd. Even when I go out to lunch with coworkers, if I hear a plane overhead, I still immediately point upwards and exclaim "Ooooh - plane!" like a 5-year old.

Originally Posted by Veiled
I'm a physician and travel within the U.S. several times a year for conferences and to visit family. A friend revolutionized my ideas of travel when she used miles and points to fund her residency interview season, when I spent 5k. Why create a budget when you can fly on miles? I'm here to learn from the experts.
Welcome @Veiled - and hope you'll join our FlyerTalk team on Kiva as well!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by JY1024
You've certainly found a like-minded crowd. Even when I go out to lunch with coworkers, if I hear a plane overhead, I still immediately point upwards and exclaim "Ooooh - plane!" like a 5-year old.
Thanks for the welcome @JY1024 !

It's always dangerous riding in a car that I'm driving past an airport. I get distracted even with a little Cessna taking off/landing/taxiing/even just parked outside.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Baec Bronze
Hi All
Firstly i say thanks for a wonderful, informative and very enjoyable site i came on the site looking for some answers and found a whole new world of opportunity. I never really thought about air travel as a hobby, but have always enjoyed travel either by air, train or sea but with uk rail be as expensive as it these days flying is becoming much more attractive proposition. I am not an aviation enthusiast as such, although i do work G.E Aviation, but there is not much call for air travel in my current post and GE is really clamping down on travel as video conferencing is widely available.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:09 am

Smile Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie here. I am a professional blogger. I love to write blogs on technology, finance and fashion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.