Who we all are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2001, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Welcome to FT Fly by Night-- built your own computer? I'm impressed. And to CozumelJen...if you could carry a full schedule and work full time, I have no doubt you can do anything.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 1:21 am

Nanook, thanks! That's what made me decide that I could do 16 hours in coach, in the middle seat to Hong Kong, no problem!!! :-)

B747-437B - "I'm a rambling, gambling, H*** of an engineer!"

[This message has been edited by CozumelJen (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old Mar 26, 2001, 7:00 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
a big GRUEZI (=welcome in swiss german) to all of you! And yes, even the most addicted FlyerTalkers are, from time to time, away and can't greet you immediately after having posted here - sorry!

See you/read from you hopefully often here and may be in person at one of our get-togethers (like the Catman-Do-III this last weekend in New York)?
Old Mar 26, 2001, 10:27 am

B747-737B, Cozumel Jen- my roommate is a Yellowjacket (chemical engineering) does that count?
BB- do you have Lewisias in your neck of the woods? (my favorite genus)
Nanook- yes, I assembled my first p.c., but that is the easy part. Formatting and installing all of the software is where the knowledge comes in (many hours on the phone with my expert friend in Houston...haven't gotten the phone bill yet!)

Old Mar 26, 2001, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
I guess I missed the current Who's Who. Put this in #7 rather than # 8.

Here it goes:

Hi,
after a few posts, I'll add my info--for those interested.

Although Nobbi is not a legal name, it is my nickname that everyone uses. I originally found this board through my friend Bob (AZ_MISMAN).

I'm originally from Frankfurt, Germany and came to the US with my parents at the age of 12. We moved to Florida where I went to high school (DAB). Then on to ATL for college and med school. Since 1987 I've lived in the SF Bay Area except for a two year mistake in the early 90's when I returned to Central Florida.

I currently live in a big white 1902 Colonial Revival house on the island of Alameda in SF Bay off the coast of OAK about a block from KevinB. My family is composed of my partner of 7 years Jack, our "mother" who actually is my ex's mother whom I inherited in the "divorce" (I got the better deal), our 2 huskies Ricky & Lucy, our 2 beagles George & Gracie, as well as our cat Mau-Katzi. And 2 nights ago we picked up a stray: a black lab mix puppy on the street. So now it looks like the menagerie has grown again!

I work at a large HMO but have to drive down the freeway to Santa Clara which is a horrible commute. I'm a psychopharmacologist working mostly with people with mood disorders.

I, myself, am a mileage & travel addict. The problem is that originally I started flying first class internationally on miles. Then I was hooked. So now I've been spending money we don't have on first class tickets. We used to both be prem ex's on UA when Jack travelled a lot on business. Now all we have is my LH FTL which I got thru a first class RT SFO-FRA in January. I'd like to get to SEN status this year but am not even sure for what reason. Once I have it, what will I do with it? I suppose that the addict in me.

Other than travel (we love Australia & Canada) we both enjoy wine tasting and going out to eat, especially different ethnic cuisines. I also enjoy languages.

I think that's enough for now.

See you all in the future.

Nobbi

2006 update: Wow, a point in history!

So much has happened since I posted this. Jack & I have now been together 12 years. We got married in Canada in Sep 2003. Mother is in a coma in the nursing home. Ricky and mau-katzi have gone to the eternal hubting grounds. We do have 2 new kittens, Joni & Zach. And we have a new room-mate, John, who also tends to the critters, when we're on the road.

I quit my HMO job, was medical director of a county psychiatric facility, and now have been working at a non-profit psych clinic for 2 years.

I now try to fly AS and partners. Still have LH SEN status (originally from a 2001, 3-day post 9/11, *A RTW ticket; later thru an annual fee ).

I travel generally for pleasure.

Last edited by Nobbi; Feb 1, 2006 at 11:36 am
Old Mar 26, 2001, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Welcome Nobbi
Old Mar 27, 2001, 1:26 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Well guess it is time for me to jump in. Been hanging out in The United forum since December and have also been in the Star area, and recently have taken to annoying the folks in the Qantas forum.

<stands up>
Hello. My name is Richard and I have a problem.....

I love my new 1K card, and wonder where there is a 12 step program to help me?

Seriously though, more on me: I'm 30 and work as an IT Consultant. All my travel is out of my own pocket, and I mostly fly RTW itins to meet friends or attend conferences and the like. Currently I'm a Star Alliance man, but who knows where I may be seduced? Although I would enjoy making million miler on UA at some stage. My interests are mostly travel related - I strongly believe that travel is one of the best things you can do - to experience a different culture (and of course meet fellow Flyer Talkers!). I also enjoy Classical Music (Yay for ClassicalGal and NPR!), a bit of sci-fi & fantasy and other geekish activities. I am happy to have met Rudi and indulged in the famous Sidecar!

Potted History: Degree in Computer Science finished in 1992, then a stint of working for the local university's Aerospace Engineering department(running their computer systems) and then a full time job running infrastructure for the University. Joined mileage plus at the same time I got on UA's inagural 777 flight in 1995 and have not looked back. Have been privliged to have seen inside operations at Boeing as well as UAL maintenance @ SFO and WHQ operations control and other areas a few years ago (what a blast!). Got rejected for an IT job with UA (d'oh!) as well as Ansett Australia (but kept trying!).

Have greatly enjoyed the community spirit and kindness of many FT members in the short time I have been here and the exchange of useful information has been wonderful. And it is nice to see that even some in the industry are out there watching what we say - our voice is being heard (eg: Starwood Lurker and Darren@Qantas).

I didn't make the Cartman Do, but hope to make a gettogether sometime soon

------------------
UA 1K MEL
A Star Alliance(tm) Member.
Old Mar 27, 2001, 5:59 am
Original Member

Welcome Richard, nice to have some more non-North Americans on the board.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 8:10 am

Have greatly enjoyed the community spirit and kindness of many FT members in the short time I have been here and the exchange of useful information has been wonderful.
RichardMEL, we enjoy having you with us, too.
Nobbi, an animal lover after my own heart.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
OK, I have been reading the boards for quite a while and finally started posting about a month ago.

The AA threads have helped me much through my travels over the past couple of years.

I'm a 28 yr old male living in the SF Bay Area. I grew up outside of DC in surburban Maryland. I went from one bay to another.

I did some major traveling when I was younger on NW to see family in Asia. That started me on my love for flying. I got a high school trip to Europe and flew BA; I fell in love with travel. When I got my drivers license, I used to planespot at DCA and BWI. It got me into trouble a bunch of times.

I went to undergrad at the University of Maryland Baltimore County which made spotting a lot easier; BWI was only 3 miles away. Didn't do too much flying except to BUF, CLE, MIA, and JFK for conferences and vacations.

Went to grad school in Philly at Drexel University. PHL really sucks for planespotting. Got a job offer from a startup in the Bay Area; dropped my masters and flew AA to SFO. Ever since then, it's been history.

SFO and SJC have pretty good spots to view. My job with the startup had me do some intensive domestic travel with 1 carrier, AA. With my first six months of travel did 48K and had to live with AA GLD due to end of qualifying year. First full yr got AA EXP; still AA EXP.

It's funny I spent most of my time living on AA 767's on redeyes or late flights. I never really got to see my apartment except to pay rent and bills.

Left the startup! Back on the ground a lot more; but I think I'll still make EXP this year. That's scary.

I really miss the East Coast. Still can't find a good slice of NY style pizza out here or a good cheese steak. Plus, my girl friend lives in NJ. I always used to stopover in JFK to see here or spend the weekends there.

I might have seen some of you on my old commute of AA18 and AA59 for business. I'll do anything to fly through JFK for a 767. I don't mind the SF340's that much because they're short hops out of JFK.

It's cool to see other FTer's out there meeting. I can't make the 4/13 dinner in SF because I'll be on my commute.

AA so deep in my blood now that I'm collecting those jet models now. I almost have every plane I've been on except for the MD80 and the A300. I must be sick!!!!
Old Mar 29, 2001, 6:19 am
Original Member

We're all sick in a funny way. Welcome, at least you are in good company!
Old Mar 29, 2001, 7:41 am

SFOJFK, welcome to FlyerTalk. Have you tried spotting planes in Guadalupe River Park in San Jose? It's a great spot, right under the flight path (unless there's a lot of wind, in which case they land from the East Bay side.) It's right off Guadalupe and Taylor.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally posted by SFOJFK:
AA so deep in my blood now that I'm collecting those jet models now. I almost have every plane I've been on except for the MD80 and the A300. I must be sick!!!!
Great hobby. I also sort of collect model airplanes. I try to collect models of planes I have actually flown own, so mainly my collection is of planes I have flown on long haul routes as I am able to buy the airplanes from the duty free catalog. I guess since I fly the MD-80 so much, I should try and track one down for my collection.

Old May 1, 2001, 5:18 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Hi all,

Well, I'm Missy, 31 year old divorced mom of 2 from Beautiful Seattle, Washington.

I grew up here and then spent 9 years away as a military wife, being stationed in San Diego, Pearl Harbor, and that tropical paradise otherwise known as Adak, Alaska.

In my tenor as a Military wife I was also a floral designer. 3 years ago I disposed of the spouse and the floral career ... I really do miss the flowers .. and came home to the Northwest.

I love to travel, and wish my budget allowed for more of it. Last year I went to Vietnam, with a stopover in Hong Kong and a side trip to Bali. I've been to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and a few places in Alaska. I'm leaving for a 17 day trip to Northern Italy next week, and next year, its either Scotland or Costa Rica...I can't decide!

As a Seattle girl and mostly west coast traveler, I am right along side Punki in the "Alaska Rocks the House" club.

When I was living in Alaska, I found my then 1 yr old had cancer, and Alaska Air really went above and beyond when the military would not or could not provide transportation for me to get down here for treatments and family time. (He's 9 years old and just fine now..just so you know )

And in a totally unrelated subject...HOW BOUT THOSE MARINERS!?!?!?!?! Let me just say for the record that John Olerud is DA MAN!!!

It's been jolly good fun reading all of your posts!!

------------------
Have a great day!!
Old May 1, 2001, 5:22 am
Original Member

Welcome missydarlin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.